British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

5/7/1982 Reading V Poole

Speedway Star reports the result as 56-22. This result is referred to in subsequent club columns on at least three occasions. The Reading programme from 27/09 shows the result as 56-22.

The final BL table in SStar 6/11 reports Reading's race points totals as F 1078 A 1103 and Poole's 978.5 and 1204.5. The track reviews for Racers (27/11) and Pirates (15/1/83) concur with those totals and the 56-22 result is recorded as Reading's biggest home win and Poole's biggest away defeat.

The SGB website table returns Reading 1077 & 1104 and Poole 979.5 & 1203.5.

Richard Waller's 1982 yearbook reports the result as 55-23. Stancl is recorded as 7+2 (4) but 8+2 (4) in the Star. Smith 3(4) but 4(4) in SStar. Kennedy 2(4) but 0(4) in SStar.

I believe there are two heats which require clarification:

Heat 4: Gresham, Smith, Grahame, Kennedy.

Heat 9: (rerun) Andersson, Stancl, Smith, Kennedy (disq), Prinsloo (ns).

Can anyone untangle this one?

Logically, i think it has to be 56-22.

If Stancl dropped a point in heat 9, then surely that would make him 7(1) not 7(2)? which would mean to make him 7(2) a whole lot of other heats must be different as well, which seems highly unlikely, if not impossible?

Added to the fact that weight of sources leans that way as well.

Sorry, can't add anything as concrete as a programme with scores in.

I'll have a look up in the loft as i should have this programme.

Heat 9

Smith was reserve replacement for Kennedy in white

Prinsloo in Y/B was a non-starter (not sure why)

Kennedy in Y/B as replacement

result: R- Y - B - W a 4-2 to Reading

Reading protested about re-introduction.

AFTER heat 11 referee (John Homer) changed his mind and redeclared result of ht 9 as R - B - W - Y (disq)

Poole appealed this after the match, which ended 56-22 on the night

11 August: Poole won appeal, original result of heat 9 re-instated and result altered to 55-23.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 2

Thanks Arnie. I've since found a small reference to the alteration in SStar 18/9 which I didn't pick up on last night but even if I had, I would still have been seeking clarification.

As my NZ friend pointed out, that will render Stancl's score in the yearbook wrong and it should read 7+1(4). Surprisingly the alteration doesn't rate a mention so it gives the appearance of the match finishing 55-23 on track.

Sounds like some bizarre refereeing! And goes to show what a wealth of information people like your good selves are.

Sounds like some bizarre refereeing! And goes to show what a wealth of information people like your good selves are.

If you think that's bizarre- you should have been at the 1st ever Reading Racers home match in 1968(my 1st speedway match) against Nelson on June 17th

Arnie will tell you what happened :lol: (can`t be bothered to try a find the book :lol: )

Edited by racers and royals