British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ace no.5

Lakeside Vs Belle Vue, 21/9/16...

As for who was available and prepared to come - only Mr. J Cook knows the answers.

He told the fans after heat 4 of the Swindon meeting that he had plans to cover AJ depending on the opposition in the semi finals, and all would be revealed the following Monday. Subsequently, a mystery Polish rider had been spoken to ... but this was shelved because AJ had made a rapid recovery and could well be available for the 2nd leg at Belle Vue. Apparently, if the mystery Polish rider rode in the first leg we would have hd to ride him in the second leg!

You couldn't make it up ... but Mr Cook can .. and he has.I meant to type after heat 14 not 4 !

I don't know about couldn't make it up but you have done a pretty good job of twisting the facts by throwing in some half truths and exaggerations as usual.

I don't know about couldn't make it up but you have done a pretty good job of twisting the facts by throwing in some half truths and exaggerations as usual.

"Oh, the sheer irony of it all!"

Hope there's no stones in your glass house.

Could someone who was there confirm from a programme who came last in heat 1 please?

Steve Worrall

• Like 1

Weren't you at the wrong meeting? Shouldn't you have been at Poole? :o:P

The sky coverage meant I was able to give the correct answer. :t:

Could someone who was there confirm from a programme who came last in heat 1 please?

I was there and as Stevebrum says it was Steve Worrall

• Like 2

Don't think there was much twisting going on. Jon said that they were exploring several options, including this mystery polish rider who would really make us serious contenders.

That was certainly my perception. However, with the supposed AJ situation that changed.

If that was the first time we have been told something, only for it to fail to materialise, then that is perfectly understandable.

But it's not, we've been told of various plans over the last several years and none have come to fruition - backup for AJ, Changes will be made etc.

On Monday, at his Heat 14 chat, we have been told that it's all change at Lakeside. Both on and off track. A complete revamp, of personnel and riders, that will take the club forward, plus a new track in 3 or 4 years time, hopefully. So let's wait and see what he delivers this time!!!

Edited by KevtheRev

Don't think there was much twisting going on. Jon said that they were exploring several options, including this mystery polish rider who would really make us serious contenders.

That was certainly my perception. However, with the supposed AJ situation that changed.

If that was the first time we have been told something, only for it to fail to materialise, then that is perfectly understandable.

But it's not, we've been told of various plans over the last several years and none have come to fruition - backup for AJ, Changes will be made etc.

On Monday, at his Heat 14 chat, we have been told that it's all change at Lakeside. Both on and off track. A complete revamp, of personnel and riders, that will take the club forward, plus a new track in 3 or 4 years time, hopefully. So let's wait and see what he delivers this time!!!

Its not in dispute that Jon Cook has said several things over the years that have not come to fruition, and some of those things would have been better left unsaid. However , I don't think its in dispute either that Old Bob at Herne Bay is always over-egging the pudding when it comes to jumping in with his attempts at sarcasm. That's why among a lot of Lakeside fans he is known as Old Knob at Herne Bay .

The point is that when you go round criticising others you need to be accurate yourself. As Bryn has already pointed out nothing was said about AJ making a "rapid" recovery. That was something O.B. made up himself. Criticism is fine but it needs to be fair.

I think what people are choosing to ignore is that yesterday was effectively AJ's home GP and he would have all his sponsors there and would naturally want to put on a good show for them especially with next year in mind, so of course he would be moving heaven and earth to try to get fit, but as we now know he didn't make it . Nothing was ever said by Cook or anyone else about a rapid recovery though..

I agree he said something about a complete revamp though, but I wouldn't stake my life on it happening, and if it did I am not sure it would necessarily be for the better. Hope it doesn't mean Paul Hurry coming in as team manager after last Wednesdays shambles. Kelvin needs to stay IMO.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1