British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

National League 4-team Tournament, Coventry, Sunday 14th Aug, 2.30pm

EIGHT clubs will be competing at Brandon on Sunday afternoon as Coventry stage the 2016 National League Fours (2.30pm).

Its the third year in succession that the meeting, one of the top events on the NL calendar, has been hosted by the Storm, and the past history of the Fours includes plenty of drama and close finishes.

In 2014, Cradley made it back-to-back victories in the competition with a dominant display in the Final, but 2015 saw a thrilling three-way scrap between Birmingham, Coventry and Kent, with a tie between the Brummies and the Storm at the end of the Final.

Birminghams Adam Ellis then defeated Coventrys Dan Greenwood in a run-off for the silverware to give the Perry Barr club their first silverware since they were re-launched at National League level.

Ellis has now switched to Eastbourne and is one of several top NL riders to be in action in Sunday indeed, he won a World Cup silver medal as Great Britains Under-21 reserve at Belle Vue last week.

The Storm who were also runners-up in 2014 - have been drawn in a tough-looking Group B where they go up against Belle Vue, Eastbourne and Birmingham, whilst Group A features Mildenhall, Kings Lynn, Rye House and Cradley.

With Greenwood on the sidelines due to a broken collarbone, the Storm will be represented by Liam Carr, Mitchell Davey, Ryan Terry-Daley and Conor Dwyer.

Manager Laurence Rogers said: We had a couple of knocks at Birmingham on Wednesday, so fingers crossed everyone will be okay for Sunday.

Its going to be very hard in the group weve been drawn in, but well be giving it a good go.

Mitchell is flying at the moment and would have had a 15-point maximum at Birmingham but for his engine failure, and Conor seemed to have no power there but Im sure hell have a better day at home.

The two groups are each run over eight races, with an eight-heat Final for the top two teams in each group to give a 24-race schedule in total.

Admission prices are £15 for all adults with under-16s free as usual, and programmes will be on sale for £2.

GROUP A:

MILDENHALL: Jon Armstrong, Dan Halsey, Alfie Bowtell, Connor Coles.

KINGS LYNN: Josh Bailey, Scott Campos, Ryan Kinsley, Tom Stokes.

RYE HOUSE: Rob Branford, Ben Morley, Luke Priest, Sam Woods.

CRADLEY: Luke Chessell, Max Clegg, Richard Andrews, Ashley Morris.

GROUP B:

BELLE VUE: Dan Bewley, Matt Williamson, Rob Shuttleworth, Lee Payne.

COVENTRY: Ryan Terry-Daley, Mitchell Davey, Liam Carr, Conor Dwyer.

EASTBOURNE: Georgie Wood, Ellis Perks, Adam Ellis, Jake Knight.

BIRMINGHAM: Jack Smith, Tom Perry, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Tom Bacon.

Hope theres a decent crowd for this, I'll shall be there to cheer on the Brummies. I think Ritchings should have been picked, his form did dip a fair bit but he rode well last Wednesday plus he knows his way round Brandon being an ex storm rider. Danyon Hume is a massive loss though :(

• Like 1

KING'S Lynn Young Stars have been forced to withdraw from Sunday's National League Fours at Coventry.

The Stebbings Car Superstore side have been reduced to just two available riders for the showpiece event and therefore have been left with no option but to pull out of the meeting.

Team manager Dale Allitt explained: "We're very disappointed to have to withdraw from Sunday's meeting and we can only apologise to our supporters.

"Josh Bailey picked up a knock to his ankle racing for Scunthorpe at Ipswich on Thursday and he needs to rest it for a day or two longer.

"Tom Stokes is still under the weather with a virus and he's just not ready to race yet.

"Shane Hazelden suffered a broken leg at Kent on Monday so that one speaks for itself.

"Ryan Kinsley was hurt in the same incident and was told on Monday to rest for at least seven days.

"Nathan Greaves was always scheduled to race for Sheffield at Newcastle in the Premier League so he was never an option anyway.

"That leaves us with just Scott Campos and Lewis Whitmore and you don't have to be a genius to work out you can't go to a fours meeting with two available riders!

Buxton will be stepping into the vacant place.

Edited by NeilWatson

Moving forward 12 months and the unusual list of injury presently existing, could the format be changed so all teams are involved with 2 stand by teams waiting if the same occurs as present. The winner of each group qualifying for the final and best second place from 3 groups.

Stand by teams could be named ie:- Exeter, Weymouth, Milton Keynes, Long Eaton, whatever and have riders who have just missed out and are fringe riders just missing out on team places.

This is forward planning and thinking, but could be hard for some to comprehend.

Hope theres a decent crowd for this, I'll shall be there to cheer on the Brummies. I think Ritchings should have been picked, his form did dip a fair bit but he rode well last Wednesday plus he knows his way round Brandon being an ex storm rider. Danyon Hume is a massive loss though :(

What's happened to Danyon? :neutral: Sorry he won't be riding as he is my favourite of all the National League riders this season.

• Like 1

Buxton stepping into the vacant spot is a bit of a joke. Last few matches they have had either one or two guests and R/R....so I guess the team will be One Buxton rider, 2 guests and R/R

KING'S Lynn Young Stars have been forced to withdraw from Sunday's National League Fours at Coventry.

The Stebbings Car Superstore side have been reduced to just two available riders for the showpiece event and therefore have been left with no option but to pull out of the meeting.

Team manager Dale Allitt explained: "We're very disappointed to have to withdraw from Sunday's meeting and we can only apologise to our supporters.

"Josh Bailey picked up a knock to his ankle racing for Scunthorpe at Ipswich on Thursday and he needs to rest it for a day or two longer.

"Tom Stokes is still under the weather with a virus and he's just not ready to race yet.

"Shane Hazelden suffered a broken leg at Kent on Monday so that one speaks for itself.

"Ryan Kinsley was hurt in the same incident and was told on Monday to rest for at least seven days.

"Nathan Greaves was always scheduled to race for Sheffield at Newcastle in the Premier League so he was never an option anyway.

"That leaves us with just Scott Campos and Lewis Whitmore and you don't have to be a genius to work out you can't go to a fours meeting with two available riders!

VeryBuxton will be stepping into the vacant place.

Oh dear, I'very decided to make a weekend of it, and I'm already in my motel room!!

Ipswich need him in Glasgow.

Okay thanks. Glad he's not out because he's injured.

• Like 1

Eastbourne or Belle Vue to win. My first trip to Coventry in a few years. Glad to hear theve secured the speedway there for another year. Safe meeting to all the riders

• Like 1

Cradley for me but I'll be watching Dan & Max. Safe meeting for all

It sounds like a right old scrap there. Shuttleworth has been booted out due to assaulting an injured rider lying on the track and Georgie Wood jumped into the crowd to have a go at a fan shouting abuse