British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Im very surprised to see Phillips in so many 1-7's? Had a stinker last season in both leagues. Im assuming the view is a years worth of track knowledge? There are a dozen NL riders who would sign on a 2.00 and out perform Phillips. Don't get me wrong i rate the potential in Danny but he seems to have stalled over the past couple of seasons and im not sure "the championship" is helping him.

Im very surprised to see Phillips in so many 1-7's? Had a stinker last season in both leagues. Im assuming the view is a years worth of track knowledge? There are a dozen NL riders who would sign on a 2.00 and out perform Phillips. Don't get me wrong i rate the potential in Danny but he seems to have stalled over the past couple of seasons and im not sure "the championship" is helping him.

I agree to a certain extent. I hope promotions don’t take the same desperado stand fans are (in both leagues) and try and squeeze riders in on a 2.00 average just because, well, that means the side can sign a better heat leader or second strings. There has to be a logic and thought process or it will just ruin a lot of young riders.

There also appears to be a mentality of “well they were in the side last season so have to be better next year” there are more than enough examples that don’t validate that thought process.

Edited by Tyrion

I agree to a certain extent. I hope promotions don’t take the same desperado stand fans are (in both leagues) and try and squeeze riders in on a 2.00 average just because, well, that means the side can sign a better heat leader or second string. There has to be a logic and thought process or it will just ruin a lot of young riders.

There also appears to be a mentality of “well they were in the side last season so have to be better next year” there are more than enough examples that don’t validate that thought process.

I would suspect it is :-

- Another years experience behind him

- Only on a 2 average now

- He's British

- The quality of reserves he will be racing against next year will not be the standard that he faced last year.

I would suspect it is :-

- Another years experience behind him

- Only on a 2 average now

- He's British

- The quality of reserves he will be racing against next year will not be the standard that he faced last year.

He also has track knowledge of Brough (Which no other 2.00ers do that I can think of? Mountain if you count Press & Practice), already knows his old teammates, hopefully most of which will be back AND doesn't every team have to have a 2.00er at 7? Or is that just something I've got into my head?

I think I'd prefer Mountain over Phillips if we went with 1 2.00er, but I think the whole point of the new system is to give young riders a chance, and regardless of what other teams do I think we should have 2 2.00ers at reserve to give them experience and an opportunity, because what we'll lose in reserve, we'll make up in the main body, this is just my opinion of course :)

I can certainly see the Pros & Cons however i do wonder that if there was little improvement over the course of 2016 why will that be any different in 2017? If a new 2.00er came in at the same level would they have a better chance of improving? There were some excellent No.7's this season and some disappointments and i don't expect the level in 2017 to be any different.

Could you name the 12 please? Very interested to find out which ones you reckon would sign and out-perform Danny.

He also has track knowledge of Brough (Which no other 2.00ers do that I can think of? Mountain if you count Press & Practice), already knows his old teammates, hopefully most of which will be back AND doesn't every team have to have a 2.00er at 7? Or is that just something I've got into my head?

I think I'd prefer Mountain over Phillips if we went with 1 2.00er, but I think the whole point of the new system is to give young riders a chance, and regardless of what other teams do I think we should have 2 2.00ers at reserve to give them experience and an opportunity, because what we'll lose in reserve, we'll make up in the main body, this is just my opinion of course :)

As far as I'm aware, Connor Mountain wasn't at Brough Park on P&P day.

Anyway, what's this fixation with Connor Mountain? :D:P

If Phillips is that good on a 2 point average then surely his parent club or whoever he is an asset of will use him ( Rathbone??)

Could you name the 12 please? Very interested to find out which ones you reckon would sign and out-perform Danny.

As far as I'm aware, Connor Mountain wasn't at Brough Park on P&P day.

Anyway, what's this fixation with Connor Mountain? :D:P

Right here we go;

Bacon

Greenwood

Chessell

Mountain

Perks

Wood

Knight

Halsey

Hughes

Coles

Priest

Hopwood

ignoring those who are lined up/in high demand elsewhere (JPB,Smith,Hume,Shanes etc) not that i think Phillips doesn't have potential but perhaps Newcastle just doesn't work for him?

If Phillips is that good on a 2 point average then surely his parent club or whoever he is an asset of will use him ( Rathbone??)

It has been mentioned on the Peterborough thread.

I see Palovaara has announced on Twitter he is looking for a Polish and Uk team, does this mean no spot in Diamonds team of 2017??

Victor Palovaara #21 @victorpalovaara 2h2 hours ago

I'm looking for team a team in uk or Poland for next season

No thanks, he looked awful when he rode the showground for Newcastle in 2016

No just at the Showground, he was like that at most tracks, I think he had one good meeting at Redcar early on!! With all these people mentioning bring Philips back, it does not matter if he comes back on a 0.00 average, he does not add anything to the team or any true scoring potential and I think we would be better off with Smith or Knight. Jack Smith 6.32 (NL), Jake Knight 8.53 (NL) A Morris 9.77 (NL), E Perks 8.25 (NL) and D Phillips 6.25. Would rather have Knight or Perks over Phillips any day.

Right here we go;

Bacon

Greenwood Ollie has an average of 2.12 and is about on Par with Danny (IMO)

Chessell

Mountain

Perks He's got an average of 2.38 but would prob improve on that.

Wood

Knight IMO wouldn't be as good as Danny

Halsey 1pt from 11 rides doesn't appeal (to me)

Hughes If that's Kyle Hughes, I'm pretty sure he will have a PL ave from a few seasons ago.

Coles

Priest If that's Luke Priest - see Hughes

Hopwood Been around for a few seasons now and doesn't appear to be getting any better

ignoring those who are lined up/in high demand elsewhere (JPB,Smith,Hume,Shanes etc) not that i think Phillips doesn't have potential but perhaps Newcastle just doesn't work for him?

Of the rest I haven't commented on I don't really know enough about them (I've seen Connor Coles twice, once in a MDL match at Sheffield and last year when he rode at number one for Plymouth and I'm not going to judge him on that!!).

Obviously, opinions will be split, which is what it's all about. Interestingly, you haven't put Rob Shuttleworth on your list. I only say that because his name was mentioned at Brough Park by more than one person, throughout last season.

Yet in the fours he beat Dimitri Berge and Jonas b Andersen and outscored Garcia, Wilkinson, and Jake Allen in the individual on the sunday.

• Like 1