British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Team Gb For World Cup

So if they all turned up Monday,and got the set up for the track then.Come Saturday and the track is completely different,Monday's set up would have been a complete waste of time.As Rosco said it was completely down to the riders whether they wanted to come or not.So i respect what he said,afterall he is the team GB manager and he makes the decisions regarding the team not us.

Think this is a bit of a cop out. We've all talked about picking riders who have performed well at Belle Vue yet some of the same people are saying no point in practicing as the track will be different. If the weekend is dry the track will be different to what King won the British title on as an example. Can't have it both ways. Surely testing will be beneficial whatever as there are several lines around BV, I'm sure Cook for example passed on his knowledge of riding there more than anyone else. This is a World Cup Final and all sides should do what they can to gain that extra few percent.

Can anyone tell me what the role/point is of having a Captain for each World Cup side?

Set an example has to be number one. Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

because he gets the track to himself maybe..and the right set up will be different come race day.. every top rider has said practise is useless as it is never the same.. but practise on saturday morning will be brilliant because the track will be pretty much the same as it was during practise.. and it wasnt a practise it was an open invitation to test kit..

as i said if rosco is happy with the team then we should get behind them.. why get on their backs about a practise that wasnt really a practise !!

The track will measure exactly the same. The banking will be exactly the same. There's a thing called home track advantage. Its where the home riders know the best way around it regardless of conditions. That never changes. The team could have had a full days practice together and taken advice off Cook who had ridden it more than anyone else.

By going on holiday, or having a tattoo, instead of using the facility, means that small little advantage they would have picked up is gone. They will go into the meeting with the same knowledge as every other rider, rather than knowing the quickest way around.

Really unprofessional.

Woffinden now moaning about the haters but really he brings it on himself every time. I am certainly not a hater but he frustrates the hell out of many fans.

• Like 3

The track will measure exactly the same. The banking will be exactly the same. There's a thing called home track advantage. Its where the home riders know the best way around it regardless of conditions. That never changes. The team could have had a full days practice together and taken advice off Cook who had ridden it more than anyone else.

By going on holiday, or having a tattoo, instead of using the facility, means that small little advantage they would have picked up is gone. They will go into the meeting with the same knowledge as every other rider, rather than knowing the quickest way around.

Really unprofessional.

Woffinden now moaning about the haters but really he brings it on himself every time. I am certainly not a hater but he frustrates the hell out of many fans.

how many tracks do you think Tai goes to where he doesnt know what the track is like.. i suggest every temporary track on the GP circuit.

While I agree a designated GB team day or couple of days should have been done... it wasnt this was a last minute day that was organised.. which has already been confirmed by someone connected to Adam Ellis.

If and only if Tai didnt bother with that then yeah your comments would have been justified.. but even rosco said this should of been a closed thing but social media got the better of them getting a chance to hit the track

• Like 1

Really unprofessional.

You're not quite following this are you.

Woffinden arranged a practice in Poland, a full day, some time ago to test new equipment for the World Cup. He put travel plans in place for both himself and his equipment some time ago.

Then, as confirmed by Adam Ellis's father at the last minute Rossiter informs the riders there is an opportunity to practice at Belle Vue.

So at this point, Lambert is away on holiday, Woffinden's equipment is in Poland where he already has practice lined up.

Nothing to do with being unprofessional at all.

Had this practice been arranged some time ago and they willingly chose to miss it, you would have a point.

• Like 5

The best practice should have been the semi-final. I really don't like the hosts being seeded straight to the final, if they have to be seeded anywhere it should be to the semi only so they earn their right to be in the final.

• Like 4

The best practice should have been the semi-final. I really don't like the hosts being seeded straight to the final, if they have to be seeded anywhere it should be to the semi only so they earn their right to be in the final.

Well it certainly would have saved some of the comments this Thread if they had done that.

We probably wouldn't have made the Final then.

I actually agree with you about that. If we are not good enough - we shouldn't be in it.

Well it certainly would have saved some of the comments this Thread if they had done that.

We probably wouldn't have made the Final then.

I actually agree with you about that. If we are not good enough - we shouldn't be in it.

To be fair, there will be at least one nation that is good enough but won't be in the final, maybe two.

To be fair, there will be at least one nation that is good enough but won't be in the final, maybe two.

Exactly.

We will never know though as we got through only due to the location of the Final.

To me - that is a despicable way to 'qualify'.

• Like 2

Exactly.

We will never know though as we got through only due to the location of the Final.

To me - that is a despicable way to 'qualify'.

It is and it surely means that the final could never be staged at somewhere like Gorican or Daugavpils under current rules.

I think a few things need changing, which I've decided needs some more thought but I'll come back to it :)

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 1

Really unprofessional.

In addition to BWitcher's reply to you SS, I'd like to add that Tai Woffinden is arguably the best rider in the world at the moment and one of the reasons he is, is because he (like others such as Hancock) can adapt to new tracks and new conditions extremely quickly. He is a naturally talented rider that can do that and there's only a handful of those about these days.

