British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

As regards fixtures...against the background of wanting to get my paws on 2017 season tickets as soon as possible, do I'm trying not to be negative ...would it be possible to avoid, say, three matches against Workington in the first few weeks of the season? This year's fixture list started off very repetitively!

Given the narrowing of the gap between the top leagues, a challenge match against one of the "top" teams would be good (but I assume it would be too pricey - ?)

I'm still thinking about building a team to a 40 point limit - what's Danny's CMA?

DP should start on a 2.00 (if I've read it correctly) as he didn't achieve the minimum 3.00 point ave.

Pros and cons of new structure

Pros

1 Its a cost cutting exercise as with 21 fewer riders its assumed the foreign riders will go

2 whys it cost cutting because riders are not paid the same ... lambert and Philips are not on the same wages .... so you have cheaper riders being paid for 90 points

3 clubs may be under less financial pain

Cons

1 brilliant we see only 9 teams in a season

2 inferior product available

3 fewer riders available for rider replacement and covering heat leaders

4 fewer rider spaces available for everyone ....... a load of riders will drop out

5 fewer doubling up spaces ..... so the likes of the worralls etc will struggle

6 the great 4s weekend is slaughtered.... back to 8 and 1 day

7 a cup competition of just 10 ,,, great more chance to see 9 teams

8 PLRC is everyones top 1 ... plus your second .......................... even weaker field

9 Play off to get promoted..... yeah we tried one and sunday tracks cant race in elite league .......... super..... great idea

10 stupid name change .... nowt wrong with elite and premier

11 the fixture list clashes have not been resolved and with fewer riders around ....... everyone is going to see weaker teams

The promoters are excited by the plans !! ... great the fans aren't

this will be seen as the worst agm decision of all time ............. the promotors have weakened both leagues and not even thought about the reality of fixture clashes,

shortage of riders and a weaker product they expect everyone to pay the same for

speedway in UK is in serious trouble ........ it needed a radical shake up and not this typical half arsed compromise to keep some elite promotors happy

there should have been 1 premier league with all teams and a 40 point cap - with 8 of those teams also fielding an elite team in a separate top flight competition ....... with the others just riding in knock out cup , end of season trophy with the league champions decided by just league results whilst elite could have their playoff final

the elite 8 - 20 premier league matches + 7 elite and 2 potential playoffs.... 27 to 29 meetings

the other premier 13 - 20 premier league matches, cup 1-4 matches ... 1-3 playoffs ..... 2 pre season friendlies ..... 24-29 meetings in a season that is 32 weeks long

I will support my diamonds through thick and thin but 2017 I am not looking forward too ............. apart from seeing ricky wells ride 10 times at brough (1 friendly, 1 cup, 2 league and 1 playoff as Workington visit just 5 times... and then he guests 5 times for the other teams ................)

Edited by mauger65
  • Like 3

I would image this is the likely pool of riders we'll be looking at.....

Robert Lambert 8.76 Steve Worrall 8.51 Richie Worrall 8.33 Aaron Summers 8.13 Ricky Wells 7.71 Ludvig Lindgren 7.65 Matej Kus 7.55 Rene Bach 7.32 Rory Schlein 7.17 Stuart Robson 7.09 Michael Palm Toft 7.01 Lasse Bjerre 6.65 Kyle Newman 6.31 Tero Aarnio 6.24 Lewis Kerr 6.16 Lewis Rose 5.86 Victor Palovaara 5.80 Ashley Morris 4.83 Liam Carr 4.81 Robert Branford 4.60 Danny Phillips 2.00

S Worrall, L Lindgren, M Kus, L Rose, A Morris & D Phillips leaves only 3.60 for the 7th rider.

I'm going to have to get used to seeing both my footie and speedway team in the inferior Championship (unless Bournemouth is a turning point :rofl: )

That's a reasonable team ... reserves an issue .. but they will be for the other 9 teams ......

