British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Changes Have To Be Made In 2017?

Exactly Mockingjay... speedway's future plans are for the next six weeks. What happens next... well, hopefully people who don't die in the winter will just turn up again next March. The sport is safe.

I know fans and sports target big events. For example, British speedway's national title, one that we expect to claim some pride, it was that much of a "big" event - even Tai stayed at home to watch it.

Least he's back now, so we're safe for six weeks.

It doesn’t work like that but it is a narrative you have written for yourself and are now firmly entrenched in so much so that what you are saying doesn't even correlate with this signing, it is a club signing a rider the reaction to it on here, like with most news is utterly hysterical from the same doom mongers who grow ever more desperate to put a negative tint on all things speedway.

You have decided the sport has little future and and it doesn’t matter one single iota what occurrence takes place you will find a way to decide that speedway is screwed and that’s it and then twist and impose your opinion on most occurrences, shame the rest of us just can’t be left to get on with enjoying it…

But yes, the sport probably will thrive for the next 6 weeks (which I am sure will fill you with utter joy and delight) following on from the last 6 weeks and the success of the 4s Weekend, World Cup, Grand Prix and general attendance levels, stick them together you then have a seasons which has generally been quite well received and brought a feeling of feel good back to the sport in this country (for most hard core fans).

I would say there is actually a feel good factor around just now - so as speedway fans let's all enjoy the next few exciting weeks of the season, the Play Offs, should be a great 6 weeks or so.

Edited by The Mockingjay

We disagree, but everyone has their opinions. Just that I dropped into this thread because its title, what needed to be done to save 2017.

Wasn't just me being negative...

I take your points on board though. It depends on how you look at the sport as to whether it has a life or not. But let's just enjoy the next six weeks... we may be dead come next March and won't have to worry.

And that's where I came in...

We disagree, but everyone has their opinions. Just that I dropped into this thread because its title, what needed to be done to save 2017.

Wasn't just me being negative...

I take your points on board though. It depends on how you look at the sport as to whether it has a life or not. But let's just enjoy the next six weeks... we may be dead come next March and won't have to worry.

And that's where I came in...

Again, ridiculous, there is very little to suggest the sport will be dead or won’t come to tapes in 2017, but you keep on at it.

• Like 2

Here is my radical idea for 2017, and it presumes we remain with an Elite League of 8 and a PL of 13.

All teams are built to PL standards, or a slightly higher number if the PL teams are comfortable with it. Each Elite League team nominates one "designated" rider in addition. For example, Wolves may nominate Tai Woffinden etc.

All teams in both divisions ride all other teams in both leagues, home and away. This gives 20 home and 20 away meetings.

For each meeting between two EL teams, the teams may replace any rider from their team with their designated rider. So again using Wolves as an example, versus Poole they would replace Clegg with Woffinden.

This system would allow the spectators to get their weekly speedway fix, and allow the riders who want to keep busy 40 league meetings a year. It would also allow the "superstars" to ride a 14 meeting season which would allow more of them to commit to the UK.

I don't know how practical it is, but I think it is an interesting concept. I also think that this format would bring a workable promotion and relegation system closer.

Drag the sport into the 21st century and understand that the internet exists, stop marketing it as a "family night out", promotors start promoting and not just preaching to the converted.

• Like 1

Drag the sport into the 21st century and understand that the internet exists, stop marketing it as a "family night out", promotors start promoting and not just preaching to the converted.

Any real concrete evidence ? to really say be progressive then things will improve? any thoughts Jonny? this myth of bringing in new people (fans) is not reality to be honest the hard core of fans keep clubs going in Britain.

The thing is with speedway, so-called promoters haven't the time to promote their hobby,as there real business need all/most of their day. Usually speedway is left to fans who lend a hand and then we wonder why some of the things that go wrong actually do. Then again,promoters probably would have no clue either.

In the local papers and even in yesterday's Mirror, stock car racing was being advertised for over the August Bank Hols. Now, promoters of our sport leave it to regular fans to promote it. "Bring a friend" is normally the advice from promoters, and save your club.

It tries to be a professional sport, glossy programme being put before the show on the track, and surely it should be the other way.

Edited by moxey63

There needs to be changes to the bikes as soon as possible I watched heat 9 of last Monday's Wolves match( on their web site ) and even PK was fighting the bike and had trouble keeping the front wheel down at times .If a rider with his experience can't control these bikes something must be done and quickly ,it must be no fun for riders when they live in fear of being fired at the fence at any moment .

