British Speedway Forum
Ace no.5

Wolves Vs Belle Vue, Grand Final 1st Leg, 3/10/16...

The track was reshaped due to changes in the greyhound track, nothing to with with lighting.

The changes actually made the track easier to ride, there was far more of a home advantage prior to that.

The track was reshaped due to changes in the greyhound track, nothing to with with lighting.

The changes actually made the track easier to ride, there was far more of a home advantage prior to that.

Bwitcher, do you know track dimensions before/after alterations, lengths/widths....?

Bwitcher, do you know track dimensions before/after alterations, lengths/widths....?

I could find out the lengths easy enough from old programmes, but I won't know about the widths. I'll have a look later if nobody else has answered the question sooner.

It was definitely harder to ride before the changes, the straights were longer and the bends tighter as a result. There were a number of riders who really struggled there prior who suddenly were able to get round the place ok.

All that makes it trickier now is the modern bikes and the silencers used, you require throttle control when there is a bit of grip on the track. When it slickens off its very easy to blast round as Steve Worrall was showing the other night.

I could find out the lengths easy enough from old programmes, but I won't know about the widths. I'll have a look later if nobody else has answered the question sooner.

It was definitely harder to ride before the changes, the straights were longer and the bends tighter as a result. There were a number of riders who really struggled there prior who suddenly were able to get round the place ok.

All that makes it trickier now is the modern bikes and the silencers used, you require throttle control when there is a bit of grip on the track. When it slickens off its very easy to blast round as Steve Worrall was showing the other night.

I can't lay my hands on an old Wolves prog at the moment either...!

Never around when you really need one!

Track lengths per Homes Of British Speedway;

329 yards 1928-1981

312 yards 1984-1985

306 yards 1986-1996

288 yards 1997-2006

• Like 1

Wasn't Monmore Green shortened in the mid 90's? Didn't they bring the fence in around a metre, and the kerb in around a metre... I'm sure it was, and the reason/s were to do with the lighting pylons being to close the the track? Cheaper to do that, than relocate all the floodlights pylons.....?

I'm sure that prior to the alterations Monmore Green was a better, fairer race circuit..

Can someone clarify please?

Is there anywhere on the interweb, where there's to scale, simple kerb and fence lined diagrams of all Elite/Premier tracks from above, and the other NL league tracks that are stand alone tracks (not shared with EL/PL) and possibly the non-league tracks??

1996 for a Wolves fans was unreal as we won the double. When we got to the cup final Monmore Green was unavailable due to the changes being made to the greyhound track. So we had to choose a neutral venue. Most fans thought we would choose Kirky lane, but we didn't ! We chose Long Eaton and won the cup on aggregate after effectively having two away legs !

1996 for a Wolves fans was unreal as we won the double. When we got to the cup final Monmore Green was unavailable due to the changes being made to the greyhound track. So we had to choose a neutral venue. Most fans thought we would choose Kirky lane, but we didn't ! We chose Long Eaton and won the cup on aggregate after effectively having two away legs !

What a crowd that night at Long Eaton too, packed with Wolves, Peterborough and Long Eaton fans out for the occasion... who can forget Stewart McDonald riding through the pain barrier..

"Stewart McDonald had a bike ee ai ee ai o..."

Wasn't Monmore Green shortened in the mid 90's? Didn't they bring the fence in around a metre, and the kerb in around a metre... I'm sure it was, and the reason/s were to do with the lighting pylons being to close the the track? Cheaper to do that, than relocate all the floodlights pylons.....?

I'm sure that prior to the alterations Monmore Green was a better, fairer race circuit..

Can someone clarify please?

Is there anywhere on the interweb, where there's to scale, simple kerb and fence lined diagrams of all Elite/Premier tracks from above, and the other NL league tracks that are stand alone tracks (not shared with EL/PL) and possibly the non-league tracks??

Can remember going there in the 70s/80s and i enjoyed the racing the track was alot different then now along with Lakeside cant stand the place.