British Speedway Forum

I can't actually believe what's happened in the last 48 hours, I honestly thought it was the end of Coventry Speedway and Stock cars at Brandon. If what's reported today actually happens and all parties stick to whatever has been agreed, I like many supporters will be very happy and relieved. From the pictures its clearly going to be a huge task to reinstate the fixtures, fittings, Armco fencing, lighting, etc, but hopefully this can be done. I drove past the stadium tonight and the main car park gates were again wide open with little visible security lighting at the Stadium. My worry now is that unless the Stadium is secured by the new owner within days, the travelling fraternity will return and cause further damage to the Stadium.

• Like 1

Astonished just read the statement, I am made up for the Bees fans to loose a household name like Coventry would be devastating so at least these two toerags have been able to come to an agreement.

Now the real hard work comes and reality has to kick in now you have secured 3 years you need to start searching for new premises, you can ill afford to waste anytime.

But surely Swindon will not finish the season with their starting 1-7 - I'd be very surprised and think they won't be fighting or the wooden spoon.

Whilst some of their riders may have a drop in average, the limit for team changes will be 42 not 50. This means they would have to drop a lot to make changes

I agree with this, Starman isn't a troll as he isn't doing it intentionally. He just says whatever he thinks.

"Thinks" may be pushing it!
  • Like 1

Excellent news for speedway in general and the beleaguered Coventry supporters in particular. Councillor Stokes evidently deserves the warmest of praise from all of us.

However...some would say that now is not the time to introduce caveats. I would argue that this is the precise moment to do so.

While the sport is seemingly guaranteed for 2017, I fear that unless it proves to be a profitable venture all the old questions and doubts will resurface, notwithstanding the lease being agreed for a further two years.

It's hardly my place to urge fans of another club to attend meetings when, through work issues, I see only a handful of meetings a season myself. But unless they do so, I suspect the outlook in the short term -- seasons 2018 and 2019 -- may be put in doubt and the long-term future, concerning an alternative venue, go on the back burner altogether.

These are grim times for our sport and I have no wish to be a prophet of doom. Today may be a day for cheer. But it also marks day one of what will be a long slog. Good luck anyway.

So have we got a lease for 3 years as the statements suggests or is it still one year plus 2 if conditions are met?

My worry now is that unless the Stadium is secured by the new owner within days, the travelling fraternity will return and cause further damage to the Stadium.

Theres nothing to be had. Sandhu has had all the scrap away.

Well done to Avtar Sandhu & Michael Stokes. These 2 men met last night to agree a deal that would see racing at Brandon continue for the next three-years whilst Mick Horton was in the USA not giving a monkey's.

Avtar said he wanted to sign the agreement weeks ago. Sandhu also said that the deal needed to be suited to all parties. Obviously Mick threw a strop about the stock cars.

All of Mick's fault as per usual.

All of you should be thanking Avtar as well as Michael seeing as Avtar is paying for everything to be replaced.

If Mick Horton had to pay for it out of his own pocket then you wouldn't of seen any racing at Coventry next season and beyond. Mick gave up on the club and the fans. Sandhu didn't. If only Mick signed the deal weeks ago then nothing would have happened to the stadium.

157 posts in and you are very knowledgeable on the inner goings on at Coventry! Edited by dj350z
  • Like 5

Gone to one of the many scrap companies he has connections to..... ??

Edited by Jacques

I hope Sandhu refits the bar. That's one way to get even more money out of me!

• Like 1

I am a speedway supporter first and a club supporter second. I really hope that this resolves the issues short term but provides a wake up call that a new home has to be found sooner rather than later. Good luck to all and I am sure that I am not alone in being grateful that another club has not been consigned to history. The Bees live on.

Well that is going to cost someone a few thousand to replace

Well done to Avtar Sandhu & Michael Stokes. These 2 men met last night to agree a deal that would see racing at Brandon continue for the next three-years whilst Mick Horton was in the USA not giving a monkey's.

Avtar said he wanted to sign the agreement weeks ago. Sandhu also said that the deal needed to be suited to all parties. Obviously Mick threw a strop about the stock cars.

All of Mick's fault as per usual.

All of you should be thanking Avtar as well as Michael seeing as Avtar is paying for everything to be replaced.

If Mick Horton had to pay for it out of his own pocket then you wouldn't of seen any racing at Coventry next season and beyond. Mick gave up on the club and the fans. Sandhu didn't. If only Mick signed the deal weeks ago then nothing would have happened to the stadium.

except of course the small detail of who picked Mr horton to run the bees? why Mr sandhu!