• Like 1

There needs to be changes to the bikes as soon as possible I watched heat 9 of last Monday's Wolves match( on their web site ) and even PK was fighting the bike and had trouble keeping the front wheel down at times .If a rider with his experience can't control these bikes something must be done and quickly ,it must be no fun for riders when they live in fear of being fired at the fence at any moment .

Change has to come from the F.I.M so no chance

Here is my radical idea for 2017, and it presumes we remain with an Elite League of 8 and a PL of 13.

All teams are built to PL standards, or a slightly higher number if the PL teams are comfortable with it. Each Elite League team nominates one "designated" rider in addition. For example, Wolves may nominate Tai Woffinden etc.

All teams in both divisions ride all other teams in both leagues, home and away. This gives 20 home and 20 away meetings.

For each meeting between two EL teams, the teams may replace any rider from their team with their designated rider. So again using Wolves as an example, versus Poole they would replace Clegg with Woffinden.

This system would allow the spectators to get their weekly speedway fix, and allow the riders who want to keep busy 40 league meetings a year. It would also allow the "superstars" to ride a 14 meeting season which would allow more of them to commit to the UK.

I don't know how practical it is, but I think it is an interesting concept. I also think that this format would bring a workable promotion and relegation system closer.

Quite like radical ideas here's mine

How about having a meeting 15 heats in duration but divided into 3 segments of 5 races. At the end of 5 races the team with the most points would earn 1 point, if its level a runoff between 2 riders would decide the point. Then after heat 5 the scores are reset to zero and we start again for the 2nd set of races.

Teams or to be of 6 or riders 7 riders with a race format similar to what we have now. All team members must have to have 3 programmed rides, tactical subs when a team is 6 behind, only 1 tactical sub ride per rider during all 15 heats and only 1 run off ride if required.

Not all the meat on the bones I know and maybe a bit bonkers but its different and would keep matches relevant until the later heats.

Any thoughts

Change has to come from the F.I.M so no chance

Quite like radical ideas here's mine

How about having a meeting 15 heats in duration but divided into 3 segments of 5 races. At the end of 5 races the team with the most points would earn 1 point, if its level a runoff between 2 riders would decide the point. Then after heat 5 the scores are reset to zero and we start again for the 2nd set of races.

Teams or to be of 6 or riders 7 riders with a race format similar to what we have now. All team members must have to have 3 programmed rides, tactical subs when a team is 6 behind, only 1 tactical sub ride per rider during all 15 heats and only 1 run off ride if required.

Not all the meat on the bones I know and maybe a bit bonkers but its different and would keep matches relevant until the later heats.

Any thoughts

Cyril Crane - 1969 or 70. Remember reading it in the SStar

And that's just what the new promotion at the Isle of Wight, who brought National Development League racing back to the island this year, have been working oh-so-hard on doing from all angles be it via the internet, going out and spreading the word via displays at a host of events, supermarkets etc etc encouraging folk to attend and, once they do so, involve their kids in various activities and doing likewise with adults irrespective of which team they support / those who have never been before including taking some heat-by-heat onto the centre for a glimpse of racing from there. They have also worked extremely hard too on getting involved with the local community and business concerns, working hard on the sponsorship and advertising to the extent that, for example, every single airfence section (and there are a lot given the Andrew Younie smallbrook stadium is the biggest circuit in the UK!) sponsored either with money or in return for goods / services provided to the club. Building a team for this season after everyone else had was difficult but was achieved, the riders themselves have involved themselves in a host of things including as an example one signing autographs for all and sundry during a mid-match interval break. All in all a lesson for others?

• Like 3

I don't know about 69 or 70 but Boston ran three meetings in 1979 using a format they called 'Formula 5'. A 20-heat match was split into 5 sections of 4 heats, and a point was awarded to the winner of each section.

I don't know about 69 or 70 but Boston ran three meetings in 1979 using a format they called 'Formula 5'. A 20-heat match was split into 5 sections of 4 heats, and a point was awarded to the winner of each section.

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with a basic 15 heat formula meeting, when it's ran efficiently, I can even live with double points.... It's the make-up of the teams, and the loyalty of riders to the teams that's the issue in the UK..

If we went to one or two night, the other Euro Nations (Poland, Sweden, and Denmark) would carve up the remaining nights for themselves, use our one or two nights for rain offs, one off meetings, practise sessions, and we would be absolutely no better off, we'd be worse off, as fans who do lots of race meetings as well as their own teams would be scuppered, and so would British Speedway....

• Like 3