British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Swindon - Select, Followed By Bob Kilby Memorial Trophy 15. 9. 16

And money back on the hubbly bubbly empties, you went home better off after climbing in! Fond memories of 60s 70s Saturday night's at The Abbey, when it was always sunny, gates of 4-10000. When local lads rode their hearts out for Swindon St.George God and the Queen...hurrah!

Why would anyone queue for a bloody orrible burger.

Not surprised only 400 turned up charging full whack!Hopefully 4000 will turn up for the opener at the new Rosco Arena.

Doris never paid to get in always over the wall or in with a free pass ashamed to be honest.My mum used to say how could you afford all those programmes and photos and i just said they were going cheap. I always had pocket money so i phobed her off in a way the money i had i always spent it at the Abbey anyway great days. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

A "select" side using rider replacement!

A reward for the hard season he had appearing in nearly every meeting in both main leagues!!

You normally get a good meeting when the racing is close, there is a reasonable amount of overtaking and the result is unpredictable with the bonus of a last heat decider. I enjoyed it as I did the NL meeting last week as the above happened, you do not need GP superstars half a lap ahead to have a good meeting.

I will accept and surprised there was not a small price reduction.

The numbers were down on last week, I would say about 400.

Normally with a fine evening's weather you'd expect a decent attendance but the poor crowd bears out my point that it was a meanlingless event and if it was intended as a warm up for the Lakeside meeting then it was a dismal failure given Friday's poor result.

To be honest, it was an awful meeting and for it to include the Bob Kilby trophy and be ran in the way that it was was a travesty to the man himself.

The club should decide what it wants to do with the trophy and either start or finish the season with it.

So was this event the real farewell to the abbey, if it was, what a low key way to go out. No doubt if the 'new stadium' isn't ready for the start of the 2017 season, el tel can stage yet another farewell meeting next year.

So was this event the real farewell to the abbey, if it was, what a low key way to go out. No doubt if the 'new stadium' isn't ready for the start of the 2017 season, el tel can stage yet another farewell meeting next year.

We had a very good farewell meeting last year and for me there is no reason why we should have another just because the stadium wasn't started this year.

• Like 2