Yes, he can also go the other way at times and get it wrong, but that's what the practice on the day is for! It only takes a few laps to get a feel for things and he'll get that on the day.

So in light of that, what's the issue??

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 1

In addition to BWitcher's reply to you SS, I'd like to add that Tai Woffinden is arguably the best rider in the world at the moment and one of the reasons he is, is because he (like others such as Hancock) can adapt to new tracks and new conditions extremely quickly. He is a naturally talented rider that can do that and there's only a handful of those about these days.

Yes, he can also go the other way at times and get it wrong, but that's what the practice on the day is for! It only takes a few laps to get a feel for things and he'll get that on the day.

you also forgot he will be there Friday to watch the raceoff.. i am pretty sure he will see what line people are riding from that..

• Like 1

You're not quite following this are you.

Woffinden arranged a practice in Poland, a full day, some time ago to test new equipment for the World Cup. He put travel plans in place for both himself and his equipment some time ago.

Then, as confirmed by Adam Ellis's father at the last minute Rossiter informs the riders there is an opportunity to practice at Belle Vue.

So at this point, Lambert is away on holiday, Woffinden's equipment is in Poland where he already has practice lined up.

Nothing to do with being unprofessional at all.

Had this practice been arranged some time ago and they willingly chose to miss it, you would have a point.

I get it exactly. I'm just not a Tai aplogist.

If he had arranged a practice in Poland for the SWC, then it was a bit foolhardy as the actual track where the event is taking place was available to him. So rather than go all the way to Poland he could have quickly motored up the M6 to practice.

The issue is he and Lambert failed to show up at practice. In any other sporting discipline they would have been drummed out of the team snd replaced, but as teamgb are a bit short of quality thats a bit problematic.

To say he would have sussed the track in a few laps is fine. He is World Champion so has the ability. But he is also Captain of the team and therefore has the responsibility to other members of the team. Not every rider can suss the fastest way around the track, and so he could have passed on his knowledge and expertise to other members of the team.

I Will be there cheering the team on, but this could be humiliating.

I get it exactly. I'm just not a Tai aplogist.

If he had arranged a practice in Poland for the SWC, then it was a bit foolhardy as the actual track where the event is taking place was available to him. So rather than go all the way to Poland he could have quickly motored up the M6 to practice.

The issue is he and Lambert failed to show up at practice. In any other sporting discipline they would have been drummed out of the team snd replaced, but as teamgb are a bit short of quality thats a bit problematic.

To say he would have sussed the track in a few laps is fine. He is World Champion so has the ability. But he is also Captain of the team and therefore has the responsibility to other members of the team. Not every rider can suss the fastest way around the track, and so he could have passed on his knowledge and expertise to other members of the team.

I Will be there cheering the team on, but this could be humiliating.

Adam Ellis's Dad said this was a last minute thing SS.. not an organised practise especially an official GB Practise.

Meaning if his bikes etc are over there with the new engines etc ready to test in Poland then he can hardly go to the UK one..

Yeah I suppose he could have been there to help but all these guys have been chosen on their riding ability so what could he have said to them ?? nothing really couldnt even help them out with gearing etc.. they have all riden the track before.. they will probably tell him more about what gearing they have been riding on then he can alter that to how his engines run.. Testing in Poland he has the track to himself he knows what the track is like so he can really see if its the engines or indeed the track.. testing engines have to be on something he has a basis to compare them on.. on a track he has never riden or knows the surface its hard to test an engine... thats my view to see real improvement you need a basis to go from.

I also think your last bit could be the same even if they practised on it for months.. Poland and Sweden already through and Sweden looked brilliant last night..

Adam Ellis's Dad said this was a last minute thing SS.. not an organised practise especially an official GB Practise.

Meaning if his bikes etc are over there with the new engines etc ready to test in Poland then he can hardly go to the UK one..

Yeah I suppose he could have been there to help but all these guys have been chosen on their riding ability so what could he have said to them ?? nothing really couldnt even help them out with gearing etc.. they have all riden the track before.. they will probably tell him more about what gearing they have been riding on then he can alter that to how his engines run.. Testing in Poland he has the track to himself he knows what the track is like so he can really see if its the engines or indeed the track.. testing engines have to be on something he has a basis to compare them on.. on a track he has never riden or knows the surface its hard to test an engine... thats my view to see real improvement you need a basis to go from.

I also think your last bit could be the same even if they practised on it for months.. Poland and Sweden already through and Sweden looked brilliant last night..

Blimey you don't half talk some sense! :D

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 1

Why was it arranged last minute, it should've been booked weeks ago! The riders should've been told practice is Monday when Rosco spoke to them last week. That would have given them time to make/change arrangements. Totally amateurish to have this facility and not use it to practice.

• Like 5