British Speedway Forum
balderdash&piffle

Berwick 2017 50th Year

D Bellego TJ Liam Kev Lasse Berre Tom Perry and a 2 pointer 39.29 I think personally i think they should have left at 42.5

I think if it had been left at 42.5 the likes of Berwick and Workington might have not made it to the tapes in 2017, also means the power is now back in the hands of the promoters unlike previous seasons when there wasn't really enough available riders.

1 Harris

2 Carr

3 Doolan

4 Gappmaier

5 Jorgensen

6 Perry

7 2 pointer

Most promoters are saying that new number 7's are coming in on a 2 now so I presume they are correct although Speedway GB tweeted differently.

Does Gappmaier get an average reduction also since he was below 5?

I think if it had been left at 42.5 the likes of Berwick and Workington might have not made it to the tapes in 2017, also means the power is now back in the hands of the promoters unlike previous seasons when there wasn't really enough available riders.

Surely the power was always with the promoters some would pay more for a big hitting number 1 some would not got to balance the books remains to be seen if the racing is as good.Hopefully we are still going to see the likes of Cookie and Danny King etc,think i seen somewhere Simon Stead has retired.

For years now we've been saying the best way to get better racing is to whack a few yards off the football pitch at the corners.Surely now that Berwick Rangers get one or two players sent off each game this would be the ideal time to do that.Better racing for the speedway and a smaller pitch for the nine or ten players left to run about on so they won't get too tired.Seems a win-win situation to me.

• Like 8

For years now we've been saying the best way to get better racing is to whack a few yards off the football pitch at the corners.Surely now that Berwick Rangers get one or two players sent off each game this would be the ideal time to do that.Better racing for the speedway and a smaller pitch for the nine or ten players left to run about on so they won't get too tired.Seems a win-win situation to me.

When you look at the pitch it looks as though you could pinch a few yards without affecting to size of the actual pitch but we all know it won't happen

I believe that the new promotion will be looking for another form of assistance from Berwick Rangers, altering their much prized pitch to improve the speedway is a non starter of an idea.

• Like 1

The taking in of the football pitch argument has been done to death IMO, it just isn't going to happen, yes you probably could lose a yard or two around the corners but that would be turning the corners virtually square and wont improve the racing. Anyway I think the poorer racing we have now on a consistent bases is more down to the bikes than the track.

• Like 1

When the Bandits came back to Shielfield they shortened the width of the pitch by 2 meters to enable the meter gap between the wall and fence so I don't think it will be made any smaller just have to live with what we've got

The taking in of the football pitch argument has been done to death IMO, it just isn't going to happen, yes you probably could lose a yard or two around the corners but that would be turning the corners virtually square and wont improve the racing. Anyway I think the poorer racing we have now on a consistent bases is more down to the bikes than the track.

Aye. It's a short as it's allowed ; 100yd (100 to 130 yards). It could be narrower (at 70yard, min is 50) - but that would increase the gap between the spectators and the pitch, which personally I think is already too wide for football already.

Fit a retractable surface along with the retractable roof ; that's the answer.

Edited by WestWallPoma

With the amount of money being spent and in the planning I don't think the move to a new stadium will happen

No the minimum he can go is 5

Thanks for that. I was at the races on Saturday on the beer but I thought Scott said something on the radio about getting point's back with 2 point reserves and getting point's back with 5 point riders not going lower than 4.

As I say I had been on the beer :drink::cheers: