British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Little Thumper

Buxton Hitmen V Birmingham Brummies - Nl - 2/10/16

More like 3 guests and Rider Replacement. It's back to 2007 all over again.

The Brummies actually only used 1 guest and R/R, choosing to promote two 3.00 riders instead for the others, but why were Ritchins and Smith missing? Are they injured?

The Brummies actually only used 1 guest and R/R, choosing to promote two 3.00 riders instead for the others, but why were Ritchins and Smith missing? Are they injured?

Joe Lawlor is a Belle Vue MDL rider. Stephen Whitehouse is a Kings Lynn MDL rider. That makes them look like "guests" to me. Whatever happened to Emerson Jones who was signed as a "squad rider / #8" at the start of the season?

Joe Lawlor is a Belle Vue MDL rider. Stephen Whitehouse is a Kings Lynn MDL rider. That makes them look like "guests" to me. Whatever happened to Emerson Jones who was signed as a "squad rider / #8" at the start of the season?

A guest is a member of another NL team's 1-7.

Instead of using 2 more guests, Birmingham chose to give track time to two 3.00 MDL riders.

This I already know. My question was what happened to Ritchens and Smith? Are they injured?

Edited by John Leslie

Well' just got back from the meeting at Buxton.

What a stunning victory.......for the Brummies.

In fact a more honest description would be a massacre, a 61-29 type of massacre.

Buxton didn't have much of a team to start with and then Ryan Blacklock was trying too hard in his first ride, fell off, did his hand in and that was him done for the day.

The two top scorers for Buxton were Shelby Rutherford and Lee Geary with 8+1.

Lee Geary seemed to be out in most of the heats and rode steadily all day.

Shelby Rutherford is an oddity. In his first race his enthusiasm got the better of him and he fell in a big heap. In heat 15, he rode like a man possessed and I honestly thought he was going to win it but had to settle for second in the end. If the boy could get some consistency, he would be a seriously good rider.

The best Buxton performance of the day came from Jade Mudgway. No, he wasn't riding....he was the flag marshal on turn 3!

In all honesty, the gulf between Birmingham and Buxton is huge. Birmingham are a team who are crammed with talent and their enthusiasm for their racing is clear to see. The team are a credit to the colours they wear and to speedway racing in general. To be honest they are probably too good for the National League.

The Brummies fans turned up in decent numbers and it was great to see them all sporting their Birmingham regalia and cheering loudly for their great team. Birmingham fans, I salute you!

So last week's victory over the Rinsers is now looking a bit wobbly and it is probably best not to scrutinize it too closely.

So where do Buxton go from here? Obviously, they cannot carry on along this path for too much longer.

The Buxton fans may be limited in quantity but they seem a pretty loyal bunch.

But you can only support a team if there is a credible team to support.

Today's offering fell somewhat short of the mark.

:unsure:

P.S. The most annoying thing was that they forgot to draw the bloody raffle!

The bod in the tin box kept saying they were going to do it but they hadn't done it by the end of heat 15!

:mad:

Edited by Little Thumper

Found the answers. Ritchins and Smith both taken ill with Flu and stomach bugs today. The two 3.00 riders had to be drafted in at the last minute.

Emerson Jones rang Graham Drury on press and practice day to say that he had changed his mind about racing and had decided not to bother! A relative of his whom I know slightly, says that his parents spent a small fortune on buying him new equipment and weren't too pleased about this!

• Like 1

Emerson Jones rang Graham Drury on press and practice day to say that he had changed his mind about racing and had decided not to bother! A relative of his whom I know slightly, says that his parents spent a small fortune on buying him new equipment and weren't too pleased about this!

This is the second time he has done that . did it with Stoke 2 years ago . still wouldn't stop somebody giving him a third team place to throw away though ,

• Like 1

P.S. The most annoying thing was that they forgot to draw the bloody raffle!

The bod in the tin box kept saying they were going to do it but they hadn't done it by the end of heat 15!

:mad:

The raffle number was 7308 and was claimed by Norman a long time Buxton/Belle Vue supporter.

The review of the meeting has now appeared on the website and you really have to feel for Jason Pipe and the good people at Buxton.

All credit to Jason for telling it like it is and how they keep going in the face of all this adversity, heaven knows!

Jason freely admits that if Birmingham had been at full strength then it would have been even more horrendous for the plucky Hitmen.

Apparently, David Wallinger has decided to call it a day which is a shame but quite understandable when you consider the physical and financial pain that NL riders are expected to endure.

His name is added to a fairly lengthy list of riders who have come and gone at Buxton in 2016.

I really hope that Buxton can come up with a cunning plan to enter into a competitive 2017 season but I think it will take a far greater intellect than mine to detect what this strategy might be.

Keep the Faith, Buxton!

:t:

p.s. congratulations to Norman on winning the raffle.

Edited by Little Thumper

Not just the team they have had bad luck with. The weather and all the rain offs has not helped.

Oh not that I've already read that , I thought there was somewhere where he had posted the truth , rather than a load of spin that alistair campbell would be proud of

Adonis, my friend, I am sorry that we have disappointed you!

Clearly, Jason Pipe isn't going to spill the beans on how Buxton have come to be in the position in which they now found themselves.

But you don't have to be the Brain of Britain to realize that trying to run any kind of speedway team on a very small budget is going to be immensely challenging.

All you can hope is that you take on a couple or three riders who drastically outperform expectations and you hover about in the middle regions of the league table. This moderate success brings in a few more punters and you can perhaps then spend a few quid on more riders.

Clearly, if your gamble doesn't pay off, the riders that you have dug up don't perform, other riders get injured or give it up as a bad job, then you will end up propping up the table and reliant on amazing good luck or benevolent rivals to score any points at all.

What is more important is where you go from here. Obviously, a team cannot keep adopting this strategy because the supporters will disappear.

Adonis, I don't know the answer but I hope somebody does.

And while Jason Pipe might be a bit of a spin doctor, I don't think he is in the same league as Yogi Blair and Soupy Campbell!

:t:

Whilst there are obvious some stumbling blocks surrounding the signing of riders to Buxton (Location, facilities, finances etc) they are in essence a NL team and there are riders up and down the country looking / hoping for team places.

I have no doubt it is possible to build a solid mid table team at Buxton and not that many years ago they were league winners.

What has and will continue to hurt the club is the constant chopping & changing of riders, the old mates of Pipe's being signed and so on.

If finances are tight then a look at local talent and keeping them happy has to be they way forward and is what has worked for the club in the past but the number of retired or want away riders this season has to cast huge clouds over future years...

• Like 2

Some riders need a while to settle in to become a team rider it would be better if they brought in some new blood at least at reserve and give them a full season to develope and if they have not came on enough let them go unless they are well of NL pace and if they do ok give them a second year rather than a few meetings and your not scoring any points then chuck them to the side knocking them back down pretty sure if a rider tries his heart out the fans would be fine with it and once they get a few points they will have a bit more confidence and with that they will get better buxton is a cracking setup just needs a bit of luck there's always next year

• Like 2