British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle Diamonds V Edinburgh Monarchs Premier League Sunday 28 August 2016

Sorry if I am wrong.

When a meeting was cut short at Berwick last season for the same reason as tonight, it was mentioned what the set up was at Newcastle. I seem to recall this is what was said.

Just sod's law tonight. We almost always have two ambulances and 3 doctors, but the number of major events in the North East today stretched the cover and we were down to one. Lewis's crash seemed to be down to a soft patch on the track after the torrential rain of the last 24 hours. Dan's crash was more down to enthusiasm from a very tallented young man. Hopefully both will be back soon - get well soon Lewis and Dan.

Announced tonight that Lewis is at No.2 from next weekend so at least we can cover any absence with Victor and Matty. Here's hoping that won't be necessary.

Edited by Brough Diamond
  • Like 1

Don't know the facts but I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle were an ambulance short tonight due to the Tall Ships race. Huge crowds up at Blyth all weekend.

Rose looks like a collarbone to me.

Bewley and Masters were very lucky. Bewley looks a talent but very nearly had the same accident in his previous heat.

Edited by Chewbacca

Firstly, best wishes to both the injured riders.

Secondly, Newcastle have ran with only one ambulance all season.

• Like 1

Don't know the facts but I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle were an ambulance short tonight due to the Tall Ships race. Huge crowds up at Blyth all weekend.

Rose looks like a collarbone to me.

Bewley and Masters were very lucky. Bewley looks a talent but very nearly had the same accident in his previous heat.

Yes. As well as the Tall Ships visit to Blyth, there was a cycle race and also a Triathlon in progress, Just sods law that on the night that we have two long untimely delays due to fairly serious injuries, we were down on both ambulances and Doctors. The norm is two Ambulances, and it has been known to be three for a period due to fully kitted Land Rover type of crew carrier, as well as upto 4 Doctors available and sometimes all there during a meeting. We were told that Newcastle has more Doctors that the rest of the speedway clubs put together, due to the usual alternative of a paramedic.

Tonight was just regrettably sods law. :shock:

As to the actual meeting. Thought we were in for an easy win tonight with Hopwood in for Eric Riss, and RR for the injured Ryan Fisher. We hadn't worked on Bewley continuing to be his usual brilliant self at the moment, and other riders showing a bit of extra form. It led to some worrying moments of the possibility of a home defeat(heaven forbid) but we had managed to sneak a 6 point lead when due to the ambulance availability and possibly a curfew, it was agreed that the result would stand, and that the Ambulance would not be required to return too late to make another restart. We were happy with that, Edinburgh were happy with that, with the only regret was the two big smashes causing massive delays, whilst the riders received the attention they deserve. A sad night for both teams to lose very influential riders who will/could be sorely missed come playoffs time. Thoughts should be for the riders and their ability to concentrate on getting better as soon as possible.

EDIT

Forgot to mention that in addition to having the 'company' of HalifaxTiger, met KIRKYLANE on his travels. Was nice to meet you and hope you enjoyed your visit to the Somerset of the North. Without the crashes, this was still a brilliant meeting to watch.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

Lewis Rose is a big loss. The crash looked like at least a collar-bone. Do the rules/averages allow us to bring in Tero for Lewis?

From what I heard, Bewley had no breaks, 'just' concussion. So he will hopefully be back on a bike in 10 days or so? He is definitely a talent. His scorecard was great but what struck me most is that he looked very fast.

Lewis Rose is a big loss. The crash looked like at least a collar-bone. Do the rules/averages allow us to bring in Tero for Lewis?

From what I heard, Bewley had no breaks, 'just' concussion. So he will hopefully be back on a bike in 10 days or so? He is definitely a talent. His scorecard was great but what struck me most is that he looked very fast.

Tero's average 6.24

Lewis' average 5.86

I am so gutted to hear about Lewis :( It's terrible news, if we do need to replace him, can we? I thought the final day to confirm changes was yesterday due to the cut off? Or does this not count for injured riders?

