British Speedway Forum
Col

Belle Vue Vs Wolves, Grand Final 2nd Leg, 5/10/16...

First up, congratulations to Wolves, the better team over the two legs. And all the best to PK, a class act over the years, rode well in both legs too.

Thrilling racing, big crowd, great atmosphere, a gallant effort from the Aces who'd left too much to do from Monday.

No-one present at Belle Vue tonight will forget that meeting in a hurry - what a night!

The aces will win tonight by 14 and be crowned champs.

hahaha

Belle Vue still won the league though. Wolves are simply the play off KOC winners.

wrong.

Wow Woffy calling the fans in the stands 'idiots'. Throughout the season I have lost all respect for Tai, and I was a big Tai fan... until now.

the aces fans equally are a disgrace then.

What does he expect? There isn't many British fans left who support him now. About time he realised this.

and in other news woffy will get huge support in Cardiff in 2017.

Tai Woffinden - two times world champion and British - a great rider and I fully support him. :t:

no one can knock his achievements. Fully agree.

Grow up craig cook.

Find the poor boy a dummy.

Absolutely elated at the result. Well done the boys.

If all speedway was as good as that then we'd have sell out crowds every week. Exactly as it should be. Hard racing, riders stropping, bit of handbags and passing galore.

Loved it!

Congratulations wolves.

Good effort by the aces, excellent meeting and looked like a superb atmosphere.

Pk was the man who stopped aces, obviously Woffys bikes did the trick for him - I had thought s worrall would outscore him at the NSS, but not to be.

Can't fault any of the aces tbh, nicholls a little disappointing but clearly putting the effort in.

Speedway as it should be.

• Like 1

Great meeting,had everything,Just out of interest did anyone else think the league trophy had already been given to Wolves before the second leg as it clearly had Yellow and black ribbons on from the start?!!

Wonder if Tai is setting a new trend for 2017.Teams just turn up with 3 bikes and engines and use the leftover new tyres to race on new edges come the end of the meeting!!

Star of the evening for me was Freddie Lingren-Tonight was hard but fair racing,and the race with craig cook was just class racing when cook left the door open,what to people want in speedway,just shut off and say"after you sir" or use track craft and pass a rider when he has a chance to do so.Thats what makes speedway races like that.

No one who watches live sport worries that they might hear swearing, it comes with the territory. In fact I'd be disappointed if I didn't. Sky are trying to protect themselves from the professionally offended, they just end up sound like dicks.

Totally agree i have heard worst things being said during polish speedway matches(just the other night during junior finals in Gdansk for example) and no one apologized for that i find it strange and insincere that they do that in UK.

He definitely said the f word, but it's not obvious with his accent.

I think you're wrong Lisa, listen again on the youtube link above, he said he "felt like he didn't have any speed" @ 1.05 & 50 seconds.

No big deal but I'm sure his mum will be pleased he kept it clean..

• Like 1

Great meeting,had everything,Just out of interest did anyone else think the league trophy had already been given to Wolves before the second leg as it clearly had Yellow and black ribbons on from the start?!!

Wonder if Tai is setting a new trend for 2017.Teams just turn up with 3 bikes and engines and use the leftover new tyres to race on new edges come the end of the meeting!!

or use trackStar of the evening for me was Freddie Lingren-Tonight was hard but fair racing,and the race with craig cook was just class racing when cook left the door open,what to people want in speedway,just shut off and say"after you sir" craft and pass a rider when he has a chance to do so.Thats what makes speedway races like that.

F Lindgren is IMHO the best rider I have seen round the NSS, however the pass he made on Cookie was OTT, there is loads of room on the NSS track to make fast, clean passes which Freddie often does, but on other occasions he rides to hard, Ask Woffy.

Gavan just clutching at straws as usual.

what straws?? I said that when Poole make changes its totally fine as 'Ford is a promoter who isn't afraid to make changes' yet when Wolves do it its not acceptable to some Poole fans. Pirates of Poole said he wasn't one moaning about Tai so I have no idea what you mean by clutching at straws
  • Like 1

Good crowd in tonight but they need big crowds in the regular season not just the playoffs. At least there should be an atmosphere early on.

All tracks need big crowds through the regular season

No, not an over reaction at all....

