British Speedway Forum

Somerset have weddings at the Oak Tree.

Isle of Wight have arranged a firework display and a pop concert at Smallbrook (and that's in November only).

Its possible.

And those are your examples of how to pay for a multi-million pound stadium in Gorton.

It's business 'acumen' like that, that has GOT them into this mess.

The idea of weddings/business meetings rental etc is a dead one. And as for the pitch in the middle there must be hundreds of pitches in Manchester for use for virtually nothing. Better to put a mini speedway track in the middlevand charge for lessons.

Not sure that our Elf and Safety and Noise Abatement chums would be too enthusiastic about this idea,

Somehow, the City of Manchester Football Academy seems to have a certain credibility.

:t:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/belle-vue-aces-bosses-say-12129749

Gives a tiny bit of info. We could have it rent free untill work had finished. Then we had to start paying rent which we never did

Interesting comment re "our partnership with the BSPA"....

A collective thing now is it?

WHAT?! People don't want to get married in a speedway stadium?

You'll be telling member that all them pop groups rather than playing on the centre (with the sound down - as no loud noises like fireworks allowed) are choosing to play in indoor arenas too.

I hate saying it but told you so. The whole thing has been a farce from start to end!

As for giving them credit for building it etc. Are you kidding? I could build an £7m stadium with other people's money too!

Thats Coventry, Cradley, Exeter, Halifax etc sorted then. Well done that man.

A bet there's still people on here thinking you're talking out of your backside again but who would waste bandwidth posting what you wrote? A troll?

Interesting comment re "our partnership with the BSPA"....

A collective thing now is it?

I would imagine that BSPA will have to underwrite the agreement between the new promoters and City of Manchester.

I still can't see how this is going to become financially viable.

:unsure:

The Speedway Family could help Mort and David Gordon with their predicament, if the will was there!

well clearly there isn't and really why on earth should there be ? If that's was the case let's help Plymouth as well and other promotions over the years why didn't we help Birmingham when they quit the EL - Mildenhall Boston the list is endless - if BV was in such a dire situation why didn't they ditch Zagar ? as he was clearly a drain on none existent finance . Morton and Gordon knew the situation but buried there heads in the sand . Yes they delivered a great track and stadium but at what cost to them and how can anyone make money or even break even at BV thanks to these two. Edited by Haza
  • Like 2

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/07608471/B-V-ARENA-LIMITED/companies-house-data

HELP, I don't understand this.

How can David gordon and Chris Morton be in so much debt yet George Carswell is in the black by 300k. All in the same company.

Yes George may have the rider assets but they don't add up to 300k surely

Thats Coventry, Cradley, Exeter, Halifax etc sorted then. Well done that man.

A bet there's still people on here thinking you're talking out of your backside again but who would waste bandwidth posting what you wrote? A troll?

Youre the one trolling here. Morton and Gordon haven't paid a penny for the stadium. So god only knows how they deserve any credit for scamming the tax payers of Manchester!

The Speedway Family could help Mort and David Gordon with their predicament, if the will was there!

JFC!

Cook, Fricke, both Worralls, Jacobs, Bewley, Williamson?

Cook, Fricke, both Worralls, Jacobs, Bewley, Williamson?

If that team fits I'd be surprised. Would you really want Jacobs if he is not at reserve?

If that team fits I'd be surprised. Would you really want Jacobs if he is not at reserve?

You can swap zagar and Payne for s worrall and Williamson.

.1 over being an le to swap out Richie rather than Steve in that combo. More likely we keep Steve and have hougarrd rather than Richie/zagar in that line up

WHAT?! People don't want to get married in a speedway stadium?

You'll be telling member that all them pop groups rather than playing on the centre (with the sound down - as no loud noises like fireworks allowed) are choosing to play in indoor arenas too.

I hate saying it but told you so. The whole thing has been a farce from start to end!

As for giving them credit for building it etc. Are you kidding? I could build an £7m stadium with other people's money too!

The old stadium next door was packed to the rafters last Sunday for F1 Stox. Seeing the crowds they get at Coventry for a sport that pays low end prize money this should be looked into a revenue stream I would suggest. I would bet the stadium would be full and get in bigger crowds than speedway. Speedway alone may not be viable even with a clean slate.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/belle-vue-aces-bosses-say-12129749

Gives a tiny bit of info. We could have it rent free untill work had finished. Then we had to start paying rent which we never did

I was hoping the former owners would get their say. As I suspected, the opening night was the killer blow. Here's the bit I don't get though. David G blames the contractor and council. Now, in the fact that they did not present a product, he may be right. However, they cannot be blamed for the fact that the opening meeting was called off on the day or the loss of revenue. It was up to the experts (the promoters) to ensure that the track was ready to go and if not, they could have cancelled ahead of everyone being in the stadium. That would have given them time to restage the meeting without the flap of travelling fans, petrol and hotel costs. I was informed at the ACU by two of its most senior members two weeks before the meeting that there was no way the track would be ready.

As an analogy, if I had someone build me a house to live in, I'd sure as heck test that the floorboards were safe and sturdy before we move in and the kids start jumping off their beds! If I didn't, it wouldn't be the builders fault if my kids got hurt or worse - as a parent I am responsible for the home enviroment.

Having worked in the business world a while it is not uncommon for construction projects to fall behind schedule or need to be corrected. However, the fact that tickets were on sale about 11 month ahead for a race at a stadium that was no more than a construction site with a targetted completion date is a huge factor. The monies paid in Spring of 2015 could well have been used for 2015 season bills, or even clearing 2014 debts, for example. Had the event been a pay at the door deal then it wouldn't have created the mess it did. But it was an opportunity to raise revenue a year ahead, not an uncommon business practice but a very bad decision in retrospect.

The responsibility for the insolvency of the business lies 100% on whoever within the promotion gave the go ahead to run the meeting versus cancelling ahead of the day and the ensuing disaster. The track was handed over, it should have been extensivey tested and approved and the meeting cancelled at the first note of the problem. Rescheduled a month later, all would have been fine.

I do not feel that DG or CM are bad people at all. Mort is a wonderful guy, I don't really know David. But big business mistakes can cost and this one was a whopper.

Edited by SteveEvans
  • Like 1

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/07608471/B-V-ARENA-LIMITED/companies-house-data

HELP, I don't understand this.

How can David gordon and Chris Morton be in so much debt yet George Carswell is in the black by 300k. All in the same company.

Yes George may have the rider assets but they don't add up to 300k surely

Can't access the full accounts. but if these are for year to April 16 I have a real issue with that currentvliability figure. surely all the monies for the called off meeting should be classed here? certainly the cash received should not have been treated as revenue prior to the meeting being staged.

Superficially at least the balance sheet looks very healthy, which makes no sense if there were historic financial issues.

Unless Carswell had pumped in a heap of cash to the venture, which would explain his equity?

If anyone has the full accounts pls pm me, I'd be keen to view them.

Two things emerge so far from this thread really

The Aces ran out of cash

Little Thumper is one miserable get!

(cheer up fella,life is far more fun when you dont continue to look for negatives)