British Speedway Forum
BL65

Best Visiting Rider At Your Track

Did you think Hackney was dangerous Terry"? i never even thought about it until Vic Harding was killed.I loved my trips to Hackney some great racing i think in a way the stadium was like Blackbird Rd another track i loved.Both had a few pylons there which looking back was dangerous they both were old outdated stadiums both great tracks though great nights at the Wick.

Obviously I don't want to be too critical because Hackney Speedway was my first love!

It was a great racetrack, always well prepared and most riders enjoyed racing on it, but you're right about the pylons.

They were too close to the track, and even though the track wasn't quite as good with the alterations prior to the move into the NL, it was a lot safer.

Darcy Ward at swindon about 2/3 years ago

July 1978, Lee scored a 12 point maximum for Stars at Hyde Road, setting the three fastest times of the meeting and beating Peter Collins, Les Collins and Chris Morton (twice).

July 1978, Lee scored a 12 point maximum for Stars at Hyde Road, setting the three fastest times of the meeting and beating Peter Collins, Les Collins and Chris Morton (twice).

Can you remember Lee scoring 6 points aged 16 for Mildenhall and when he had a great race with PC in the Golden jubilee meeting after PC had beaten Davey for the Helmet.?

Obviously I don't want to be too critical because Hackney Speedway was my first love!

It was a great racetrack, always well prepared and most riders enjoyed racing on it, but you're right about the pylons.

They were too close to the track, and even though the track wasn't quite as good with the alterations prior to the move into the NL, it was a lot safer.

Before 1983, Hackney was no less safe than, for example, Leicester, Coventry, Sheffield, Swindon, Wolverhampton (albeit a slower track).

And it was no more dangerous than those track with solid fences, especially the faster ones - inc Exeter, Halifax, King's Lynn, Belle Vue (where there was more space to take evasive action).

And then there was Bristol and Newport...

The collapsible fences at Wimbledon and Ipswich looked safest, generally speaking.

Can you remember Lee scoring 6 points aged 16 for Mildenhall and when he had a great race with PC in the Golden jubilee meeting after PC had beaten Davey for the Helmet.?

I remember Lee riding for Boston and King's Lynn early in his career, but not Mildenhall.

I remember Lee riding for Boston and King's Lynn early in his career, but not Mildenhall.

Sorry BL the challenge meeting or some cup ?at Hyde Rd was for Boston you are right.He ended up as no1 aged 16 riding in the NLRC he did go to Hyde Rd for regular training rides aged 14/15 when connected to Mildenhall. Edited by Sidney the robin

Sorry BL the challenge meeting or some cup ?at Hyde Rd was for Boston you are right.He ended up as no1 aged 16 riding in the NLRC he did go to Hyde Rd for regular training rides aged 14/15 when connected to Mildenhall.

The meeting referred to was the Inter League KO Cup Semi Final on 17th September 1975, when Belle Vue beat Boston 58-20. Lee scored 6 points from 5 rides for Boston. Morton, Wilkinson, Collins, Sjosten and Hodgson were unbeaten by the opposition.

The meeting referred to was the Inter League KO Cup Semi Final on 17th September 1975, when Belle Vue beat Boston 58-20. Lee scored 6 points from 5 rides for Boston. Morton, Wilkinson, Collins, Sjosten and Hodgson were unbeaten by the opposition.

How many 16 year olds ended up as a no 1 with a nine point average in there rookie season.This also and some will disagree was in a very tough competetive NL full of different teams different types of tracks a different challenge at every track.

How many 16 year olds ended up as a no 1 with a nine point average in there rookie season.This also and some will disagree was in a very tough competetive NL full of different teams different types of tracks a different challenge at every track.

Ronnie Moore was 17 when he completed his first season in the top division of the National League with an average of 7.23. He improved on this to achieve 9.95 in 1951 and 11.27 in 1952.

Lee's league average in his first season, in the lower league, was 9.13. In his second and third seasons, in the British League, he achieved 7.53 and 10.64.

Edited by BL65

Ronnie Moore was 17 when he completed his first season in the top division of the National League with an average of 7.23. He improved on this to achieve 9.95 in 1951 and 11.27 in 1952.

Mirac you would have to say was thrown into a higher standard than Lee was he was some rider.In my lifetime Lee/Ward are the most talented younger riders i ever saw ride Screen and Loram would get a mention to. Edited by Sidney the robin

Mirac you would have to say was thrown into a higher standard than Lee was he was some rider.In my lifetime Lee/Ward are the most talented younger riders i ever saw ride Screen and Loram would get a mention to.

Arthur Forrest was 17 when he completed his first season for Halifax in Division 3 of the National League with a league average of 9.06 in 1949. The following season he moved into Division 2 and upped his average to 11.00.

Arthur Forrest was 17 when he completed his first season for Halifax in Division 3 of the National League with a league average of 9.06 in 1949. The following season he moved into Division 2 and upped his average to 11.00.

E.Boocock when he moved up in 65 was it? was he just a six pointer then? he really improved at a fast rate.

E.Boocock when he moved up in 65 was it? was he just a six pointer then? he really improved at a fast rate.

Eric averaged 8.50 in the Provincial League for Middlesbrough in 1963 and 1964. When the British League was formed in 1965 he was one of the big success stories, increasing his league average to 9.44.

I almost overlooked the achievement of Brian Crutcher, who was 16 when he joined Poole in 1951 and averaged 9.52 in the National League Division 3. He reached the World Final the following year.

Eric averaged 8.50 in the Provincial League for Middlesbrough in 1963 and 1964. When the British League was formed in 1965 he was one of the big success stories, increasing his league average to 9.44.

I almost overlooked the achievement of Brian Crutcher, who was 16 when he joined Poole in 1951 and averaged 9.52 in the National League Division 3. He reached the World Final the following year.

Charlie Monk was a an interesting rider for me a top boy in mid sixties won the Wills International was it? unluckily never reached a world final.Never ever see him ride but my uncle really rated him how good was Billy Bales BL.?