British Speedway Forum

Feel really sorry for the Coventry fans, with the stadium in turmoil, & no press release from the promotion. Neil Watson is getting stick on here, but at the end of the day, he is only Horton's puppet, & won't put a statement on here. Fear the worst, but hope I am wrong. Seeing the once wonderfull stadium being ripped apart is heartbreaking, but I'm still hoping for a miracle explanation.

Edited by proud panther
  • Like 2

In both Bjerres and Bates the Bees had found riders who could hold or increase their averages, and add the dependable King and exciting Garrity it looked an alright team. But it really needed some top end strength to take the pressure off King and the bottler Kenny Bjerre, like a Kylmakorpi or even Schlein. But signing Sarj just wastes 2/3 average points at number 7 when he should be only taking 3 rides anyway and it means that Kerr is likely to drop down and you won't get Bates at reserve all season! The riders individually are decent signings tbh (maybe Sarj apart) but the team is poorly built!

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

Seats matter to a lot of Speedway supporters because they're required to attend.

Right now the main stand will be closed to the public because it poses an health and safety risk.

No doubt the inside of that main stand will look like it's been ransacked if the rest is anything to go by.

It really looks like a real sorry state of affairs right now.

Health and safety will have a big say on how 2017 goes, Horton may have no say on it at all

The structure is sound though so they will just shut it off to spectators if seats are not in place. We don't need seats to run that was my point, Wolves and Swindon manage it. I should add that it seems only a block or 2 of seats have been removed

I have just spent an hour at Brandon Stadium, had a good walk around, stood on the roof of my van to see inside, and spoke to one of the contractors from JJ Commercials, scrap metal company from Birmingham. From what I could see, all the light fittings on both corners have been removed, the centre lights and all light fittings along both straights are still in situ. The plastic seating on the Rugby bend side of the Stadium has been removed, but are stacked at the back of the stand. From what I could see, most of the seating is still in place. There is no evidence of any on going work at the track, no evidence of any of the fencing, armco etc being dismantled. Speaking with one of the contractors, he states they have been brought in to clear out all the metal ware and fittings from the dog section of the Stadium, the metal turnstiles from the two disused turnstile buildings, and years of old metal and other rubbish from under the main stands. He told me they have not removed anything from the track including the lights and are not under instruction to do so. I witnessed the workmen remove a large stainless steel cylinder from under the stand, and I watched as they unbolted the old turnstiles from the disused turnstile buildings, these are the building with the pitched roofs near to the dog kennels. On walking around the stadium I saw a skip in the car park that contained plastic and other non metal scrap. There were a number of old cash registers, printer, bunting, and advertising boards. I believe these are old items that have been removed from under the old stand. So; I know Mick is currently in Florida and returning next week, hopefully he will post something on the web site. At this stage, having spoken to the contractor and visited the site, I hope this is a general clear out and not stripping of the Stadium as we all feared. I pass the Stadium daily and will provide a further update if anything changes.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I have just spent an hour at Brandon Stadium, had a good walk around, stood on the roof of my van to see inside, and spoke to one of the contractors from JJ Commercials, scrap metal company from Birmingham. From what I could see, all the light fittings on both corners have been removed, the centre lights and all light fittings along both straights are still in situ. The plastic seating on the Rugby bend side of the Stadium has been removed, but are stacked at the back of the stand. From what I could see, most of the seating is still in place. There is no evidence of any on going work at the track, no evidence of any of the fencing, armco etc being dismantled. Speaking with one of the contractors, he states they have been brought in to clear out all the metal ware and fittings from the dog section of the Stadium, the metal turnstiles from the two disused turnstile buildings, and years of old metal and other rubbish from under the main stands. He told me they have not removed anything from the track including the lights and are not under instruction to do so. I witnessed the workmen remove a large stainless steel cylinder from under the stand, and I watched as they unbolted the old turnstiles from the disused turnstile buildings, these are the building with the pitched roofs near to the dog kennels. On walking around the stadium I saw a skip in the car park that contained plastic and other non metal scrap. There were a number of old cash registers, printer, bunting, and advertising boards. I believe these are old items that have been removed from under the old stand. So; I know Mick is currently in Florida and returning next week, hopefully he will post something on the web site. At this stage, having spoken to the contractor and visited the site, I hope this is a general clear out and not stripping of the Stadium as we all feared. I pass the Stadium daily and will provide a further update if anything changes.

The first post I have read from the scene that has more truth in it without all the drama and scare mongering.

Fingers crossed your version has more of the truth to it. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 7

Seats matter to a lot of Speedway supporters because they're required to attend.

Right now the main stand will be closed to the public because it poses an health and safety risk.

No doubt the inside of that main stand will look like it's been ransacked if the rest is anything to go by.

It really looks like a real sorry state of affairs right now.

Health and safety will have a big say on how 2017 goes, Horton may have no say on it at all

All Horton has to do is nail down some scaffolding boards and you have a Poole set up. They don't have seats down there, you sit on blanks of wood

As for the team. I think it's just fine. I think we'll make the play-offs. And if anyone is crap in the fort 6-8 meetings they can be replaced easily with the points limit being so high.

Hope this is good news

All Horton has to do is nail down some scaffolding boards and you have a Poole set up. They don't have seats down there, you sit on blanks of wood

As for the team. I think it's just fine. I think we'll make the play-offs. And if anyone is crap in the fort 6-8 meetings they can be replaced easily with the points limit being so high.

I'm unable to like as I must have used my ''likes''up. What a sensible post. James Sarjeant is very professional and fully aware he needs to 'up' his game next season and needs to practise his gating (Bomber also had a gating problem). In the weakened league I don't think our team is that bad but I am looking at my glass half full. Reserves can make or break the final score and many other teams have yet to be publicised. Let's hope we have our track.

Thanks for the update, but you say No evidence of Armco being removed when photographs on the Save Coventry speedway FB page, clearly show that the Armco has been removed..

With the side that has been put out I do hope something comes out of the woodwork, as you get the impression they are trying to push fans away.

With the side that has been put out I do hope something comes out of the woodwork, as you get the impression they are trying to push fans away.

The team won't push me away at all. A track that is A.W.O.L. will though.

That's me out.

That's got me puzzled because how can you be 'Out' when you weren't 'In' anyway? :unsure:

• Like 5

What are the bookies odds on the Press Statement being BEES COMPLETE AND MOVE TO LEICESTER ?

Pictures do look in some cases to be a bit of a demolishing job or laying Tarmac eventually for the stock cars and no speedway and with very little movement or noise from Leicester could the two be connected ?

PS Shocking team and when you compare King and Bjere with KK and Hans or Lindgren and Thorssell or Doyle and Morris it's looking like a second rate team with little potential apart from Bjerre being on a bargain average.