British Speedway Forum

WHAT is the question?

I dare say you could have asked Dave Gordon why he allowed the turnstiles to click on opening night when probably fully aware of the softness of the track in bends 3 and 4 before lunch on that same day.

They are running the club on a budget that they won't go over to get the club in trouble.

They expect to loose money first few years.

Thanks for the updates Phil, and very good news it is for the sport.

However, the quoted statements appear to contradict each other..........can you clarify?

However, the quoted statements appear to contradict each other..........can you clarify?

Yes I sure can.

They are having to pay around 500k to pay of debts so straight away they are starting on a negative.

Therefore they have a smaller budget for a few years till as they say steady the ship and then go from there

• Like 1

I dare say you could have asked Dave Gordon why he allowed the turnstiles to click on opening night when probably fully aware of the softness of the track in bends 3 and 4 before lunch on that same day.

WERE you there? I was, from around 1pm, and David Gordon and others were confident that the track would be okay, if not perfect, that evening. Have detailed here many, many times why it deteriorated later in the day but if you don't believe that then fine.

Gordon and Chris Morton had nothing to gain by opening the turnstiles knowing that the meeting wouldn't go ahead. It would have been an act of commercial suicide although from their point of view the outcome was very much the same.

The fact that it didn't go ahead was, as we later discovered, due to circumstances out of their control and which were later fully agreed upon and documented by Manchester City Council.

VERY positive and hopefully they will reap the benefit of all the NSS has to offer.

Yes I sure can.

They are having to pay around 500k to pay of debts so straight away they are starting on a negative.

Therefore they have a smaller budget for a few years till as they say steady the ship and then go from there

See why Morton & Gordon were booted out, that's shocking :o

• Like 1

As the clerk has already said the track 3 and 4 bends were soft in the afternoon ..its a myth that the problem only came at night ..Gordon and Morton were hoping the riders were just poodle round and get some kind of meeting done so they never had to give any refunds out . where has all the gate money sky and sponsor money gone from last year if no bills were being paid .maybe mr riseing seeing he so freindly with gordon can give some answers

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

As the clerk has already said the track 3 and 4 bends were soft in the afternoon ..its a myth that the problem only came at night ..Gordon and Morton were hoping the riders were just poodle round and get some kind of meeting done so they never had to give any refunds out . where has all the gate money sky and sponsor money gone from last year if no bills were being paid .maybe mr riseing seeing he so freindly with gordon can give some answers

It's highly possible I suppose, that the finances were already way past manageable, and what money came in, may just have just reduced the overdraft level they were already carrying from the dog track years, and when this meeting then didn't go ahead, the refunds, expenses for riders, mechanics, and all the other expenses you get from a rain-off drained the account back to square one. It's also probably likely, that what income they eventually have coming in, still went on paying refunds from the G.O.M and endless bank charges.......

Basically, they were in way over their heads debt wise, and never recovered from that..

Edited by Shale Searcher

So you've not read the Speedway Star Star article and the documents that were published. Either that or you did not understand it. A loss adjustor assessed the cost to the promotion of the incomplete stadium and problems caused by the contractors with the track at just under £700k, a figure clearly accepted by the council. They have therefore done well if the debts they left amounted to £500k, just over 70% of that figure

• Like 1

Anyone wanna buy 2 tickets I had for the Peter Craven meeting, it clashes with our first Lynn meeting, I don't believe it!!

So you think that everything the previous promotion paid for on the run up to the stadium opening should be given away free?

The rider assets weren't liquidated to pay speedway debt so that value still belonged to the old promotion.

Why am I having to type this? You cannot be that stupid.

Before rushing to have a dig just think first or pm me and I can save you looking ridiculous.

The only thing soft that afternoon was your head mate. 😂😂

• Like 1

A very positive meeting last night and the new owners have the type of business acumen that really was needed from the very start once the new stadium opened its doors.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 1