British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Tai Quits Team Gb

The reason Woffinden hasn't mentioned the reason why he has quit teamgb is because it might not make him look very good.

I was told the exact reason on Monday from a reliable source who I will not disclose, so some on here will not want to believe this and it is their perogative.

Woffinden was very unhappy with only receiving 25% of the prize money TeamGB won for coming second. The prize money has always been split evenly betwen the riders. They ride as a team, and get the rewards as a team. But Woffinden wanted nearly 60% of the prize money, with the other 40% devided up between the other three riders. His argument was that he had scored 19 points, therefore he was entitled to a percentage equivelent to that out of 32 points. (Just short of 60%)

He was told that was not how it was done, and that all riders get the same, but he wouldn't have it.

So there you go.

There are plenty of peole who think I am a dick. Water off a dicks back. I don't know Hagonshocker any more than I know you.

To be fair, IF that has any credibility (and I have my doubts), has Tai not got a point? That's all I will say as most on here won't be able to discuss it further without resorting to childish nonsense or abuse.

I take it they weren't planning on paying Adam Ellis then?

He got a small amount that tbh wasn't very much. But he wasn't used. It would only have covered his expenses.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not surprised that a rider scoring 16 out of 29 (excluding Joker points) would expect to receive 55% of the total. This is what, normally, we would call points money. Is that not how riders are normally paid?

If the money is split 4 ways (assuming the reserve gets paid nothing - which wouldn't surprise me!) each rider is paid for 7.5 points. So they all got paid for more than they earned except for one.

I bet the other riders were well pleased with the arrangement.

Interesting, also, that Greg Hancock (the other rider who scored the vast majority of his team's points) opted out.

Would say something like that would entirely depend on when and what kind of agreement was in place. If it was an agreed split prior to an even that someone renegaded on after it based on what they scored, it is a dick move IMO, would apply that to a Rugby, Football player etc.

i persoanlly think whatever the team won it should be given out according to what they scored..

its the way it should be pay the riders for what they achieved.. why should a rider who could of potentially scored nothing be given the same as a rider who scored 19..

think if this is indeed right he has a good reason to be p1ssed off and i would have done the same thing.. but thats me and it is in fact exactly what i would do not defending Tai and i think anyone would agree.. you dont have that arrangement in league racing..

He has rode in WTC before therefore he should know what the money situation was ,and if had changed surely he would have been informed!

• Like 2

He has rode in WTC before therefore he should know what the money situation was ,and if had changed surely he would have been informed!

Precisely.. which makes me question the validity of the story.

I don't know if the reason SS gave is the truth, but are we expected to believe that ALL the riders did not know the payment arrangements before riding.

Therefore Tai would have known he would receive 25% and not a penny more, which IMO is fair, after all you ride as a TEAM, you are riding for your nation. It's not the same as league racing where you get points money.

If he doesn't like the pay arrangements, it's his perogative not to ride for that amount but I can understand why he wouldn't want the general public to know.

Steve does say 'prize money' not points money or earnings. So do they get points money as well? If so, he'd have got his correct share of that. The team came second, the prize for second place should be shared out equally.

They get prize money not points money. The equal divi has been this way for a long time, going back to the days of Screen, Louis, Loram etc.

Steve does say 'prize money' not points money or earnings. So do they get points money as well? If so, he'd have got his correct share of that. The team came second, the prize for second place should be shared out equally.

Points money and prize money are different but what other demands was TW not happy about ? Appearance money,Image rights,travel expenses, start money ?

He will make money from the TW training schools

They get prize money not points money. The equal divi has been this way for a long time, going back to the days of Screen, Louis, Loram etc.

OK, but I asked because I was told by a rider that they do, or did, it was some time ago, get points money of sorts too - nowhere near what they ride for in leagues - otherwise what would stop a rider (when his team is definitely in fourth place for instance) tootling around at the back if it makes no difference to anything. That was some time ago though, and he wasn't a Brit so could have no bearing on Team GB today.

Midland Red - I have quoted my Post for you. Please read the highlighted part carefully.

No need for the red pen - I did read it carefully!

Team GB have been paid the same for years and this year was no different.

Tai knew the pay deal and hasnt moaned about it once according to my source. He hasnt quit Team GB due to the payments at the world cup but for other reasons including the lack of support for training schools.

Very good Riders they were too - but crucially, in the pantheon of Speedway Riders - not great. You cannot compare any of those Riders I have highlighted with the true 'greats' of our Sport. Look at their records - and - then look at Tai's record. His TWO World Championships alone give him a right to be among Speedway's 'GREATS'. To say anything else is denying the obvious.

Now you read carefully what I posted :

I was comparing rider v rider in terms of riding ability, and excluding the quality of machinery available to or used by the riders

Perhaps on better machinery, riding ability is less of a requirement to win championships than on some of the lawnmowers used by other riders?

Neither was it a comparison of medals won, simply who were possibly better riders than Tai

Certainly he deserves to be mentioned alongside those mentioned

Points money and prize money are different but what other demands was TW not happy about ? Appearance money,Image rights,travel expenses, start money ?

He will make money from the TW training schools

Keep up sweet cheeks, there was no help in setting up the training schools.

I have been told that he requested a number of tracks to help and one in particular wanted to have ride and slide days as they call them rather than do the training schools.

He had no help from the powers that be.

Tai couldnt possibly be at every training school and help in setting them up and running them wasnt forthcoming