British Speedway Forum

Er how about precedent. It is a tried and tested tactic which Poole have used before.

Call the first witness, call Mr Miedzinski.

Miedzinski was signed knowing we wouldn't have him for the whole season, everyone knew it, it was not Poole's decision to let him go but we knew he would improve his average massively so not a gamble but he wasn't dumped by Poole for a better rider because it was not Poole's choice.

According to Pooles website Newmans average has gone from 7.19 in 2014 to 7.09 in 2015 and then below 7 last year all from reserve. I'm sure somehow you will twist those figures but to me that doesn't show any improvement. As I've said Kyle on that average is a no brainer and he gives 100% every time

we are constantly told that Matt Ford will always pick a team to win and isn't worried about dropping ridets. Miedzinski, Howarth and recently Ellis and Holder all dropped as it suits. Make no mistake if riders like Newman , Kurtz or Jack Holder have averages to high next season then Ford will have no hesitation letting them go

Can't see that happening too much next season with the rider averages dropping and the team limit dropping to 42, there will be very few options available and it would have to be on a like for like basis. So if for instance KIindt gets to a 7 point average who do you get in on that average? Matt Ford has already said the reasons for choosing Brady over Kacper is financial and the whole reason for these changes is cost cutting so even if he achieved above Gomolski's average would it be a viable change considering the extra costs involved. I know everyone thinks Matt Ford operates cheque book speedway but it isn't a bottomless pit.

• Like 2

Is that a bad thing though? Is there room for loyalty within sport? Competition by it's very nature is about using the skills and tools you have available to you to defeat the other competitors. Surely the balance between ruthlessness and loyalty should be that which yields the very best competitive results? And in that case I would argue that Matt would appear to have mastered that balance throughout the past decade?

no it's not a bad thing as Poole always do well. It's just the hypocrisy from some Poole fans here. The ones who believe Matt Ford changes his teams and riders to get success is the right thing but then in the next breath say how Newman, Kurtz and Holder will be at the club for years! They won't if they don't fit
  • Like 1

no it's not a bad thing as Poole always do well. It's just the hypocrisy from some Poole fans here. The ones who believe Matt Ford changes his teams and riders to get success is the right thing but then in the next breath say how Newman, Kurtz and Holder will be at the club for years! They won't if they don't fit

Just ignore them. No point flogging a dead horse!

Bit like Chris Louis at Ipswich then, 5 of 2016 starting line up binned for 2017, and THREE of them BRITISH RIDERS too!!! No loyalty from Louis there!!

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that Matt show's no loyalty. Bjarne Pedersen spent 10 years at Poole and many other riders have spent significant time within the team. I think riders who have given the most to the team generally get shown a little more loyalty, but when push comes to shove the averages need to fit.

• Like 1

Bit like Chris Louis at Ipswich then, 5 of 2016 starting line up binned for 2017, and THREE of them BRITISH RIDERS too!!! No loyalty from Louis there!!

where have I said clubs should be loyal??? Oh and we replaced the British Sarjeant with the British Newman and replaced the British Jacobs with the British Mountain. Barker for Schlein the only non British change. Loyalty is not there in speedway anymore and no matter what any Poole fan thinks Matt Ford will dispose of anyone. How poor for a British ridrr to massively improve to them be moved on for a foreign rider. Bet Ellis wishes he hadn't bothered! Also to just move on a club legend like Holder is a bit poor as well. I suppose Ipswich letting a brit who rode half a season leave is similar!! And you did say Ipswich starting line up you know the one where we replaced Castagna with a Brit?? We started last season with 4 Brits. King , Sarjeant , Kerr and Ritchings. We start this season with 4 Brits King, Newman , Hume and Mountain so your argument is kind of flawed Edited by Gavan

Everyone keeps on going on about Kurtz and Holder. Just remember that Holder came 4th to Lambert in a run off and Kurtz is aussie champion for a reason and scored 18 points at swindon for example. I think they will both be fine. Kurtz also has a very similar average to Ward in his first year. Darcy Ward is a once in 2 decade rider. Dudek is the only rider in the world who has the same crazy style in life and on a speedway bike.

Really pleased with the Poole team for 2017. Great number one backed up by Hans, a solid middle order and second strings, plus what should be a good scoring reserve who will more than likely always get five rides. What's not to like?

And if Shanes chips in with a point or two we have every chance of success in 2017.

Shanes may well find the going tough and have a season like Lee Richardson did for us all those seasons ago. But the pressure on him will be whathe puts on himself.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

Loyalty is not there in speedway anymore and no matter what any Poole fan thinks Matt Ford will dispose of anyone.

I agree to some extent however some clubs do so show loyalty and likewise. Wolves for example have both Lindgren and Thorssell as one club only riders whilst also Woffy signed for Wolves at 16 and have nurtured him in the UK with Wolves his only EL club.

Some may say that Wolves loyalty to riders has cost them more titles and to an extent that may well be true.

We seem to have a Kyle Newman debate every season.

His average over the past 2 or 3 seasons hasn't greatly increased so it's hard for some to see any noticeable improvement.

He clearly has got better to the extent that he is capable of beating top class riders.

It's difficult to measure that against his static and slightly backwards average trend.

He is a bit of a slow burner and maybe there is more to come. Time will tell. Whether he has a real break thru season or not is open to debate, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Fact is he has mostly been a reserve for example seasons with Poole.

He will really have to step his game up to make minimal improvement without easy rides at least to start with anyway.

Kyle is a great honest British rider, I like him.

Not every British rider can be a Woffy or a Lambert.

• Like 3

Thing is if Kyle was at a different club like Leicester, he'd prob be a heat leader. Poole tend to get a solid top 5 in.

Give Newman an injury free season, & I can see him improving. The margins between success & failure in speedway are tight. Jason Doyle didn't look like the best rider in the world a few seasons back, so riders improve at different speeds.

• Like 1

Give Newman an injury free season, & I can see him improving. The margins between success & failure in speedway are tight. Jason Doyle didn't look like the best rider in the world a few seasons back, so riders improve at different speeds.

Agree I've said similar when people have questioned having Brady.

Both if they gate is Klindt a fighter can he pass? does he take risks ask yourself that "Starman!

He'l be riding a track that you can pass on. He will more than do his job for us.. :t:

We seem to have a Kyle Newman debate every season.

His average over the past 2 or 3 seasons hasn't greatly increased so it's hard for some to see any noticeable improvement.

He clearly has got better to the extent that he is capable of beating top class riders.

It's difficult to measure that against his static and slightly backwards average trend.

He is a bit of a slow burner and maybe there is more to come. Time will tell. Whether he has a real break thru season or not is open to debate, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Fact is he has mostly been a reserve for example seasons with Poole.

He will really have to step his game up to make minimal improvement without easy rides at least to start with anyway.

Kyle is a great honest British rider, I like him.

Not every British rider can be a Woffy or a Lambert.

Again you come out with the same old guff. You've not even factored injury into the equasion. And you watch Kyle every week do you ? Clearly you had your eyes shut at Wolves in the play off's then..

Edited by Starman2006