British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

So you would expect to get in free because you were once a Speedway rider? Others have said a well known one would be good P.R by chatting to fans etc., but I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of recognising you or indeed many others who are now in their 50's or 60's. I saw a recent photo of Bruce Penhall the other day and would never have known it was him as he has changed so much from the blonde bombshell of the 1980's. I suppose in your case I'd just have to wait until you moaned about people taking dogs to Speedway tracks then I'd know it was the famous Robert Homer ~ 1972 version. :lol:

You smiled and said hello to me before in passing, I thought there's that dog woman :) hehe

That rules Leigh Adams out then,

However it's ok for those who have made millions from the sport to come in for free but those who have paid thousands and made nothing have to pay.

I think a £50 season ticket to all tracks for riders who have rode over a 3 year period and the money going to the Ben fund would be a worthwhile idea.

Yeah Leigh Adams hasnt put in 5 years service to British Speedway. Your posts are hilarious

However it's ok for those who have made millions from the sport to come in for free but those who have paid thousands and made nothing have to pay.

I think a £50 season ticket to all tracks for riders who have rode over a 3 year period and the money going to the Ben fund would be a worthwhile idea.

Not at all as Leigh gave more than 5 years service to British speedway. As for rider who have made good money out of the sport getting in free, they would tend to be stars of the sport who like I said fans would be interested in hearing from or talking to, rather some old 2 bit rider like you!

Edited by Wackie
  • Like 1

Sorry that's simply not true, at least in the top flight - a good friend of mine had a career in the premier league, playing for my team Arsenal among others in the top flight and he most certainly does NOT get in free in the normal sense at any of his clubs.

If he's requested by the club to do some corporate, ex player / commentary stuff he of course gets in free, but ad-hoc, he most certainly does not.

Same happens all round the country.

Anyway, off to work..

Your spot on, a schoolfriend of mine James Harper used to play for Reading and got them promoted and scored goals in the Premier League and he has to pay wherever he goes.

Its down to the clubs and i believe you have to be classed as a club or speedway legend to gain free entry and even then its the clubs discretion.

As British World Champions , Havelock , Loram and Woffinden should be able to go to any track and expect not to pay.

At my club Ipswich i would expect Loram Louis(although promoter so doesnt count) Doncaster (machine examiner so again doesnt count) to get in for free along with Hare and Jansson for obvious reasons. Others who could would be overseas legends that dont live here like Sigalos and Cook.

When Hans Nielsen came to Risagers testimonial he didnt pay he was like a guest of honour.

Personally i dont get why all ex riders should get in for free, thats a lot of mediocre riders that can just go every week free of charge and what did they put into the sport??

Im sure Robert72 can answer why he feels he should get in free

• Like 1

Yeah Leigh Adams hasnt put in 5 years service to British Speedway. Your posts are hilarious

Your post is even more hilarious as it's clear you cannot read what's been said by your reply, so funny

It seems all these years we the fans have been conned.They ain't doing it for our entertainment.They are doing it for a free pass!!!!!

• Like 2

Personally i dont get why all ex riders should get in for free, thats a lot of mediocre riders that can just go every week free of charge and what did they put into the sport??

Im sure Robert72 can answer why he feels he should get in free

As suggested I would happily pay £50 for a season ticket for all tracks going to the Ben fund that get in completely free.

However there is a word RESPECT and any rider who has raced for teams deserves that respect many feel by allowing them to see speedway for free.

It seems all these years we the fans have been conned.They ain't doing it for our entertainment.They are doing it for a free pass!!!!!

And you really believe riders do it for the fans ? Look at tai and then make your decision

As suggested I would happily pay £50 for a season ticket for all tracks going to the Ben fund that get in completely free.

However there is a word RESPECT and any rider who has raced for teams deserves that respect many feel by allowing them to see speedway for free.

And you really believe riders do it for the fans ? Look at tai and then make your decision

No,i don't believe the riders do it for the fans.They do it for themselves,the thrill,the glory and the money.You got out of the sport what you put in,so why do you now expect some extra life time bonus?

• Like 2

Wellie was part of the Management Team at Reading then, so not an ex rider getting in for free. He was one of a kind of course who could probably of got away with charging promoters for his attendance at their stadium for his entertainment value.

I like the idea of an 'ex riders pass' with subs from which going to the Ben Fund. Even with this though, there needs to be some qualifying criteria such as 5 years services to British/National or EL/PL or a career ending injury sustained on track.

Of course you'd never expect the likes of Rickardsson, Ward, Hancock etc to pay to get into any stadium as the likelyhood is if they did attend a UK meeting they'd be publically interviewed during the meeting and adding to the entertainment value in that way.

Wackies post clearly stating 5 years service to British Speedway

so in what way is Leigh Adams ruled out??

No,i don't believe the riders do it for the fans.They do it for themselves,the thrill,the glory and the money.You got out of the sport what you put in,so why do you now expect some extra life time bonus?

90% of British riders got either into debt racing or living with injuries and most no longer attend matches so giving them a pass is not a glorified bonus but some respect for being part of the history of British speedway.

• Like 1

Your post is even more hilarious as it's clear you cannot read what's been said by your reply, so funny

so enlighten me then?

You really believe that just because you had a go at the sport that by making a tiny donation to the Ben Fund you should be able to get in where you want???? There are hundreds of people who tried the sport and werent that good, respect to them for having a go but farcical if you think they deserve free entry.

Oh well done for mentioning Tai again its been a while i was getting worried about you

90% of British riders got either into debt racing or living with injuries and most no longer attend matches so giving them a pass is not a glorified bonus but some respect for being part of the history of British speedway.

History of British Speedway!!!!!! You think anyone who 'had a go' played a part in speedways history!!!! Ive heard it all now mate you are priceless

• Like 1

People get into debt all the time and in all sorts of jobs.They don't get that sort of life time bonus or respect.Seems a very strange mentality.I wonder if fans could expect a life time pass if they also got into debt partly because of funding their speedway trips?Or if fans who attended 20 or 30 years of watching the sport could get a free pass as a thanks for their contribution,which is a lot more than someone who rode a handful of meetings over a 3 or 4 year period

I was just a few weeks ago in one of the old coal mining areas of Germany and was shown the huses where they used to/still live and was told that

ex-coal miners receive a lifetime supply of coal.But I imagine that is miners who had many years working the mines and not just anyone who ever worked a few months or couple of years

Edited by iris123

People get into debt all the time and in all sorts of jobs.They don't get that sort of life time bonus or respect.Seems a very strange mentality.I wonder if fans could expect a life time pass if they also got into debt partly because of funding their speedway trips?Or if fans who attended 20 or 30 years of watching the sport could get a free pass as a thanks for their contribution,which is a lot more than someone who rode a handful of meetings over a 3 or 4 year period

I was just a few weeks ago in one of the old coal mining areas of Germany and was shown the huses where they used to/still live and was told that

ex-coal miners receive a lifetime supply of coal.But I imagine that is miners who had many years working the mines and not just anyone who ever worked a few months or couple of years

100% right its just Robert72 yet again with his strange line of thought

As I said earlier, just give all riders a free pass, with the exception of Robert72.

• Like 2

im still waiting Robert72 about the answer to the Leigh Adams question please