British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Somerset Premier League Sunday 4th September 2016 At 6.30pm

Great result for the Diamonds.
Well done!

• Like 1

Firstly what a cracking nights racing with the Northern Powerhouse proving too strong for a lack lustre Southern side. Forget the score and remember the on track action: plenty passing which is what I pay to see and incidents too (see below). I went home happy :lol:

1. Ben Hopwood

Although he didn't affect the outcome of the match We wondered if his presence was legitimate as he was at Brough the week before guesting for Edinburgh. Now can someone who knows the rules please advise if he was eligible to appear as a guest for Somerset when just 7 days before he guested for the Monarchs at Brough!

2. Josh Grajczonek

In Heat 8 Josh was not programmed as he was Somersets No1. He came in as rider replacement and was nominated for a TR. He won the race as expected and the Rebels scored an 8-1 now what we thought was he might not have been eligible for a TR. The situation was similar to heat 8 of our home match against Peterborough when Ashley Morris came in as a reserve replacement for Emil Grondal and was handed the black n white job as a TR. George English objected and Peterborough were told Morris couldn't be a TR as he wasn't programmed in heat 8.

The ruling out of Reserve Morris TR in the Peterborough match and leaving No 1 rider Grajczonek in, in the Somerset match as a TR doesn't make sense so that's your homework for the next week was Grajczonek in heat 8 and Hopwood in the team as a guest correct!

I don't know the answers

Firstly what a cracking nights racing with the Northern Powerhouse proving too strong for a lack lustre Southern side. Forget the score and remember the on track action: plenty passing which is what I pay to see and incidents too (see below). I went home happy :lol:

1. Ben Hopwood

Although he didn't affect the outcome of the match We wondered if his presence was legitimate as he was at Brough the week before guesting for Edinburgh. Now can someone who knows the rules please advise if he was eligible to appear as a guest for Somerset when just 7 days before he guested for the Monarchs at Brough!

2. Josh Grajczonek

In Heat 8 Josh was not programmed as he was Somersets No1. He came in as rider replacement and was nominated for a TR. He won the race as expected and the Rebels scored an 8-1 now what we thought was he might not have been eligible for a TR. The situation was similar to heat 8 of our home match against Peterborough when Ashley Morris came in as a reserve replacement for Emil Grondal and was handed the black n white job as a TR. George English objected and Peterborough were told Morris couldn't be a TR as he wasn't programmed in heat 8.

The ruling out of Reserve Morris TR in the Peterborough match and leaving No 1 rider Grajczonek in, in the Somerset match as a TR doesn't make sense so that's your homework for the next week was Grajczonek in heat 8 and Hopwood in the team as a guest correct!

I don't know the answers

Not sure about Hopwood scenario but Josh was eligible for a T/R in heat 8 as you state,he was the R/R for Tungate difference from the Morris scenario was that he was a reserve switch therefore wasn't eligible to don the B/W as it was not one off his programmed rides.

I was going to go to this tonight cause I thought it would've been a cracking meeting with 2 very inform sides. Only to find out half an hour before start time that Tungate isn't there.

With R/R I can only see a comfortable home win, so not bothering to go now.

And no mention on the Diamonds website of Tungate missing.... So think I'll keep my money and watch England insteadvery sad

very sad

D2D,,,

am sure the T/R ride was ok,

the Ben Hopwood scenario, well,,, am sure the 7 or 8 day rule would make him inelligable if its still in force, but maybe that dodgy manager/promoter at Somerset knew that George was away and thought he'd pull a fast one (he's got previous) ;)

Grosh was dissappointing for the Rebels and only Charles Wright done well for them, am not sure that they missed Tungate,,,

The Diamonds were again pretty solid, even if 1 or 2 had the odd stinker,,, all round happy days and am sure now that more sides will be wary of us over the 2 legs :)

On the Ben Hopwood question, the same thing happened last week in the Wolverhampton double header, 'Bomber' Harris guested in both matches for the home team, I said at the time what happened to the 7 day rule? if anyone has the answer, I would appreciate it.

On the Ben Hopwood question, the same thing happened last week in the Wolverhampton double header, 'Bomber' Harris guested in both matches for the home team, I said at the time what happened to the 7 day rule? if anyone has the answer, I would appreciate it.

the rule does not apply to the home team, if you can remember Jason Lyons guested for us for nearly a whole season, for Lemon I believe,,,

oh, and Ludde guested for Edinburgh in a double header just friday gone, AND GOT A DOUBLE MAX ;)

Maybe the 7 day rule doesn't apply for a re-arranged fixture ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Well knew we would lose again to a good team but was always going to be hard without our best rider, wonder if Newcastle knew this when rearranging 😉.

Still confident we can beat the diamonds over two legs though, if it comes to it. Surely Starke, Graj won't be as bad and don't forget this was Jakes first meeting. Rohan is worth more than 9 too.

No excuses Newcastle were better but as I think we will meet again .

Care to expand on that?

sad that some supporters have that outlook - you missed a good nights racing regardless of who was missing and it was a good night of speedway

• Like 3

Double headers count as one match in guest situations. Edinburgh lost two riders in the first match of their double header on Friday and Lee Payne guested for them in the second match against Plymouth, after riding for Redcar in the first one.

sad that some supporters have that outlook - you missed a good nights racing regardless of who was missing and it was a good night of speedway

The problem is its not just me who thinks that way either it's quite a few supporters are getting sick & tired with speedway

Well knew we would lose again to a good team but was always going to be hard without our best rider, wonder if Newcastle knew this when rearranging .

Still confident we can beat the diamonds over two legs though, if it comes to it. Surely Starke, Graj won't be as bad and don't forget this was Jakes first meeting. Rohan is worth more than 9 too.

No excuses Newcastle were better but as I think we will meet again .

I am sure George English looked into his crystal ball and seen Tungate was missing and re-arranged for this date, Somerset however would also have to agree to this date so that theory is blown out the water.

Think it is more a case off trying to get fixtures completed before the cut off.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

I am sure George English looked into his crystal ball and seen Tungate was missing and re-arranged for this date, Somerset however would also have to agree to this date so that theory is blown out the water.

Think it is more a case off trying to get fixtures completed before the cut off.

Tungates 'pants' at Brough anyway ;)

1. Ben Hopwood

2. Josh Grajczonek

I don't know the answers

Ben Hopwood

Good Question. The regulations state that you cannot guest at the same track within eight days unless you are replacing the HOME no1. Or is a NL league rider guesting for the home team (other than in double headers which count as one meeting).

The only reason I can think of is that​ when riding for Edinburgh he was replacing Eric Riss for which Edinburgh had "No Facility" and therefore appeared as a "NL G" (as it is shown in the regulations) whereas for Somerset he was replacing Zack Wadjiwotsit who is injured for which Somerset were entitled to a guest facility shown as a "G" in the regulations. So last week he appeared as a "NL G", this week as a "G". One of the many quirks in the regulations. Either that or someone messed up.

Heat 8 tactical ride.

Josh was allowed to ride as a TR as it is counted as a "Rohan Tungate" ride in which they were entitled to use Josh as a "Replacement" whereas the previous instance match Eric Grondal was the programmed rider and he was "substituted" in effect. In seasons past where two tactical rides were allowed Somerset would NOT have been allowed to use it in heat 11 in yellow as effectively Tungate's tactical ride had already been used. Josh would not have been able to take another TR in his own right for one of his own rides either.