British Speedway Forum

Guest GiveusaB

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this....but imo, the date will affect the attendance numbers? 3rd wk JULY ? main holiday season .... hotel prices far more expensive etc etc ???

The British GP remains the domestic must see showpiece of the season. However, for once I was disappointed with the crowd management. I can only vouch for the chaos at Gate 6/7 where, having arrived early, our group had to run to catch the opening ceremony. Crowd safety is paramount and as an ex-member of law enforcement I am acutely aware of the need to minimise risk. Yet there was no prior warning (that I was made aware of) of the time it would take to negotiate security (if so we would have arrived a lot earlier). Also in my professional opinion the volume of supporters being corralled presented an inherent risk. Furthermore, the final body / bag search (excluding the wand) was so cursory as to make it pretty meaningless. If security are going to do the job then do it properly.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this....but imo, the date will affect the attendance numbers? 3rd wk JULY ? main holiday season .... hotel prices far more expensive etc etc ???

Same time of year as 2017 then.

What "we" dont have is the booking schedule for the Principality Stadium. Maybe they already booked up for earlier dates. Few years ago it used to be June, maybe thats not available.

Or the fact they need more then a week that they used to have to build the track. Remember Warsaw was only 2015 and that fiasco with the track is what sent the building of the track from 1 week up to nearly 2 weeks. Perhaps they cant have up to 2 weeks in June.

Or it could be available dates for other GP's that are a problem.

None of us know what may effect selection of dates, so its so easy to criticise.

I would assume that it is either the dates at the stadium or the other dates for the GPs as they build the track only in the last week this time.

i thought the rider introductions was a bit strange with them all riding out in the dark, with some riders getting called straight into the middle, others being sent round for a lap.

I enjoyed the fire entertainment, that's the sort of stuff I like anyway, and thought it worked well, never really seen the need for paying out big money on pre-meeting entertainment of x-factor losers or whatever when there's very few inside at that time to see it anyway.

STEVE ... no rider was "sent" round for a lap. They just mis-understood what they were supposed to do. That's why belatedly a steward was posted by the victory lane to let them know where to go.

• Like 2

Guest GiveusaB

Same time of year as 2017 then.

What "we" dont have is the booking schedule for the Principality Stadium. Maybe they already booked up for earlier dates. Few years ago it used to be June, maybe thats not available.

Or the fact they need more then a week that they used to have to build the track. Remember Warsaw was only 2015 and that fiasco with the track is what sent the building of the track from 1 week up to nearly 2 weeks. Perhaps they cant have up to 2 weeks in June.

Or it could be available dates for other GP's that are a problem.

None of us know what may effect selection of dates, so its so easy to criticise.

I wasnt criticizing? I was merely pointing out that the mid July date makes it more expensive and therefore affects attendance levels!

Funny that, interviewed in the main newspapers and several times on TV leading up to and during the evening and not one swear word.

Funny that, I saw him on the official live SGP Q&A web feed and he swore. Must have edited out his foul language in the newspaper do you think? and on the TV

Guest GiveusaB

STEVE ... no rider was "sent" round for a lap. They just mis-understood what they were supposed to do. That's why belatedly a steward was posted by the victory lane to let them know where to go.

Tbf...It was a poxy entrance by the riders....a couple of them nearly lost control on entering the Centre Green !

There was no need to ride across the centre?

Once round the track and line-up at the starting gate has always worked for me....

Opening ceremony took far too long. Boring.

Why introduce the riders with the lights down. Couldn't see who there were from the top tier. Waste of time.

Edited by marky

Boring to you. Listening to the reception, enjoyable to many.

• Like 1

25,000 in a full stadium looks a lot better than 35,000 in a half empty stadium, it's all about image to the punter watching at home.

Cutting capacity to just those 25,000 that can afford the increased priced that demand/supply economics will result in?

What happened to Speedway for the many, not just the few? What happened to anti-capitalism and anti-globalisation?

Will you need a British passport to get a ticket, to placate your pro-Brexit / anti-Polish contingent on here? Will there be concessionary prices for people on benefits?

• Like 2

Funny that, I saw him on the official live SGP Q&A web feed and he swore. Must have edited out his foul language in the newspaper do you think? and on the TV

it was live so nothing edited out,the papers usually use asteriks for swearing.

Anyone know official attendance, perhaps Mr.Rising?

The capacity for speedway is around 62000.

One of my Polish colleagues who was in Cardiff told me in Poznan yesterday that it was around 32k.

As opposed to just 32 who were in Poznan watching the U21's!

One of my Polish colleagues who was in Cardiff told me in Poznan yesterday that it was around 32k.

So if correct about half full, would be the lowest crowd i've been in there.

Wouldn't have thought the majority would stay over.

Total lack of stewards to enforce the no standing during racing rule.

A few points.

Ticket prices are rather high. A seat looking down the back straight costs £49.

Can't comment on hotel prices as we were on an organised tour staying 6 miles out from the city centre.

The attendance looked down on previous years. Those watching on TV wouldn't have noticed the stand on the tapes side which had significantly fewer spectators than the stand opposite the cameras.

Security checks were thorough. A few late comers were complaining, but that's their problem. Should've arrived earlier.

The Polish fans are great. Without their presence it would've been pretty flat.

As for Craig Cook. Out of his depth in this class I'm afraid.

Anyone who had money on Lindback may be interested to learn he was spotted in a chippy at 1am on Saturday morning. Hardly ideal preparation.

Paid 38 quid on back straight right opposite tapes.

I heard that was a Lindback dreadlocked lookylikey robbing the joint!