Great race meeting, great racing, great viewing, great banter, but you do not go on live TV and call any of the crowd they are "IDIOTS"

I have never ever heard a sports star say on live TV that some of the or any of the crowd are "IDIOTS"

It's just not done....

I challenge anyone to name another instance of this sort of behaviour, in an interview, on live TV, by any other sports person..

Sorry, it's not acceptable.

you have over reacted. Tai said 'some idiots' not called all the fans that. They booed him from the start chanted 'who are ya' at him when he got beat and some were giving him both the 'w' and 'v' signs. In my eyes nothing wrong in having a pantomime villain though some of it went to far. So when Tai won the league he was quite right to give some back and I bet 99% of the Belle Vue fans expected it as well and took it as it was meant. Happens in football all the time with players giving it back to the crowd and did you see Rory in the Ryder Cup. Obviously you don't like a bit of atmosphere at the track.
  • Like 1

Cracking meeting :approve: although a little bit went out of it after heats 10-12 because it was clear we weren't going to get the knife edge finish a lot if us wanted.

Didn't understand the grandstand booing Woffinden. He's the British World Champion for heavens sake and hadn't done anything but turn up. If he referred to 'some idiots' he was probably right and, indeed, had a right to say so. I don't like riders goading the crowd - and he undoubtedly did that - but when that rider has been barracked all night its much harder to be critical.

Those questioning his attitude clearly didn't see his handshake with Steve & Richie Worrall after heat 9 - a race in which he blew a TR that could have cost Wolves dear.

Some of you watching on the box probably had a better view than me but I really didn't think Lindgren did anything wrong and thought that Cook - not for the first time - was just pathetic. Still, a bit of handbags doesn't do any harm.

I like the presenter at NSS - better than that clown they had at the start of the season - but his digs at Wolves 'trick track' and 'second string' Woffinden were unnecessary and possibly counter productive.

Couple of other things : the oft maligned Zagar stepped up to the plate and showed what a world class rider he is, criticism of Jacobs was unwarranted to the extent that there were better targets and Clegg deserves a bucket of praise for that huge effort in heat 12 which finally killed Belle Vue off.

Finest sight, though, was Karlsson. Not quite the master he once was, his battling performance was superb and, in my view, decisive.

Overall, a brilliant advert for the EL, for Belle Vue and for British Speedway :approve:

• Like 4

No, not an over reaction at all....

Great race meeting, great racing, great viewing, great banter, but you do not go on live TV and call any of the crowd they are "IDIOTS"

I have never ever heard a sports star say on live TV that some of the or any of the crowd are "IDIOTS"

It's just not done....

I challenge anyone to name another instance of this sort of behaviour, in an interview, on live TV, by any other sports person..

Sorry, it's not acceptable.

Well in the Ryder cup the USA crowd were called fat idiots by someone's

IMO it's often quoted here that we need more characters more incidents etc

Yet Tai love him or hate is certainly a character, usually entertaining and is probably a villain to most now

The lindgren cookie spat added to the evenings great entertainment

I for one thought this is how speedway was once... Glad it's not gone completely

For me lindgren Man of the match closely followed by PK

Great to see cookies passion

And a engaged crowd

We need the bust ups, tough riding, villains etc

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 1

Totally gutted but 18 points was too much the damage was done at Monmore. Congratulations to Wolves on the aggregate win, I was speaking with a group of Wolves fans throughout the meeting a great bunch. What a race between Zagar/Cook and Lindgren, total commitment hard but fair imo the handbags afterwards added to the atmosphere as speedway used to be years ago its called passion. As for the stick Woofinden got come on it was pantomime booing, it was common place throughout the seventies when this type of crowd was commonplace and we had atmosphere in stadiums, obviously it got to Tai hence his response, he shouldn't have let the fans know they had got to him, premier league footballers take far more vitriolic abuse but rise above it. Talking of Tai did he give his medal away? The WTC silver he said was worthless so this one must be more so considering his bit part contribution to the cause. So Wolves take revenge for 1993 fair play to them. But its hard to feel a loser when we have this track/facility. Lets hope the whole sport can now kick on and every club can look forward to much better times ahead.

• Like 1