If not there are many guests we can use in the meantime such as Lewis Kerr (5.67), Josh Bates (5.46) and Fernando Garcia (4.58), I know they're not Lewis Rose, but they're something, or maybe we could even use Matthew Wethers (5.70) as a permanent guest as Berwick are looking unlikely to make the playoffs??? (Same goes for Kerr)

I hope Dan Bewley is ok too after that nasty looking crash :( Last night was the worst meeting of the season by far because of all the injuries

Edit: Another thought, could we bring in Anton Rosen for the end of the season at number 6? And have Palovaara stay in the main body? Palovaara (5.49) and Rosen (5.14)

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 2

Think that was misleading. There is certainly no 9pm curfew as we sometimes run on Mondays with 7.30pm start time and those meetings often run beyond 9pm. Obviously you can't run meetings too late so I guess at some point a decision to abandon has to be made.

My understanding was that the 9pm curfew is self imposed to keep the locals happy rather than any planning permission requirement.

It seemed to me that Rose' crash was caused by something mechanical as he stopped dead and was thrown forwards and that's likely to be a shoulder or collar bone injury. I am not sure if Bewley caught the back straight fence or not but he reared and went off the back of the bike, his out of control machine then hitting Masters.

As has been said, I believe Newcastle's medical cover is second to none but as a result of demand caused by the bank holiday they were down to the minimum, leading to a lengthy delay after heat 2. It was a bit of a shambles after heat 11 as no-one seemed to know what was going on and it also seemed to take too long to decide what most thought was obvious.

Having said that, and injuries aside, this was a highly entertaining meeting that looked like it was going to the wire. Bewley's stunning ride to go round Worrall in heat 4 was as good as anything that you will see.

On a final note, the crowds appreciation of Phillips beating Riss was good to hear. While there are a few advocating his removal from the team, I haven't seen anyone come up with a reasonable replacement.

• Like 2

Cannot have a guest , only rider replacement.

Mat and reserves.

Can only sign a rider up to 5.12 as new average not applicable at cut off date which was midnight last night.

New rider will do a job for us and is the best option open to Newcastle due to bad timing.

Lewis is having op on bank hol Monday to plate his broken collarbone which he has broke in 3 places.

Gutted for him as riding so well.

• Like 2

Cannot have a guest , only rider replacement.

Mat and reserves.

Matty and Vic would would be ok taking Lewis's rides, but that would leave Danny to do at least 4,,,

real shame for Lewis as he always seems to end his season early,

and what about 'the ginga ninja', hope he isn't set back too much after that smash as he was great to watch, 'god knows' how you ended up with him instead of Mitchell Davey ???

ad settle for the win, but think it might have been very tight in the end,,,

a hope after some head scrathing we can find someone to come in and do the job, Anton would probly be my choice, but dunno if he would be available ???

Edited by ruffdiamond

Matty and Vic would would be ok taking Lewis's rides, but that would leave Danny to do at least 4,,,

real shame for Lewis as he always seems to end his season early,

and what about 'the ginga ninja', hope he isn't set back too much after that smash as he was great to watch, 'god knows' how you ended up with him instead of Mitchell Davey ???

ad settle for the win, but think it might have been very tight in the end,,,

a hope after some head scrathing we can find someone to come in and do the job, Anton would probly be my choice, but dunno if he would be available ???

Looks like Anton is 0.02 points too high? No wriggle room in the rules for that? We could ask for it to be allowed because 'Rose' and 'Rosen' are nearly the same? 😉

• Like 1

SR 16.3.4 No Team changes will be allowed after 28th August with the effective date being 31st August, except for riders returning to the Team after injury.

Looks like Anton is 0.02 points too high? No wriggle room in the rules for that? We could ask for it to be allowed because 'Rose' and 'Rosen' are nearly the same?

well that hoys the kibosh on that then :(