British Speedway Forum

it will be interesting to see if anything gets done with the hancock by the fim as the main sponsor being monster and you would not want to upset monster joe and his gang now would you , as far as the comments made by middlo and Havelock you would have thought they new better but it proves to me what I have always thought of those two as thick as the pair of them

• Like 1

Just need to hope that from now on the FIM act just as swiftly and decisively on future "occurences" like this, otherwise they will be just as bad as Hancock (and others over the years) have been.

• Like 1

Can I ask how many people who have posted on this topic with quite forthright views towards Greg, did you voice those same views in the same way back in 2000 when Mark Loram and Joe Screen were together in the final round of the championship working together throughout the whole meeting and in the pits right in front of the camera to help Mark to the title?

Or what about the times when races have been thrown in world cups to aid teams?

I'm not agreeing that it is right, far from it, and actually the stance taken by the FIM was needed. But imo it was needed day 1 that this happened. Then riders and teams wouldn't be doing it now. The FIM imo are to blame for being too lenient throughout their competitions over many years. I wonder how many of those top 16 riders on show today have made decisions similar before leaving the pits in other competitions over the years?

Better late than never! I condemn ALL cheating and always have. That was the excuse used by a national TV channel when asked why they had stopped covering Speedway " It's fixed." Why is this odious Monster Joe allowed in the pits, he serves no practical purpose whatsoever? Today was just another nail in the coffin of what is just a fairground sideshow.

• Like 5

Can I ask how many people who have posted on this topic with quite forthright views towards Greg, did you voice those same views in the same way back in 2000 when Mark Loram and Joe Screen were together in the final round of the championship working together throughout the whole meeting and in the pits right in front of the camera to help Mark to the title?

Manipulating a race to help a friend/countryman or in this case Monster teammate is never acceptable. I would still say the same if Greg was helping Tai out tonight.

• Like 1

It's happened before, in all sorts of speedway competitions, and riders/teams have gotten away with it....

Perhaps this was the straw that broke the camels back?

Hancock should have made a better job of the faux pas, perhaps looked down at his engine, or cut out, fuel taps, or something, instead of just slowing and leaving a hole the size of the USA for Holder to go through!!!

Or what about the times when races have been thrown in world cups to aid teams?

I'm not agreeing that it is right, far from it, and actually the stance taken by the FIM was needed. But imo it was needed day 1 that this happened. Then riders and teams wouldn't be doing it now. The FIM imo are to blame for being too lenient throughout their competitions over many years. I wonder how many of those top 16 riders on show today have made decisions similar before leaving the pits in other competitions over the years?

Yes I did say the same about Screen and Loram, It's happened before with Americans and as you say in World Cups. I voiced my disapproval then also. Not to so many people (early days for internet) but just as vociferously.

The fact that it's happened before doesn't make it right, and you are correct it should have been stamped on long ago. What makes it more important IMO nowadays is the fact that many people now bet on the outcome of meetings and individual races (whether you approve or not) they have the right too expect riders to race at all times and not throw races because they have a friend or team mate who needs a point or two. I've given up on anyone from mainstream media taking speedway seriously as a sport. As I've said before the multi sponsoring by Monster makes allegations of conspiracy and corruption very easy for press investigations, which mainstream media love.

• Like 5

Todays SGP was a terrific meeting spoilt by a few incidents. I don't condone Hancock for slowing down and helping another rider, we see this regularly through the season, but to do it so blatantly was insulting and against the integrity of the sport. Yes, the FIM did right in reprimanding Hancock, but for him to pull out, was an insult to everything that speedway thrives to achieve. People had paid good monies to watch and television broadcasting it over the world, this was a bad move.

The crime of helping another rider is hard to police and difficult to prove and for this reason I think a public warning could have servised. Hancock, for his part should have been more professional and thought of others instead of himself. His actions belittled the occasion when it should have been the grand finale of the season.

My opinion of Hancock has deteriated in recent times and todays episode only emphasises them thoughts. Hancock has ridden consistently all season and should be rightly acclaimed as the World Champion, but unfortunately today he will be remembered for the ungracious attitude he portrayed when he was taken to task...... Shame that....

Spelling changed :t:

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 1

Personally I'm more disappointed in his decision to walk out the meeting.

Riders have been excluded many times over the years for things that they don't agree with, but walking out and stiffing the fans that have paid good money to see him is pretty despicable.

Riders get bans for refusing to start in GP and SWC events. Will a similar punishment come for someone leaving the event early?

Spot on, that's my gripe too, the race throwing was dealt with swiftly and I was impressed, Hancock's subsequent actions are what turned me totally against him, as you say he gave no thought whatsoever to the people who had shelled out their hard earned to watch the meeting. I hope they give him a ban and a heavy fine for walking out.

Todays SGP was a terrific meeting spoilt by a few incidents. I don't condone Hancock for slowing down and helping another rider, we see this regularly through the season, but to do it so blatantly was insulting and against the integrity of the sport. Yes, the FIM did right in reprimanding Hancock, but for him to pull out, was an insult to everything that speedway thrives to achieve. People had paid good monies to watch and television broadcasting it over the world, this was a bad move.

The crime of helping another rider is hard to police and difficult to prove and for this reason I think a public warning could have servised. Hancock, for his part should have been more professional and thought of others instead of himself. His actions belittled the occasion when it should have been the grand finale of the season.

My opinion of Hancock has deteriated in recent times and todays episode only emphasises them thoughts. Hancock has ridden consistently all season and should be rightly acclaimed as the World Champion, but unfortunately today he will be remembered for the ungroppious attitude he portrayed when he was taken to task...... Shame that....

I was sat here thinking what great wordage but I had to look it up for a literal meaning, no luck though. So is it anything to do with Donald Trump type behaviour with the Monster girls? If so then he's gone even further down in my estimation, those poor start girls....

Haha heat 9, Hancock was obviously riding his bike really oddly and would u believe it, went way too wide after checking twice if Chris was 2nd lol

Greg Hancock has become a disgrace.

Firstly his attack on Pedersen

Then pulling out of the World Team Cup

And now blatantly cheating

Middlo yet again proving he is a total prize plonker. The man shouldnt be allowed anywhere near social media

• Like 6

I was once indifferent towards Hancock although I have always admired his skill as a Speedway rider and what he has achieved in the sport.

However, after his violent assault on Nicki, the events around pulling out of the SWC and the two episodes today I find it difficult how anyone can carry on defending him, not that there are many on here doing that!

• Like 3

GRW did you mean sufficed?

Don't you start on him too, I felt bad enough over 'ungroppious' but it did need addressing. :t:

So delighted for Chris Holder. I love this guy :wub: despite the fact he's a Poole rider :P

I've been a bit fed up with him recently but it seems he much more deeply affected by the injury to Ward then a lot of us realised. It seems the split from his partner rumours might be true too :(

He totally worked his balls off for that win today hopefully it will spur him on now.

• Like 5