British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Leslie

Should Greg Hancock Ride For Usa?

Looks like Greg Hancock isn't riding for USA tonight as he can't be arsed bringing bikes over for one meeting wants to let a younger rider get the experience.

Thank god GB have got a loyal leader like Tai Woffinden and not someone who lets the fans down like Hancock.

• Like 8

If he is not riding then I hope there is a good reason as I was going to support him tonight

If true it's yet more proof that this "nice guy" facade is a load of bollock$.

• Like 7

“Typical of Greg” said Lance King according to Peter Oakes, unless that is a thinly veiled dig I fail to see how that as a compliment. He has led his team into a slaughtering tonight and any young kid he has given a chance will be mauled by the standard of rider on show.

• Like 6

Is it maybe because he isn't allowed to wear his Glasgow kevlars?

I was aware that Ricky Wells had said he (Ricky) won't be riding but this is the first I've heard about Greg.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if that is the case but he has been trying so hard to paddle this canoe for a considerable time and got nowhere with it!

Disappointing that there hasn't been a continuation of the great racers from the States that used to entertain us all so magnificently in the late 70s and 80s (not forgetting the Dudley Wood Two from the 90s!).

Be interesting what spin Hancocks greatest fan puts on his absence in commentary tonight :P

Kick out the yanks and let Britain have a practice. :lol:

Looks like Greg Hancock isn't riding for USA tonight

Nothing online to suggest he is not riding. If he isn't then that makes this comment attributed to him on the SWC site to be rather redundant calling on his team mates to show heart, if heart not in it to ride tonight. But like I say, nothing online so far to suggest he is not riding?

American skipper Greg Hancock insists his side has to dig deeper at the National Speedway Stadium if they are to push for a Final spot.

The triple world champion scored 17 of the USA’s 22 points as they finished third in Event 2, beating fourth-placed Germany by three points. And Hancock called on his team mates to show the belief and heart needed to challenge the sport’s top nations.

He said: “We keep saying we want to step up the pace and get better, but now’s the time. It’s overdue. We have to step up the pace and show these guys.

“It starts with the head. It starts with the attitude, the personality and the will to win. You have to ride with heart. We’re the American team and we have a lot more of that than most countries.

“If these guys dig deep enough, it doesn’t matter about equipment and all that. They just have to want it a bit more and I am 100 percent sure we can do good things.”

• Like 1

Nothing online to suggest he is not riding. If he isn't then that makes this comment attributed to him on the SWC site to be rather redundant calling on his team mates to show heart, if heart not in it to ride tonight. But like I say, nothing online so far to suggest he is not riding?

Yes there is.

Broc Nicol replacing Ricky Wells and Luke Becker replacing Hancock.

Lance King has said it is "typical of Greg" ...which is a comment you could take 2 ways.

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 4

just shows the guy is the complete ??....so what was the point in him riding in the previous round?...I bet the Germans are a bit miffed with him, as without him the Yanks would of been smoked and the Germans would of been in Manchester tonight.

• Like 2

Hancock never liked him never will, putting someone in to get more experience is a lame excuse if I have ever heard one they don't have a good enough team to really compete except Hancock he should bloody ride.

Another thing I don't buy any of this mr nice guy crap at all

• Like 3

Realistically the USA have achieved their objective, which was to qualify for the race-off and secure automatic qualification for next years semi-final.

That was their goal, they achieved it.

Tonight, they know they have next to no chance of finishing anything other than last given the level of competition. The idea is clearly to blood a couple of young riders in Broc Nicol and Luke Becker to give them a taste of a big event, show them the levels they have to reach and help them understand they can't sit back and rest and must continue to work to improve.

It's disappointing for the fans but there is a logic to it.

• Like 6

Never trust someone who smiles all the time, he's ruthless, just like any other Champion, some people are easily fooled.

• Like 1

Realistically the USA have achieved their objective, which was to qualify for the race-off and secure automatic qualification for next years semi-final.

That was their goal, they achieved it.

Tonight, they know they have next to no chance of finishing anything other than last given the level of competition. The idea is clearly to blood a couple of young riders in Broc Nicol and Luke Becker to give them a taste of a big event, show them the levels they have to reach and help them understand they can't sit back and rest and must continue to work to improve.

It's disappointing for the fans but there is a logic to it.

They'll probably both retire after they've been lapped a few times.