British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

Agree with Spinny, do believe that Josh will come to the fore next year, although he wants away from Sheffield (his words not mine), but even now without naming the last two we have strength in depth. Do believe Rob Branford will be at 6 and he will get the way of riding Owlerton, even if he's not the best JPB will do the honours there and Rob will give us a leg up at a lot of the more 'technical' away tracks. If it is him he'll be a good acquisition for next year.

Sheffield have the best team I agree with you.

Ipswich weak at reserve same as Redcar. Only Glasgow could beat Sheffield over 2 legs imo.

Glasgow would appear to have a very strong top 3. They will do well at Glasgow, but dependant on the full team can't see them being so strong away from Ashfield. (not seen the full team yet so I reserve my opinion, respecfully.)

If its Branford for the senior reserve position then I believe that we have the best all round rider in that position in the league.

Just need a solid second string to fill in the final position.

Personally feel BWD will be stronger at reserve

With a 5 point average, not many teams will fit BWD in at reserve I would imagine

the pussycats can/will....
  • Like 1

Having looked back through all the individual scores from the last 2 seasons it shows up that for some reason Josh Bates scores better when Steady isn't in the team, could Josh have been trying too hard to emulate Simon and putting himself under pressure to do so?. When Steady is out of the line up (through injury and now retirement) Josh seems to "step up" and put in the better scores. Josh has had Steady in his corner for the 2015 Under 19 championship and the 2016 Under 21 championship (look at his performances in both of those). This should be the season where he kicks on and becomes a solid second string/heat leader

With a 5 point average, not many teams will fit BWD in at reserve I would imagine

Panthers

Not concerned, just wish the last 2 were announced!

With most teams having now declared, the pool of riders left is getting smaller. Could it be the riders Sheffield have targeted for positions 5 and 6 are playing hard to get and are part of a bidding war between Sheffield, Glasgow, Peterborough and Edinburgh?

Some people on this forum were saying a couple of weeks ago that there's plenty of time: 'four months to go before the start of the season' and all that rubbish. Are they still saying the same thing? I'm beginning to think we may not get the riders we'd all hoped for.

With most teams having now declared, the pool of riders left is getting smaller. Could it be the riders Sheffield have targeted for positions 5 and 6 are playing hard to get and are part of a bidding war between Sheffield, Glasgow, Peterborough and Edinburgh?

Some people on this forum were saying a couple of weeks ago that there's plenty of time: 'four months to go before the start of the season' and all that rubbish. Are they still saying the same thing? I'm beginning to think we may not get the riders we'd all hoped for.

No, everyone already knows who Glasgow and Peterborough are signing.

Yes, Speedway Star confirms the team will be announced next week.
  • Like 2

Sheffield have the best team I agree with you.

Ipswich weak at reserve same as Redcar. Only Glasgow could beat Sheffield over 2 legs imo.

Nope we are not weak at reserve. Hume will average over 4 easily in this league against riders he beats regularly. Mountain more of a gamble but has the potential to do the same.

Nope we are not weak at reserve. Hume will average over 4 easily in this league against riders he beats regularly. Mountain more of a gamble but has the potential to do the same.

People forget Hume averaged i think 7.33 in the NL? an average that he upped from 3.59.? Also he did all of that in the top 5 a real achievement when you think that two other prospects Parkinson Blackburn and Smith were at reserve. Edited by Sidney the robin

Having looked back through all the individual scores from the last 2 seasons it shows up that for some reason Josh Bates scores better when Steady isn't in the team, could Josh have been trying too hard to emulate Simon and putting himself under pressure to do so?. When Steady is out of the line up (through injury and now retirement) Josh seems to "step up" and put in the better scores. Josh has had Steady in his corner for the 2015 Under 19 championship and the 2016 Under 21 championship (look at his performances in both of those). This should be the season where he kicks on and becomes a solid second string/heat leader

Agree, Josh was a miles better rider when Steady was trackside with him. Did it for him at the end of 2015, and last season when he was out injured he helped Josh, he started to score better again.

Think with Steady as TM, he could again bring the best out in Josh. When he doesn't over ride he's as quick as anyone around Owlerton.

Looking forward to finding out the last 2 tomorrow morning. Think they will of been sorted a while but most clubs like to keep the fans interacting with them by releasing signings slowly. I personally think its a good idea as it keeps the off season interesting and also gives us lot plenty to talk about each week!