British Speedway Forum

"Better than Rye House," are you just trying to stir up trouble?

I like the Rye team. Probably unbeatable at home on their tricky little track as long as Watt & Robbo are up for it. Away from home though is a different matter as none of them are gaters or particularly fast.

Is that Bacon lad a 2 pointer? If so I would sign him. Looked alright at the ELRC considering the huge difference in class.

Agreed. I think he rode in the NL match at the end of season for Coventry. Looked good and was only one of two that troubled Ayres that particular evening.

Agreed. I think he rode in the NL match at the end of season for Coventry. Looked good and was only one of two that troubled Ayres that particular evening.

He did, I have not got any individual race scores but he scored 12 points

Doyle morris Ellis are all good signings imo. Not convinced on bellego on that average. Reckon you need to go for a 3rd hl, and then best you can pick up on 2/3 point averages at reserve. Other than Klindt -who will surely be at wolves/poole, just can't see value in going with a couple of 5 pointers.

But I font understand the doom and gloom, I'd be more than happy with 3 of those signings.

I know he's rumoured to join Coventry but if Kings Lynn are not going to use Lewis Kerr he maybe an option for Swindon? 5.9 average will leave about 6 for your reserves. Doyle, Morris, Ellis, Bellego and Kerr won't be a bad top 5 at all.

Working on the basis that Stefan Nielsen will feature in the team its leaves very little left for reserves. Sarjeant or Ayres & a 2 pointer maybe?

Will be interesting to see if any teams build with a stronger reserve pairing to capitalise on some of the long tails?

Working on the basis that Stefan Nielsen will feature in the team its leaves very little left for reserves. Sarjeant or Ayres & a 2 pointer maybe?

Will be interesting to see if any teams build with a stronger reserve pairing to capitalise on some of the long tails?

Nielsen has already been ruled out by Rosco.

Sorry to be a doom & gloom merchant but I look at the team and see bottom 2 material.

Doyle - Obviously gonna be hammering the points in home & away.

Bellego - Inexperienced in the top flight.

Ellis - Spent most of last year in the number 2 position - not a heat leader.

Morris - Inconsistent last year at best, really needs to hammer the points in this year.

12.15 pts left to play - and the likely inclusion of Simon Nielson (who is 2-3pt rider at best) it doesn't appear to have a line up that fills me with confidence.

I hope that I am completely wrong and the signings made work out well and I shall support whole heartedly all season but I am not confident of booking any tickets for the playoffs this year ....

• Like 1

I don't understand all the doom and gloom. Having honoured the deal done with Doyley, the team was always going to be weak further down. I am not expecting Swindon to finish the season with the starting 1-7 so I would expect Rosco to have some contingencies in place (granted this isn't fair on the lesser lights but at least they will get some experience) and I would much rather have Doyley in the team. As said by others, I would have also gone for Noddy Holder to give the strongest top 2 in the league but that really would give a very long tail.

Not expecting much in the first month or so but will strengthen and then we should start to climb the table. However, if we do finish the season with our starting 1-7 we will most definitely be screwed.

While I accept that Doyle's average is incredibly high, I'm not sure it is a bigger handicap to Swindon as being made out, providing of course he recovers from his injuries and rides like he has been riding last season. Of course he can only reach a maximum of a 12 point average, but don't forget he will always barring injury have 5 rides, and averages assume a rider having only 4 rides. So his effective weighted average will be higher. If he were to go through the season unbeaten, very unlikely I know,whilst his average would drop to 12, he would be scoring 15 sometimes 18 points per meeting, and its the points per meeting that really count.

It is like having a 6 point and a 2 point reserve, who ride to their averages. By giving the 6 point reserve 5 rides he will actually score you 7.5 points per meeting on average, and the 2 point rider only have 3 rides, will score on average 1.5 points per meeting, so you can gain an extra point per meeting.It is why Ford always goes with a strong top 2, because they always have 5 rides per meeting.

• Like 1

Ellis - Spent most of last year in the number 2 position - not a heat leader.

Just check the Poole stats. Adam was second in their home averages at 7.73, beating Hans Andersen, & even at number 2 there are hard races.

He just needs to get that at Blunsdon & improve on his away 4.95.

• Like 1

While I accept that Doyle's average is incredibly high, I'm not sure it is a bigger handicap to Swindon as being made out, providing of course he recovers from his injuries and rides like he has been riding last season. Of course he can only reach a maximum of a 12 point average, but don't forget he will always barring injury have 5 rides, and averages assume a rider having only 4 rides. So his effective weighted average will be higher. If he were to go through the season unbeaten, very unlikely I know,whilst his average would drop to 12, he would be scoring 15 sometimes 18 points per meeting, and its the points per meeting that really count.

It is like having a 6 point and a 2 point reserve, who ride to their averages. By giving the 6 point reserve 5 rides he will actually score you 7.5 points per meeting on average, and the 2 point rider only have 3 rides, will score on average 1.5 points per meeting, so you can gain an extra point per meeting.It is why Ford always goes with a strong top 2, because they always have 5 rides per meeting.

