British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Lakeside V Poole Friday 1st July

Never understand why teams want 'bragging rights' surely the fact that Lakeside will or possibly should take all the points is the only important issue.

I have a friend who supports Spurs and he lives and breathes for their results against Arsenal (and West Ham). He openly taunts us if Spurs beat said team but then come the end of the season they are always behind Arsenal!!

Would you be bragging if Poole win at Lakeside (full strength or not) but then ultimatly dont make the top 4? One match means nothing in the context of the whole season.

Nope, and trophies are not given out in july.. ;)

Oh dear another moaner from the sidelines who ignores the reality of the situation

When someone starts his post like this i get an idea in my head what kinda person im a dealing with!!!.You dont know me,i say it as i see it.if you think im having a moan thats up to you.All im trying to do is put my point across.I still dont understand how Danish league fixtures mean Danich riders have to do theses first.Tungate who rides in both leagues is not needed by his Danish club and can ride for Swindon.DID HE HAVE A CHOICE?

Lakeside have a huge chance to reach the top 4. Have this meeting with a low attendence but the long term gain of a play off spot outweighs that.

And that is most likely to be the overriding factor, never mind that the whole thing is supposed to entertain the paying supporter it's a guaranteed 3 points and almost guarantees Lakeside to make the play offs.

As for everything else they get stuffed, entertainment value zero, away fan attraction zero, passing fan attraction zero.

And while this sort of mentality continues amongst promoters this sport will just continue on its downward spiral, I dare say in a few weeks times Cook and others will again be bleating at the lack of support. Most cannot see the wood from the trees.

And next week the GP circus rolls into Cardiff, all the top riders, entertainment, fan zones, razzmatazz and the turnout from the supporters, numbers of which the BSPA can only dream about.

• Like 2

When someone starts his post like this i get an idea in my head what kinda person im a dealing with!!!.You dont know me,i say it as i see it.if you think im having a moan thats up to you.All im trying to do is put my point across.I still dont understand how Danish league fixtures mean Danich riders have to do theses first.Tungate who rides in both leagues is not needed by his Danish club and can ride for Swindon.DID HE HAVE A CHOICE?

pretty sure it's in their contracts at the start of the season... on the very odd occasion it's been known to change.... (very very odd occasion that is)

Well here less than two miles (max) from the Dartford Crossing on the Kent side, I had to go out earlier this morning (9amish) and it was light drizzle (mizzle?) that was falling when I left here which had stopped when I came back an hour later and it's been dry ever since. We'll be off to the track in around 45mins time and, traffic permitting, will be at the track circa 3.30. I'll do a further update from there once I've sorted everything else to be done deputising for the club's general manager who is still not able to resume.

See some of you later? Can't help but wonder if SS might run his vehicle on free beetroot juice if he could! ;)

UPDATE: Forget what I said about being at track circa 3.30pm as it's now 3.15pm and my lift, coming up from the Kent coast, has not arrived yet.

That's the bad news, the good news is that it's still dry here and patches of blue sky have appeared.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Surely the Poole boys will be happy to see a meeting of any sort after all this time. Ffs even belle Vue have overtaken them after their fiasco at the start of the season.

And that is most likely to be the overriding factor, never mind that the whole thing is supposed to entertain the paying supporter it's a guaranteed 3 points and almost guarantees Lakeside to make the play offs.

As for everything else they get stuffed, entertainment value zero, away fan attraction zero, passing fan attraction zero.

And while this sort of mentality continues amongst promoters this sport will just continue on its downward spiral, I dare say in a few weeks times Cook and others will again be bleating at the lack of support. Most cannot see the wood from the trees.

And next week the GP circus rolls into Cardiff, all the top riders, entertainment, fan zones, razzmatazz and the turnout from the supporters, numbers of which the BSPA can only dream about.

I get what you are saying but Lakeside dont have an alternative.

They have 2 choices:

1. Postpone the match (which they said they tried to do) then have Poole come back full strength and possibly get the points that stop Lakeside form making the play offs

or

2. Run the match against a weak Poole side and hopefully get all the league points. This will boost there play off chances and lead to a minimum of 1 play off match with a large bumper crowd which could lead to a second bumper crowd should they reach the final.

Option number 2 would make much more financial sense. Have a small crowd tonight but gain in the long term

If they postponed tonight they might either not fix the fixture in or risk not getting the points.

I can see why people are up in arms but its obvious why Lakeside want to run the meeting.

Im sure if it was Poole at home they would run 100%

Cook was dismissive of online critics, including supporters of both sides, who argued staging the fixture would be bad for speedway.

“I don’t care for the opinions of the few people that pour scorn on our sport at every single opportunity and I don’t take any notice of them,”

“It is what that element do which is why I have no time for them or their opinions. I stay blissfully ignorant to all of that.”

And that right there is why the promoters are failing miserably to pull this sport out of the deep deep grave it has worked so hard to dig for itself. There is a stark difference between blissfully ignorant and pig-ignorant Mr Cook.

Spot on. And while he has his attitude most people will be "blissfully ignorant" of speedway.

Posted on Twitter by LakesideHammers :- Edward Kennett ruled out of tonight's meeting due to illness. Ben Morley comes in at Number 8.

Edited by KevtheRev

Slightly later than planned - chauffeur has just arrived, I'll update next from track. Let's go racing! :)

Slightly later than planned - chauffeur has just arrived, I'll update next from track. Let's go racing! :)

There won't be much actual racing, some riders may get lapped!

Ricky Wells isn't that bad!! ;)

I'm sure there'll be much more racing here tonight, where incidentally the sun's been shining, it's blue sky and some white fluffy cloud as at 17.45 than there'll be on the gogglebox. Still there's soccer to watch on that, not England I'm afraid as I think they got knocked out, but the Boyos happily bashing Belgium! Shame really as I like Belgium buns :);)

Edited by Bryn

7pm UPDATE:

Caught the edge of a shower circa 25mins ago that didn't last long and the sun soon came out aqnd is shining brightly now as I type. Can hear Andy on the PA and it all adds up to the meeting being ON! Come on down as someone used to say on the gogglebox as I'm sure the Welsh win over Belgium with that round ball will be repeated numerous times on your TV in the days ahead! :)

Nigh on 7.30pm, bikes aqre warming up in the pits, meeting is ON and I'm off to watch it!
  • Like 1

Brandon got your share of the rain. Was torrential just as it was near to starting.

Can't believe the line ups for tonight's meeting.