British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dandelion

Next Year's Reserve System?

Will it stay the same? With just a 3.00 rider at number 7, or will we follow in the footsteps of the EL and have both reserves as a part of a draft system. I think this seems like a better idea as far as I can tell, as there isn't really enough 3.00 reserves that are good enough to make the racing interesting and competitive in my opinion. I also think that dropping the average limit down would help this too although I personally don't think that would be a good idea as weaker teams may mean that certain fans could lose interest. Using this years starting averages as an example as I don't know how this years averages will finish I think something like this would seem good, however I really don't know if it'd work or be feasible.

James Sarjeant Adam Ellis Stefan Nielsen Adam Roynon Liam Carr Dan Bewley Danny Ayres Danny Phillips, Darryl Ritchings, Oliver Greenwood, Dan Greenwood, Ashley Morris, Tom perry. Ellis Perks, Lee Payne, Josh Bailey, Ben Morley, Richard Hall, Carl Wilkinson, Zach Wajknecht, Nathan Greaves, Matt Williamson, Connor Mountain, James Shanes... Plus many more :P (Obviously there are riders like JPB that may step up next year now)

I just feel like this system would not only guarantee 2 British reserves for all teams in the league, but it would make the reserves races much more competitive, rather than the two races in one race that I've seen most times this year, also I think that there should be 2 reserves races each meeting like in the EL to make them more important, unlike now where the number 7 can get 0 points from 3 rides and the team could still win big, it'd put more pressure but also give more experience to the new, young British reserves for the PL

Another thought regarding the average limit of teams, there could be a limit of like 35/37.5 for the top 5 and a limit of 8 for the reserves, as separate figures, so for example a team could choose a 3.00 and a 5.00 to have one big reserve and a new reserve to the league or they could go for two 4.00 reserves, again as I don't see enough 3.00 reserves to make the racing competitive.

Just my opinion, dunno what anyone else thinks and I'm SURE someone can tell me why this wouldn't work or why it'd be wrong :P

Same system as this year, anyone good enough stays as #6 or main body. If the reserve is staying at 6 take .5 (or thereabouts) off their average.

The current system clearly doesn't work, I feel for the number 7s in this league as they must feel like lambs to slaughter. It amazes me you have riders averaging 8/9/10 in the National League but they struggle to muster much over then 3 in this league, Contrast that to the 8/9/10 pt PL riders that ride in the EL, do they only struggle much over 3? No they dont becuase the transition is easier them leagues buts huge between the the PL and NL that the sport needs to address. A top speedway rider doesn't just appear out of the National League, they need confidence and the right nurturing to make it.

Both reserves should be NL riders, and two of their four rides should be reserve heats. The other two should against riders in the main body, at least in the reserve heats you have four riders of similar standard so closer racing then your heat 2s now. Whether you would keep them protected at reserve for the entire season Im not sure but surely that wont be as bad as it is now where their confidence is being shot to pieces week in, week out.

• Like 4

The current system clearly doesn't work, I feel for the number 7s in this league as they must feel like lambs to slaughter. It amazes me you have riders averaging 8/9/10 in the National League but they struggle to muster much over then 3 in this league, Contrast that to the 8/9/10 pt PL riders that ride in the EL, do they only struggle much over 3? No they dont becuase the transition is easier them leagues buts huge between the the PL and NL that the sport needs to address. A top speedway rider doesn't just appear out of the National League, they need confidence and the right nurturing to make it.

Both reserves should be NL riders, and two of their four rides should be reserve heats. The other two should against riders in the main body, at least in the reserve heats you have four riders of similar standard so closer racing then your heat 2s now. Whether you would keep them protected at reserve for the entire season Im not sure but surely that wont be as bad as it is now where their confidence is being shot to pieces week in, week out.

Wont work, you struggled to find one rider per team up to the 3 point standard, so all you are doing is rewarding mediocrity.So riders like Morley

and Carr who wont be eligable for NL next season are thrown on the scrap heap as happened to riders like Morris and Branford this year.

If the riders are good enough they will make there way in the sport like Bewley , if not they wont.

Junior

Edited by junior fan
  • Like 4

Wont work, you struggled to find one rider per team up to the 3 point standard, so all you are doing is rewarding mediocrity.So riders like Morley

and Carr who wont be eligable for NL next season are thrown on the scrap heap as happened to riders like Morris and Branford this year.

If the riders are good enough they will make there way in the sport like Bewley , if not they wont.

Junior

Spot on the FTR has ruined EL( it is only to save money there really) do you want the same in the PL ?

• Like 1

riders like Carr, Bewley, Morley and Perry's confidence isn't getting shot to pieces? Nor are riders like Bailey and Williamson. I wpuld say that in the main it has been successful.
  • Like 2

Personally i think divide the National league riders average by 50% and fit them in to the Premier league at reserve within the points limit..It is about right on most national league riders at present in that league and is so simple to do...At least one per team and foreign riders on at least a 5 point average if at reserve....

Edited by waco

Think most of the previous posters would give the bspa something to work with, but in order to get that progression, some of the top premier league riders would need to stop doubling up and using the premier league as a safety net.

Fans may see it as weakening the PL, but to be honest, I think we have been spoiled by the quality of riders who have been racing for PL teams.

Sometimes in order to move forwards you need to take a step back.

At the moment the gap is too much between NL and PL but virtually nil stepping up to EL, this has to be addressed, or things will never improve in this country, either as a credible league system to attract the world's best, or to steadily increase the confidence and ability of British talent.

All teams should start with two British reserves, no average limit. If they move up the team order during the season then fine. They can only be replaced by British riders.

It'd stop a team having to sacrifice a young Brit like Edinburgh had to with Branford last winter and could happen to Edinburgh again this season as well as Rye with Morley/Branford.

I am all in favour of two british reserves at least one from the National and the other under 5 average ,We most do everything possible to bring on the british boys.. agree with Ben 91 if one moves up in to the 1-5 ,great this is what we hope they will do,,and replace at res with another brit...

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Strength of teams needs to be addressed if we are to retain the current race formula.

Otherwise weaker reserves will score nothing and teams who grab the best available will prosper.

Mainly due to the fact they are up against (in the main) PL riders in the EL, whereas the NL riders at number 7 (but for two heats - 2 and 4) are mainly up against PL heat leaders, second strings and a half decent PL reserve.

I also believe it will be six man teams in 2017, so how any draft system will work, God only knows.

Edited by Steve Park

I have spoken to riders that have taken part in the six man team trial matches and they recon it is a rubbish format...

• Like 1

I have spoken to riders that have taken part in the six man team trial matches and they recon it is a rubbish format...

Remember when they tried 6 man teams in the elite league , I didn't like it at all and wouldn't want to see it re -introduced and was thankful it only lasted for 1 season as I honestly believe I wouldn't have bothered going again, 6man teams give less variety of riders less scope for reserve changes so definitely not for me .

• Like 1

Think it should be Grading System for the riders,averages of riders often don't reflect how good they really are with the Draft system.