British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bri1966

Congratulations Somerset

Funny or not it is the way it is, I am not saying it is right but when entering at the start off this or last season those were the rules so yes Somerset have finished top off a qualifying competition is this correct.

Yeah I think I know what the rules are, just pointing out how absurd the whole thing is, and trying to get my head around a competition which as you say requires 24 "qualifying " matches for a six match shoot out. I guessing that most speedway followers would agree with me. I think the only people who may be in favour of the rip offs are those who manage to creep into the top six and Nick the title off the team that has finished top. Tbh I couldn't give a you know what about the rip offs , but how "fair " would it be if say the Cats did win it .........another nail in the coffin.
  • Like 1

I will never accept a team finishing 4th. out of 8 being crowned champions as a result of winning a play-off as worthy winners.

Or 6th. out of 13 in the PL case.

Yeah I think I know what the rules are, just pointing out how absurd the whole thing is, and trying to get my head around a competition which as you say requires 24 "qualifying " matches for a six match shoot out. I guessing that most speedway followers would agree with me. I think the only people who may be in favour of the rip offs are those who manage to creep into the top six and Nick the title off the team that has finished top. Tbh I couldn't give a you know what about the rip offs , but how "fair " would it be if say the Cats did win it .........another nail in the coffin.

I totally agree it is absurd but i guess it is financially motivated or they wouldn't bother, but Somerset have been head & shoulders above the rest but like it or not everyone in the Play Off's start on an even keel.

I would say Somerset have just won the League Competition, head and shoulders above any other club.

Now they are in a new competition, called The Playoffs, made up of just 6 clubs, which I am sure they want to win aswell.

As i say it is financially driven that is the only reason you have Play Off's so regardless of what you say or anyone for that matter they are not League champions yet do they deserve it off course they do, would it be a travesty if they didn't win it off course it would but that is the way it is unfortunately.

• Like 1

Quite agree with most of your comments the team that wins the league should be crowned as league champions end of but to just use Panthers as an example is being a bit biased , as the rule stands if your in the top 6 you have the same chance of winning it as much as the other 5 while don't agree with it that's the way it's set up , may be it would be better if the team that finishes top of the league are crowned champions and the playoffs are a separate competition, In my book Somerset have proved they are the most consistent team in the league so should be recognised as the champions .

• Like 4

Although I usually couldn't give a toss, I'll be rooting for Somerset in the play offs. Nobody can deny they've been the best team this season.

Rye House actually finished fifth in 2007 when only the top four qualified for the play offs. Birmingham couldn't complete their league fixtures before the cut off date and overtook the Rockets after the play off places had been decided.

Rye were fourth at the cut off date and had the good fortune to see Sheffield knock out the much fancied Kings Lynn in the other semi

Shads, the finishing positions in 2007 were:

1. King's Lynn

2. Birmingham (5th at cut-off)

3. Rye House

4. Sheffield

5. IOW

http://www.speedwaygb.co/premierleaguetable07

So not quite as much good fortune for Rye as you suggest. As for KL, they had choice of semi-final opponents and chose Sheffield, so more fool them!

All the teams knew the rules at the start of the season, and therefore RH were worthy league champions.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

1. King's Lynn

3. Rye House

4. Sheffield

5. IOW

So not quite as much good fortune for Rye as you suggest. As for KL, they had choice of semi-final opponents and chose Sheffield, so more fool them!

All the teams knew the rules at the start of the season, and therefore RH were worthy league champions.

All the best

Rob

Well, I wasn't far off 😃
  • Like 1

1. King's Lynn

3. Rye House

4. Sheffield

5. IOW

All the best

Rob

We all know the rules at the start Rob, but what people are saying is it's stupid and makes our sport look barmy. In your post where you point out Rye were worthy champs, you also use words and phrases like "good fortune for Rye", and "more fool them ". As I recall KL were top top team that year, very entertaining team.

We are stuck with it this year but please you guys who look after Speedway please bin this nonsense for 2017.

• Like 2

Playoffs are fantastic and here to stay....

Big crowds, anticipation and an exciting end to the season if the weather plays ball. Just ask the weegies who loved it in 2015 .......

If the top team are all conquering then they will win everything in any case.

• Like 1

Quite agree with most of your comments the team that wins the league should be crowned as league champions end of but to just use Panthers as an example is being a bit biased , as the rule stands if your in the top 6 you have the same chance of winning it as much as the other 5 while don't agree with it that's the way it's set up , may be it would be better if the team that finishes top of the league are crowned champions and the playoffs are a separate competition, In my book Somerset have proved they are the most consistent team in the league so should be recognised as the champions .

Congratulations to Somerset for topping the league firstly.This is how I Would rather see it but that is just my opinion.
  • Like 1

In 2007 Rye lost Robbo early in the season and Silver's replacement signing were poor until he finally got it right with Ekberg - the team Rye had would have won that league but for Robbo's injury.

The playoffs were a forgone conclusion whoever they got.

Newcastle the first team to lose league title to the playoffs when they finished the season top. It just makes the season 3 knockout competitions

• Like 1

Play-offs are about dealing with pressure.

Apparently Sophie's pressure is around 10-15 PSI :D
  • Like 2

Imagine the scenario in football , Leicester finish top in the best PL ever then we run a little play off nonsense , United splash out again and win . Man U now champs.....uproar.

Playoffs are fantastic and here to stay....

Big crowds, anticipation and an exciting end to the season if the weather plays ball. Just ask the weegies who loved it in 2015 .......

If the top team are all conquering then they will win everything in any case.

I cannot think of another sport where favourites are not nailed on as you imply than speedway. Literally one second can ruin an entire fixture for you with no going back.

Not at all mate, the play off's are good for speedway, those who qualify will do well out of it attendance wise, thats what its all about. Same as ours.

• Like 1