British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Swindon Sprockets - Coventry Storm 8.9.16

I was thinking about this when I was typing above. I have no insight to what the promoters at Buxton and Stoke are thinking, these are only my impressions. Buxton and Stoke are all about survival. Neither team gets many supporters therefore they cannot attract any big name / top riders. Occasionally they will get the odd nugget, Craig Cook, James Wright etc. but essentially they will attract the experienced riders like Tony Atkin who are riding for fun and young riders looking to establish themselves.

And good luck to both clubs.

As for the other clubs, Isle of Wight are in their first season, doing a great job of establishing the club. I would imagine through time they will fall into the same category as Birmingham etc. Then you have Mildenhall, who are a bit of a hybrid for me, they are a stand alone track, but also place a lot of emphasis on developing young riders and run an MDL team as well.

The National League is an interesting mix. Unlike the Elite and Premier Leagues, where there is the common goal of purely winning titles, it seems there are different priorities in the National League. That's what makes it potentially more interesting than the other two.

TMW nothing wrong with wanting to win and I have no criticism of any of the promotions. Read my post and you will see that. I was pointing out that different clubs in the League have different agenda, some need to succeed to win and grow, for some, success is feeding riders through to their senior team.

Don't see what the rant was all about.

My apologies I think I quoted the wrong post

I'll get my coat !!

I do try not to get involved in discussion on here as a lot is lost in the written word.

But for what it's worth I do think in terms of development JPB would have been better going to Buxton as he would be their no. 1 by now and there is a lot to be said for that. Instead he is at Res unable to overtake the main 1-5 in the averages. The usual trend is to go at red for 4 meetings then shoot to no.1. Riders should take responsibility as well and not let their heads get turned by points money especially at this level.

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

Not quite sure I agree with you here, topsoil.

In which of you your two categories would you place Buxton and Stoke?

They are not exactly built around success and I'm not sure that they could be lauded for bringing riders through.

Just my opinion, obviously.

:t:

A really good point there Birmingham have a very good side but it is not a shorterm team just there to win it has riders that have promising futures in the sport.I watched NL racing last night for the first time since 2004 (conference) tell you what it has improved it was really surprising i enjoyed the meeting very much. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I also really enjoyed the meeting and would have thought the numbers were nearer 500 at a rough estimate, maybe Rosco may report how many . A couple of riders stated that it was a bigger crowd than they get at Birmingham.

Does anyone know if D Ayres is on the FTR list, yes I know he is not a youngster, and if yes why did we not use him when Stefan was injured. Make a note, a possible guest rider if one is needed next season Rosco.

If that is what the NL is like lets have it next year along side our EL team.

If others enjoyed it let the club or Rosco know.

I remember Danny guesting for Coventry two years ago at the Abbey he was totally out of depth.Wow how much has Danny improved for me he would score more than Stefan at this time since coming back from injury Stefan has struggled.
  • Like 2

Glad to see the positive comments about the standard of National League racing.

When Cradley came back at this level there were many who were sceptical about whether the fans would stay with it after the initial interest had subsided. After all with a pedigree that includes many World Champions there was a big possibility that many would not bother.

I've been really impressed with the standard, so much better than when we used to see teams of juniors pottering around and falling off regularly.

Its all about racing and occasionally you get the odd surprise moment like Monday night when Ben Basford pulled an incredible locker, messed up the rider behind him and Joe Lawlor shot past both of them into the lead.

I think the NL has proved its worth with the likes of Cook, Lambert, Garrity, Morris, Worrall(s), Ellis, Starke and Newman now becoming firmly established in the Elite league.

Long may it continue ( and I'm glad the value of guys like Armo and Atkin (Wales no 1) was appreciated earlier).

• Like 5

If 500 turned out pretty good crowd. Would definitely attend a few meetings if swindon run second team hopefully in new stadium next year.

• Like 1