British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Swindon Sprockets - Coventry Storm 8.9.16

well done Orlov, glad to see somebody has posted a thread about this meeting in the NL section.

Maybe it'll just be you and me who show up for the meeting!! :D

well done Orlov, glad to see somebody has posted a thread about this meeting in the NL section.

Maybe it'll just be you and me who show up for the meeting!! :D

Let's hope not.

Hope it's a success. This league is such maligned and it's a brilliant league. Ok it doesn't have 'names'. Maybe they should allow some and then it would be given the merit it quite rightly deserves.

• Like 3

They have all got names, just some you may not of heard of. :lol:

I'm pretty sure TMW has heard of all the NL riders, even Chris Widman :wink::o

• Like 2

Let's hope not.

Hope it's a success. This league is such maligned and it's a brilliant league. Ok it doesn't have 'names'. Maybe they should allow some and then it would be given the merit it quite rightly deserves.

You're spot on TMW. I hadn't seen any NL racing in several years & been really pleasantly surprised by the standard of racing. Enjoyed picking out potential young riders who could progress to EL level & beyond, fascinating to see who makes it.

Hope the Swindon fans have enjoyed it tonight too, would be great to see the Sprockets in the 2017 NL.

• Like 3

You're spot on TMW. I hadn't seen any NL racing in several years & been really pleasantly surprised by the standard of racing. Enjoyed picking out potential young riders who could progress to EL level & beyond, fascinating to see who makes it.

Hope the Swindon fans have enjoyed it tonight too, would be great to see the Sprockets in the 2017 NL.

I hadn't seen any National League standard racing until the Under 19 British Championship last season at Berwick and the Stars of Tomorrow meeting at the same track this season and I was very pleasantly surprised at the standard. Going back ten years and the same Stars of Tomorrow meeting would be guaranteed a fall in every heat. This year I can only remember one and that was first bend bunching due to all four riders going for the same spot.

i would encourage as many fans as possible to back racing at this standard.

• Like 3

Really enjoyed tonight Ayres a league above what a showman he is, he would of been ok in any era value for money.The gate i believe was 300 plus? Atkins a 15 year old lad looked very talented i do hope Swindon go NL next season.Tonight i was amazed what Rossiter the England manager said, he said there were powerhouses in the NL and that is going against the princibles of the NL.Birmingham did he mean that club ? they have Zach, Hume, Parkinson Blackburn,Smith, hardly a ageing club all long term prospects.Apart from Atkin, Armstrong there are not that many older riders in the NL and the ones named do a great job bringing the young ones on a puzzling statement from Rossiter i thought.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

Really enjoyed tonight Ayres a league above what a showman he is, he would of been ok in any era value for money.The gate i believe was 300 plus? Atkins a 15 year old lad looked very talented i do hope Swindon go NL next season.Tonight i was amazed what Rossiter the England manager said, he said there were powerhouses in the NL and that is going against the princibles of the NL.Birmingham did he mean that club ? they have Zach, Hume, Parkinson Blackburn,Smith, hardly a ageing club all long term prospects.Apart from Atkin, Armstrong there are not that many older riders in the NL and the ones named do a great job bringing the young ones on a puzzling statement from Rossiter i thought.

The National League is very much a two way split, you have the stand alone tracks like Birmingham, Cradley, Kent, Eastbourne etc. who are built around success, as they want to pull in the crowds to make their clubs grow. Then you have Coventry, Kings Lynn, Rye House etc. who are much about bringing riders through for their senior teams. Different clubs, different agendas.

The National League is very much a two way split, you have the stand alone tracks like Birmingham, Cradley, Kent, Eastbourne etc. who are built around success, as they want to pull in the crowds to make their clubs grow. Then you have Coventry, Kings Lynn, Rye House etc. who are much about bringing riders through for their senior teams. Different clubs, different agendas.

Not quite sure I agree with you here, topsoil.

In which of you your two categories would you place Buxton and Stoke?

They are not exactly built around success and I'm not sure that they could be lauded for bringing riders through.

Just my opinion, obviously.

:t:

Not quite sure I agree with you here, topsoil.

In which of you your two categories would you place Buxton and Stoke?

They are not exactly built around success and I'm not sure that they could be lauded for bringing riders through.

Just my opinion, obviously.

:t:

Well Buxton = Craig cook

This argument gets an airing every 'Play Off season' . What is wrong with a will to win? Be it MDL NL PL or EL. Matt Ford gets it because he wants to win and all the EL rules are made to stop him. Drury is getting the same reputation. That is what is wrong with this country we don't admire and try to emulate the smart kid in the class we bully them because we aren't smart. I went to my kids sports days many years ago where I stood and watched them do some kind of it's a knock out because we can't allow kids to shine just in case those that don't may become insecure. No ! I wanted to watch my kids in the 100 Mtrs sprint and win or lose watch them try.

Sorry end of rant

I was thinking about this when I was typing above. I have no insight to what the promoters at Buxton and Stoke are thinking, these are only my impressions. Buxton and Stoke are all about survival. Neither team gets many supporters therefore they cannot attract any big name / top riders. Occasionally they will get the odd nugget, Craig Cook, James Wright etc. but essentially they will attract the experienced riders like Tony Atkin who are riding for fun and young riders looking to establish themselves.

And good luck to both clubs.

As for the other clubs, Isle of Wight are in their first season, doing a great job of establishing the club. I would imagine through time they will fall into the same category as Birmingham etc. Then you have Mildenhall, who are a bit of a hybrid for me, they are a stand alone track, but also place a lot of emphasis on developing young riders and run an MDL team as well.

The National League is an interesting mix. Unlike the Elite and Premier Leagues, where there is the common goal of purely winning titles, it seems there are different priorities in the National League. That's what makes it potentially more interesting than the other two.

TMW nothing wrong with wanting to win and I have no criticism of any of the promotions. Read my post and you will see that. I was pointing out that different clubs in the League have different agenda, some need to succeed to win and grow, for some, success is feeding riders through to their senior team.

Don't see what the rant was all about.

I also really enjoyed the meeting and would have thought the numbers were nearer 500 at a rough estimate, maybe Rosco may report how many . A couple of riders stated that it was a bigger crowd than they get at Birmingham.

Does anyone know if D Ayres is on the FTR list, yes I know he is not a youngster, and if yes why did we not use him when Stefan was injured. Make a note, a possible guest rider if one is needed next season Rosco.

If that is what the NL is like lets have it next year along side our EL team.

If others enjoyed it let the club or Rosco know.

• Like 1