British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Nordic Gorzow Grand Prix 27th August

I’ve always been a fan of Doyle ever since I first saw him race, nice style incredibly likeable rider and person IMO.

I would consider it a massive success and a show of symbolism if he were to win the world title. It would be one in the eye for the narrative that “fast bikes, bigger budgets etc” win world titles. If Doyle is to win it, it would IMO be a sign that riders can win titles via hard work and willing, it would be the Speedway equivalent of Leicester winning the EPL.

• Like 2

I’ve always been a fan of Doyle ever since I first saw him race, nice style incredibly likeable rider and person IMO.

I would consider it a massive success and a show of symbolism if he were to win the world title. It would be one in the eye for the narrative that “fast bikes, bigger budgets etc” win world titles. If Doyle is to win it, it would IMO be a sign that riders can win titles via hard work and willing, it would be the Speedway equivalent of Leicester winning the EPL.

I believe his engines are incredible fast just ask Jason Garrity he's got one of his old motors !!!!!!!

I believe his engines are incredible fast just ask Jason Garrity he's got one of his old motors !!!!!!!

I appreciate his engines probably are faster than most - I am not for a second advocating that he is racing on a bag of scrap, albeit I don't think he will be afforded the same advantages of some of his rivals might be due to them having a higher profile than him.

He has organically grew his speedway career in a way some riders perhaps haven’t, riders who were more naturally blessed than him who as a result perhaps were afforded larger contracts, bigger sponsorship and more attention at an earlier age than Doyle (not that there is anything wrong with that) who was still a PL Number 1 only 3 years ago, the leap in his career since then almost defies belief IMO.

Edited by The Mockingjay

I appreciate his engines probably are faster than most - I am not for a second advocating that he is racing on a bag of scrap, albeit I don't think he will be afforded the same advantages of some of his rivals might be due to them having a higher profile than him.

He has organically grew his speedway career in a way some riders perhaps haven’t, riders who were more naturally blessed than him who as a result perhaps were afforded larger contracts, bigger sponsorship and more attention at an earlier age than Doyle (not that there is anything wrong with that) who was still a PL Number 1 only 3 years ago, the leap in his career since then almost defies belief IMO.

He certainly is on fire at the moment and full credit to him he has done it the hard way but I think cream will always float to the top and I really do admire the fact that he will ride in any league at anytime( including the EL) unlike some of his fellow GP riders .

Edited by FAST GATER

I hate the, in this case, 'BTSports', way they are told to shout and show their excitement, OTT!

They're not working for BT Sport. They are working for BSi, providing the world feed that BT Sport have the right to show in the UK with the addition of their own studio links. What we get from Pearson and Tatum is the same hype that they have perfected working for Sky.

If you look for overstated hype look at Sky, not BT - this style of excess is certainly not BT Sports' style at all which on the whole is much more in the style of the BBC than Sky.

As someone who has done the job a few times, albeit long ago and on a much lower scale I agree that they are now going too far - and they are repeating their favourite phrases just far too often. I used to work with a co-commentator on Stock Car racing who constantly relied on "They're pouring it on" and "No-one's leaving their seats". Well, one person did - I was soon sole commentator....

Jason Doyle's comment about three Aussies on the podium was stirring of the highest order!

What we can't allow these trivialities to spoil is that was a great speedway meeting to all but a sad, spiteful troll who supports Gorzow's local rivals.

If you call it "nice style" to regularly plough into riders outside him!

Niamh

If you call it "nice style" to regularly plough into riders outside him!

Niamh

The phrase you're looking for is he eases them out of the way but occasionally it looks a bit DirtyNickiesque

It seems that Doyle has learnt from past mistakes and has cut out the 'reckless moves' this year.

I can't imagine Nicki ever will!

• Like 2

Regarding the commentary if you see any of the Swedish or Polish commentaries the excitement level is very similar even though can't understand the commentary

They're not working for BT Sport. They are working for BSi, providing the world feed that BT Sport have the right to show in the UK with the addition of their own studio links. What we get from Pearson and Tatum is the same hype that they have perfected working for Sky.

If you look for overstated hype look at Sky, not BT - this style of excess is certainly not BT Sports' style at all which on the whole is much more in the style of the BBC than Sky.

As someone who has done the job a few times, albeit long ago and on a much lower scale I agree that they are now going too far - and they are repeating their favourite phrases just far too often. I used to work with a co-commentator on Stock Car racing who constantly relied on "They're pouring it on" and "No-one's leaving their seats". Well, one person did - I was soon sole commentator....

Jason Doyle's comment about three Aussies on the podium was stirring of the highest order!

What we can't allow these trivialities to spoil is that was a great speedway meeting to all but a sad, spiteful troll who supports Gorzow's local rivals.

You say that but our local bbc radio commentator gets really excited about Norwich City scoring goals, BUT he is a City fan so I guess it's more understandable ....

The phrase you're looking for is he eases them out of the way but occasionally it looks a bit DirtyNickiesque

Like in the SWC final you mean?

Still a dirty rider.

Niamh

You say that but our local bbc radio commentator gets really excited about Norwich City scoring goals, BUT he is a City fan so I guess it's more understandable ....

The local radio stations are a bit out on a limb so can do their 'own thing' to quite an extent. We've just had a Radio Norfolk sports presenter transfer to my local station and I can't say I'm impressed. Mind you we have a guy who gets beside himself over Forest Green Rovers, while down in Devon Gordon Sparks is a well-known OTT Plymouth fan as well as commentator. Most of that is just good-natured over-excitenent. There are times recently when Nigel and Kelvin have started going too far and it comes over as forced and insincere, but that is Sky's style - direct and always seeking sensation and opinion.

At TV level the closest you would get to such antics is Johnathan Pearce who cut his teeth in Independent Local Radio in Bristol and with Capital in London.

I watch a great deal of BT Sport and it really is far closer to the BBC's style - many involved were BBC people. The speedway commentary is not to the station style at all. Look at the intelligent conversations Natalie Quirke has been having with Scott Nicholls and Rosco - that is much more their style and is the only content that they control and is far more interesting and competent that the bluster we had with her Eurosport and Sky predecessors. She is a genuine fan and knows her stuff. Even then there is criticism from those who prefer a less-informed but punchy style.

I do worry whether speedway is really the right sport for BT - it just doesn't match the more intelligent, less hyped style that they use on their main sports.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

And really excited when they don't, I can't listen to him, does my head in. Sometimes less is more.

If he won it he would be the worst rider to win the WC for years in probably the most average GP line up ever.

If he won it he would be the worst rider to win the WC for years in probably the most average GP line up ever.

Are you sure you talking about 2016?

Cant agree with you "would be the worst rider to win the WC for years", nor probably the most average GP line up ever".

• Like 1