British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Is Today A Good Example Where Track Covers Would Have Worked?

Most of the rain is forecast to have passed through the UK by teatime, could ALL of tonight's fixtures gone ahead if track covers had have been used?

Yep those Belle Vue ones are finally being put to use today.

Indeed, it makes you wonder why only Belle Vue have ordered some?

The thing is, Belle Vue is not protected at the moment, but their track can handle copious amounts of the wet stuff..... This weather-proofness, may deteriorate with age though as drains become clogged, and less efficient. Regular rodding and other remedial work will need to be done to the drainage system ongoing...... The covers will help as less clay will get washed out the track and down the drains.....

So a set of full track cover cost say an average of 25k track sizes differ - and the average track attendance 1500 - covers may save one or two meetings a season at each EL track now is that viable?? Also how can clubs afford covers when Leicester apparently hasn't paid there riders for 5 weeks .

• Like 3

We were told they were ordered before this season.

We were told they were ordered before this season.

They're our magic covers - just watch them disappear.

You lot, sometimes I wonder.....

Wether or not clubs can afford them at the moment is not important. The track cover debate is years old!!!!

If tracks had invested in them say 10 years ago, with money earned through say "Sky" how many more of "todays" could of been saved....? Say 2 meetings a season per club?

+ may not have lost fans who are/were fed up of rain offs when the weather is fine cum race time...

+ Skybet may still have been involved as league sponsor..

+ meetings ran in poor conditions, May have gone ahead with good conditions.

+ money promotors paid out to riders/officials for travel expenses on rain offs

It was a hypothetical question, and it wouldn't have done any harm to speedway, would it...

I appreciate it is the kind of thing that’s oft dismissed but I do think track covers are far more advantageous to weekend tracks rather than midweek tracks.

It is easily dismissed just how much work has to go into laying covers, and also the notice required for track covers to be laid. The majority of track staff who would likely be laying the covers would probably be working at the time it was required the covers were laid, as would the track curator who would have to alter the track to fit the covers and evidently volatile weather conditions.

I genuinely don’t think things like meetings being rained off are needle shifters in attendance, if it is the kind of thing that has deterred fans it is an absurdly harsh stance to take IMO as the vast majority of time postponements are made in the interest of rider safety/entertainment levels.

Personally I don’t think covers would have altered or adjusted things such as league sponsorship etc, I find that slightly strawmanish.

If you are talking 2/3 meetings a year at tracks it seems a very minimal gain.

Edited by The Mockingjay
  • Like 1

I appreciate it is the kind of thing that’s oft dismissed but I do think track covers are far more advantageous to weekend tracks rather than midweek tracks.

It is easily dismissed just how much work has to go into laying covers, and also the notice required for track covers to be laid. The majority of track staff who would likely be laying the covers would probably be working at the time it was required the covers were laid, as would the track curator who would have to alter the track to fit the covers and evidently volatile weather conditions.

Track curators altering the track, in what way would they be doing that ?

To late for cover's now can't see promoters affording them three day's with attendance's down at most tracks,

How much does an airfence cost and how much work is involved installing it before each meeting?

£25-30 K, Most track leave them out and most tracks will now only have one blower per bend, thats all these new fences need, once put up just need pinning at the top, securely. But to take them completely down at the end of the season is a real pain, you need about 6-7 people.

To late for cover's now can't see promoters affording them three day's with attendance's down at most tracks,

Attendances may be down, but apostrophes are definitely on the increase!

• Like 2

You won't be seeing track covers at belle vue any time soon I'm afraid. Not even next season

You won't be seeing track covers at belle vue any time soon I'm afraid. Not even next season

Thought yours were measured, cut and just being finished off?