All very true however it becomes a huge reliance on a few riders. Yes a 6 point reserve is handy to cover one of the other reserve rides plus a 1-5 member if they are having a stinker but what if that reserve is having a shocker or has to withdraw through injury? Its then all on the 2 point reserve whos confidence is probably shot due to only getting 3 rides a match.

Same with Doyley, whilst most weeks he will score a hatful on those days when it doesn't happen its a lot of points for the others to make up.

All very true however it becomes a huge reliance on a few riders. Yes a 6 point reserve is handy to cover one of the other reserve rides plus a 1-5 member if they are having a stinker but what if that reserve is having a shocker or has to withdraw through injury? Its then all on the 2 point reserve whos confidence is probably shot due to only getting 3 rides a match.

Same with Doyley, whilst most weeks he will score a hatful on those days when it doesn't happen its a lot of points for the others to make up.

Agree, but surely Doyle is where is in the world rankings because he is consistent? How many occasions will that happen? There is not much to challenge Doyle on a head to head basis. Given his ability and the current crop of EL riders, he is very unlikely to score 8 or 9 points a meeting from 5 rides. That's not to say it wont happen, but there's more chance of Tottenham winning the Champions League.

On the basis that Doyle wins 4 out of 5 every week, both home and away, we won't need too many wins from the other riders to start making a difference. If Doyle scores 13 every week, the worst we are going to get is 23 (if my maths is right) and that's where we get tubbed 5-1 in the remaining 10 and the Swindon rider finishes last in each Doyle heat. So for every point they gain is a point less for the opposition. Let's be fair we are not up against The Coventry team of 2007 and most of the teams that have declared a rider are ok but I am not getting too excited e.g. by Poole's line up.

Doyle's achilles heel is his ability to team ride. Several times last year Swindon threw points away because Doyle became impatient with Sedgmen or Wright and cleared off in to the distance. Don't get me wrong, Doyle is THE stand out rider and we have him. he is a selfish rider but that is not meant as a criticism. he wants to win and I get that. If he learns to help the guy at number two and learns to team ride like Leigh Adams covering the inside, whoever is at two, will start to ride to their potential and we can do better than people think.

It's up to Doyle to exhibit that side of him and make it happen, which as captain, and top rider that he is, should be part of his armoury anyway.

• Like 1

It must be incredibly boring having a heat leader that you're expecting 12pts from every meeting! Might as well just give him the points in advance if that's the case and do away with the formality of him turning up! The only decent racing this season looks like it's going to come from the second strings and the reserves!

On the cheap....with arguably the best rider in the World in 2016?

A 22 year old asset who's shown commitment to the Club and who averaged on par with Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris in 2016 whilst riding the season as a heatleader.....yet both Bomber and Scott are deemed great signings on bargain averages!

Unsure where the Lykke link comes from although have seen it on here a few times.....it's certainly not what I've heard.

Commitment? Did he not ask for a move at one point? I would suggest we've been loyal to him over the years so this flannel Alun has come out with commitment doesn't wash with me , so what do you think we can come up with with 12.15 remaining or are you prepared to name who you have heard because I seriously hope it isn't Lykke!

I know he's rumoured to join Coventry but if Kings Lynn are not going to use Lewis Kerr he maybe an option for Swindon? 5.9 average will leave about 6 for your reserves. Doyle, Morris, Ellis, Bellego and Kerr won't be a bad top 5 at all.

No not bad, truly shocking!

I see the usual suspects are all wetting their pants again. :) What or who did you expect?

Nick didn't have a great season last year, sure. But of the 4 we've signed I'd say he is the most likely to keep to the starting average he has been signed on.

This is Premier League with a 50 point limit. I saw second tier teams 10 years ago that were stronger than this year's top flight.

We have the rider who was best in the World last year. Plus a 9 point PL rider in Nick Morris. Sounds about right to me.

Bellago was number one for his club last year. Adam Ellis is maybe over averaged, but still a decent rider to have on board.

OK, we don't look as strong as the touted Poole side - but that's par for the course for everyone every year.

This is a weak league. These riders will do fine. We may pay a price for keeping a top rider in the UK, but good for Rosco for keeping it. I probably wouldn't have bothered to attend any meetings at all if Doyle had been dumped.

No need to be so flippant with your 'wetting your pants' or 'usual suspects' , it is looking a poor looking side that is my opinion yours may differ but no need for the insults from yourself , you generally have differing opinions to myself but I'm not all doom and gloom just saying it like I think it is so why don't we just keep things like that in future? As for one or two others and there opinions I won't count them unless they actually start appearing on a more regular basis just like mugs like I do every week every season ...and btw that's not aimed at CR as he has a very legit reason

No not bad, truly shocking!

Yes, but the problem is that you're doom & gloom with every team that's put forward. The averages & the points limit are what they are so just get over it! It's just speedway, not life & death.