British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

1929 Speedway Tracks

Guest compost

Hi

I'm compiling a list of tracks that ran Speedway in 1929. Below is a list of the tracks I've come across but have I missed anyone ?

EDL
Barnsley, Belle Vue (Hyde Rd), Bolton, Burnley, Halifax, Leeds, Leicester Stadium, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle (Brough Park), Preston, Rochdale, Salford, Sheffield, Stoke (Hanley), Warrington, White City Manchester

SL
Coventry, Crystal Palace, Hall Green (Birmingham), Harringay, Lea Bridge, Perry Barr (Birmingham), Southampton, Stamford Bridge, Wembley, West Ham, White City London, Wimbledon

Non-League
Aldershot (Boxall), Audenshaw, Blackpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Marine Gdns, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Greenford, Handforth (Grass Track). High Beech, High Lane (Grasstrack), Huddersfield, Hull (Grasstrack), Leicester Super, Newcastle (Gosforth), Northampton (Hannington), Northampton (Stadium), Nottingham, Pontypridd, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Swindon Gorse Hill, Thorne, Tredegar, Whitley Bay, Wolverhampton, Wombwell (Ing), Wombwell (South Stadium)

Many thanks

PS. Can anyone confirm the venues that ran Speedway in Blackpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth in 1929 ? Thanks

Probably asking the obvious question, compost.. but do you own the excellent Homes of British Speedway books by Jarvis and Bamford?

• Like 2

Probably asking the obvious question, compost.. but do you own the excellent Homes of British Speedway books by Jarvis and Bamford?

Fabulous publication!

• Like 2

Portsmouth ran at Copnor in 1929

Glasgow certainly ran at White City that year and maybe at other venues too. Bear in mind that there were a myriad of tracks there.

Hi

I'm compiling a list of tracks that ran Speedway in 1929. Below is a list of the tracks I've come across but have I missed anyone ?

EDL

Barnsley, Belle Vue (Hyde Rd), Bolton, Burnley, Halifax, Leeds, Leicester Stadium, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Newcastle (Brough Park), Preston, Rochdale, Salford, Sheffield, Stoke (Hanley), Warrington, White City Manchester

SL

Coventry, Crystal Palace, Hall Green (Birmingham), Harringay, Lea Bridge, Perry Barr (Birmingham), Southampton, Stamford Bridge, Wembley, West Ham, White City London, Wimbledon

Non-League

Aldershot (Boxall), Audenshaw, Blackpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Marine Gdns, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Greenford, Handforth (Grass Track). High Beech, High Lane (Grasstrack), Huddersfield, Hull (Grasstrack), Leicester Super, Newcastle (Gosforth), Northampton (Hannington), Northampton (Stadium), Nottingham, Pontypridd, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Swindon Gorse Hill, Thorne, Tredegar, Whitley Bay, Wolverhampton, Wombwell (Ing), Wombwell (South Stadium)

Many thanks

PS. Can anyone confirm the venues that ran Speedway in Blackpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth in 1929 ? Thanks

There were two tracks in Blackpool in 1929, firstly at The Highfield Road Sports Ground and secondly at The Greyhound Stadium in St Annes Road. Also you can add Barnet, Droylesden, Kettering, Mansfield and Doncaster (York Road) to your list of non-league tracks.

Edited by HertsRacer

As far as I'm aware White City was the only track that operated in Glasgow in 1929.

Agreed,

Around this time Carntyne Greyhound Stadium staged speedway in 1928 and 1930, Celtic Park in 1928 and the Nelson Athletic Grounds in 1928 and 1932, but White City appears to be the only track operating.in 1929.

Sorry, didn't mean to post!!!

Edited by norbold

Guest compost

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will add them to my list.

Can I just confirm that the two Blackpool venues both ran in 1929 ? I understood that they both ran short seasons in 1928 but wasn't aware that they both ran a year later.

Yes I have the book but unfortunately it is in storage due to a house move. It is a very good and informative source.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will add them to my list.

Can I just confirm that the two Blackpool venues both ran in 1929 ? I understood that they both ran short seasons in 1928 but wasn't aware that they both ran a year later.

Yes I have the book but unfortunately it is in storage due to a house move. It is a very good and informative source.

Both Speedway Researcher and Robert Bamford's book Speedway - The Pre War Years list there being meetings at both tracks in 1929, but no details. Adrian Pavey's book Speedway in the North West gives a little more information. Although the local press had seemingly stopped reporting on speedway, Adrian says there is evidence of at least one meeting at Highfield Road on 31st May. That any speedway took place at the Greyhound Stadium however appears to be based on rumour rather that fact.

Also in 1929 there was an application from Blackpool to join a proposed second division of the EDTL, but of course nothing came of it.

Edited by HertsRacer

Guest compost

Both Speedway Researcher and Robert Bamford's book Speedway - The Pre War Years list there being meetings at both tracks in 1929, but no details. Adrian Pavey's book Speedway in the North West gives a little more information. Although the local press had seemingly stopped reporting on speedway, Adrian says there is evidence of at least one meeting at Highfield Road on 31st May. That any speedway took place at the Greyhound Stadium however appears to be based on rumour rather that fact.

Also in 1929 there was an application from Blackpool to join a proposed second division of the EDTL, but of course nothing came of it.

Hi

This is the first I've ever heard of this proposal. Are you able to shed any more light on it (who might have been involved for instance) ?

Thanks

You can also add Droylsden to the non-league listing. Only 2 meetings ran there in April 1929, before land owner, George Dodd closed the track. There was a previous meeting there in June 1927, although some dispute as to whether this was a Dirt Track/Speedway event. Plans to hold a Long Track meeting at the then Trotting Track were made in 1972 and that was as far as it got.

Guest compost

As a final update on this topic it would appear that Brighton & Crewe can be added to the list of venues operating during the year.

Thanks for the assistance.