Maybe Lambert for Worrall...? Then it's we only have to avoid kings Lynn,matches

Is Maths not your strong point? Or is someone else joining as well? Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ipswich, Newcastle, Peterborough, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington. 10 teams

Maths is my strong point actually XD I'm studying maths :P I was just including Plymouth as well, stupidly and unfortunately :(

That's a reasonable team ... reserves an issue .. but they will be for the other 9 teams ......

Maybe Lambert for Worrall...? Then it's we only have to avoid kings Lynn,matches

Assuming Lambert rides for King's Lynn next year :)

I would image this is the likely pool of riders we'll be looking at.....

Robert Lambert 8.76 Steve Worrall 8.51 Richie Worrall 8.33 Aaron Summers 8.13 Ricky Wells 7.71 Ludvig Lindgren 7.65 Matej Kus 7.55 Rene Bach 7.32 Rory Schlein 7.17 Stuart Robson 7.09 Michael Palm Toft 7.01 Lasse Bjerre 6.65 Kyle Newman 6.31 Tero Aarnio 6.24 Lewis Kerr 6.16 Lewis Rose 5.86 Victor Palovaara 5.80 Ashley Morris 4.83 Liam Carr 4.81 Robert Branford 4.60 Danny Phillips 2.00

S Worrall, L Lindgren, M Kus, L Rose, A Morris & D Phillips leaves only 3.60 for the 7th rider.

I'm going to have to get used to seeing both my footie and speedway team in the inferior Championship (unless Bournemouth is a turning point :rofl: )

must feel strange supporting newcastle and sunderland

How does reducing the points limit cut costs? You still have to pay for 90 points per meeting irrespective of whether you build to a 40 point limit or 50 point limit.

Because teams don't pay the same points money for every rider. Heat leaders earn more per point than second strings and reserves. You don't think Danny Phillips was on the same money as Lambert or Worrall do you?

Plus some riders get paid a flat rate regardless of how many points they score. The lower the points limit, the lower the standard of rider you are employing, the less you pay.

Because teams don't pay the same points money for every rider. Heat leaders earn more per point than second strings and reserves. You don't think Danny Phillips was on the same money as Lambert or Worrall do you?

Plus some riders get paid a flat rate regardless of how many points they score. The lower the points limit, the lower the standard of rider you are employing, the less you pay.

That's true but if some clubs want to include your cook,masters,king,kennett then they will so there not really saving money are they? Clubs should only offer riders what they can afford not paying out money they haven't got or can't afford if a rider doesn't want to accept that then that would be the riders problem instead of weakening the product even further.

So in effect riders like lasse bjerre etc who are on attractive averages could demand more money because they'll be more sought after so clubs might not save money at all. But we will have to wait and see personally I can't see that weakening the product will bring the crowds flocking back!

They've just basically done what they did with the elite league when the same teams visit 2/3 or more times a season.

That's true but if some clubs want to include your cook,masters,king,kennett then they will so there not really saving money are they? Clubs should only offer riders what they can afford not paying out money they haven't got or can't afford if a rider doesn't want to accept that then that would be the riders problem instead of weakening the product even further.

So in effect riders like lasse bjerre etc who are on attractive averages could demand more money because they'll be more sought after so clubs might not save money at all. But we will have to wait and see personally I can't see that weakening the product will bring the crowds flocking back!

They've just basically done what they did with the elite league when the same teams visit 2/3 or more times a season.

Have to agree Lowering Team averages to save money should not be the issue,the Promoters are creating the problem themselves,bring in a standard rate if the riders don't like it too bad .Earning nothing means they have to find another job.The sport will continue. Edited by Fromafar

The 2 point newcomer average should encourage their inclusion.

Use a pair of those and you effectively build to an old 42 limit - little difference.

Still enables teams to use the big hitters up top if they want to.

Will then come down to a promotions preference as to what they feel is tge best way to structure a team.

Not the negative that some are proclaiming IMO.

bit of da ja vu here .

can you name any 2 pointers . cheers .