British Speedway Forum
Gresham

Things You Miss In Speedway...

Not at Glasgow, the team are in the bar having a bite to eat and sign autographs. :t::cheers:

Ah...well....that's Premier League riders for you. I hope Leicester return to that league next season.

Christ, people miss war crys? They're as cringe as it gets and it's a bloody good thing that they have died a death.

Cradley v Wolves without a doubt.

I can recall Sam Ermolenko telling the story of when he tried to explain the meaning of the Dudley / Wolves Trophy to Freddie Lindgren and why half of each side was regularly injured at the end of each encounter.

All Freddie could keep saying was "I don't understand - it was a challenge match!"

Yes but what a challenge match!

• Like 3

Where did it all go wrong? I know people started to think it was a serious sport with no strange rules as television showed riders getting double points for beating an opponent, the same riders that they saw last week but riding for a different team to that shown the previous week and the use of a joker in the World Cup which made it a competitive sport thus leaving outsiders wondering if it was for real or a new cartoon series. Oh well.

Bless. Another load of baloney.

• Like 2

Christ, people miss war crys? They're as cringe as it gets and it's a bloody good thing that they have died a death.

Here's the opinion of a 20 something lol So are u prepared to chant then 😆

anyone remember "soldier boy" who was a bit of a character on the terraces?

Remember him well! Didn't he win the lottery or something?

cradley v wolves derbies,

also the cradley v coventry matches were good

other things missing are a good second half , and some interval entertainments...

Cradley v Wolves without a doubt.

I can recall Sam Ermolenko telling the story of when he tried to explain the meaning of the Dudley / Wolves Trophy to Freddie Lindgren and why half of each side was regularly injured at the end of each encounter.

All Freddie could keep saying was "I don't understand - it was a challenge match!"

Yes but what a challenge match!

they had to be seen to be believed !!!

they were beyond any doubt the best matches every year ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aI8p9zDb4g

the glasgow derbie had nothin on these, turn the sound up and enjoy the good old days!

Edited by heathen chemistry
  • Like 3

other things missing are a good second half , and some interval entertainments...

the glasgow derbie had nothin on these, turn the sound up and enjoy the good old days!

The proper good old days, proper noise of engines and listen to the noise and excitement of the large crowd. Seems the new silencers have had the same effect on the terraces as they have had on the bikes. Glad I saw those days ,sadly never to return !

Edited by New Science
  • Like 2

Agreed!

Absolutely!! Embarrassing. Edited by frigbo

I absolutely loved MBI videos production quality, the only thing lacking I'm afraid was the commentary which was soooo flat. This race is a classic example of that, super exciting race, crowd going wild and Mike Bennet may as well be commentating on Bowls.

They get some abuse, but Nige and Kelvin commentating would have made that race seem multiple times more exciting on screen.

A pint of Hansons Mild in the Victoria next to Dudley Wood Stadium (and a couple more in the Swan with Two Necks on the way back to Cradley Heath Station!)

Pork and Stuffing Sarnies at Dudley Wood.

Wednesday nights at Station Rd,Long Eaton.

Monday nights at Ladbroke Stadium,Perry Barr.

Inter-Continental Finals at White City.

Kenny Carter.

• Like 1

British Final at Coventry on a Sunday.

With no bloody semi and final nonsense.

• Like 2