British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Broadsider

Quest For Change, British Speedway A 21st Century Sport

Seems to me some EL promoters wouldn't want to run PL/NL sides but rather settle for 8-10 fixtures and run april-august.I think running sides at 2 levels at same track will only work in a few cases.A lot of fans will only watch the 'A' team.

Take for example my club Poole. If something along those lines was brought in, it would be a disaster. Poole are an EL club and most, (not all) of the fans want to watch the best speedway this country can offer. They would turn up for the EL meetings, but I would suggest the attendances for a lower quality PL fixture would be dire. Matt Ford tried to run a NL team but not enough fans came through the gate to support it. Same would happen here.

As for a 7 home 7 away season, well how the hell are a promotion meant to make money on 7 fixtures plus the chance of a couple of extra playoff mettings?

And as for the often touted but ridiculous suggestions of a north and south league, we ain't the USA or Australia. We are a small country where you can drive to Glasgow and back from Poole in a day if you wished.

We need more EL meetings, not less. Increase the top flight to 12 teams, play each other home and away twice and we have a decent league. And don't even consider 6 man teams. Introduce squads for teams that want to go down that route. Riders would have to be graded as averages will fluctuate.

So 14 weekly Elite Fixtures equals a two month season!!!!!

Mathematics was never this Forum's strongest suite......is it any wonder Mrs May wants to bring back Grammar Schools?

Might not be two months but 7 meetings is less than two months WORTH of meetings.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Poole fans currently pay to watch 85% premier league or even national league riders the league is only elite by name.

The reason a national league side didn't work is because yoy have the A team in the elite league, if you only had national league and it was a winning team people would turn up.

Appreciate people saying they can drive to glasgow and back in a day but how many of them actually do it, hardly any, regionalisation altho some clubs may still be some distance apart is the only way to boost attendances, reducing the product would bring tickets to around £10-£15maximum and people would pay to see it.

I would like someone who wants the elite league to work to give me 10 reasons why its elite?

Poole fans currently pay to watch 85% premier league or even national league riders the league is only elite by name.

The reason a national league side didn't work is because yoy have the A team in the elite league, if you only had national league and it was a winning team people would turn up.

Appreciate people saying they can drive to glasgow and back in a day but how many of them actually do it, hardly any, regionalisation altho some clubs may still be some distance apart is the only way to boost attendances, reducing the product would bring tickets to around £10-£15maximum and people would pay to see it.

I would like someone who wants the elite league to work to give me 10 reasons why its elite?

Personally I'm a 'one big league' fan. The reason the 'Elite' is so named is because it's the highest level we currently have and for some people that is something to be proud of.

So 14 weekly Elite Fixtures equals a two month season!!!!!

Mathematics was never this Forum's strongest suite......is it any wonder Mrs May wants to bring back Grammar Schools?

Think he was eluding to that 7 home fixtures in a season once a week is less than 2 months in total . There is some substance to this as only a very small minority now attend away matches.

Fair comment SS. Ok so lets look at the Pirates and their current Sky Elite League line up: Holder, Anderson, Kurtz, Buczkowski, Pedersen, Newman and Ellis. Using their "squad" this could possibly translate into the following more than capable Premier League outfit: Kurtz, Buzkowski (or Pedersen), Jack Holder, Newman, Ellis, 3 pointer & ANO. I therefore have to question what exactly is so unsupportable about that Premier side to cause dyed in the wool Pirates fans to simply abandon their club and precipitate financial disaster?

Clearly the Sky Elite League is already shored up by Premier League riders who constantly demonstrate themselves as being hardly inferior around a Speedway circuit. Remember the idea is to still retain the Sky Elite League but to operate a condensed fixture list and run alongside an expanded Premier League completion. In fact it's not to preclude Chris Holder or Hans Anderson or indeed both forming part of a Pirates Premier League septet, if they so wish, subject to complying with any agreed points limit.

In no way would I question supporters commitment but surely there's more to following Poole Speedway than Chris Holder & Hans Anderson?

• Like 1

Would you see a price differential between the 'Elite' fixtures and the 'PL' meetings?

If the Poole EL team was bottom of the table and the PL team top there would very likely be more support for the PL fixtures. That's not a dig at Poole as it would apply to most places.

However if it was a once a season opportunity to see Holder and Anderson against, say, Woffinden and Lindgren then perhaps that alone would keep the numbers up.

Could you offer up 10 reasons why the Premier League is Premier?

• Like 2

The British League Cup was abused by most of the top flight sides at that time. Instead of having teams minus their heat leaders (as was the intention, they fielded some heat leaders and came under the average limit by tracking a number of 3 pointers.

The effect of this was that many heats became processions led by the EL heat leader, followed by the PL boys and the 3.00 junior at the back.

The ides was that PL heat leaders vs EL 2nd strings would produce some close racing...as usual in speedway a great idea was flawed by EL clubs self-interest who fielded top heavy sides and made use of TS rules.

My point is that any 'B' grade fixtures MUST exclude the top boys. No circumvention.

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

Sick of PL fans that keep on and on about EL teams being full of PL riders. There are reasons why riders stay racing PL, of course they enjoy it but some of them would like to break through in Sweden and Poland where the big bucks are but simply can't so they need PL racing still. I read in the ELRC prog that Nick Morris and Bomber want PL racing next year because they need to race more. The amount of fixtures the EL offers is not enough but they can boost their earnings and time on the bike in the PL.

So many EL riders are plying their trade in the PL as it suits their career and earning potential, it's not because they are just "PL" standard ....

Years ago the PL was the training ground for riders to then make the step up to the EL, it still is to a certain extent but as I said above riders can't then make a living off EL fixtures alone so they stay PL.

EL bosses need to find a way of giving EL riders more fixtures so they don't need PL racing (PL fans and promoters won't like that, if their star riders were missing eh!), more NL boys can then get places in the PL which would help their development. Obviously some sort of job share\squad system could be put in place for the guys who have got rides in Sweden and Poland (if costs could be met? .... I guess there is good reason why this hasn't been done yet though).

Let's see what they come up with.

Buster says in the ELRC prog that the Gerhard engine has reduced costs dramatically for those who have used them this year, that sounds a good thing for speedway

Oh yeah and while I'm ranting, the pigging names Elite, Premier and National are just pigging names to differentiate between the piggin leagues, arghhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Trees

Sick of PL fans that keep on and on about EL teams being full of PL riders. There are reasons why riders stay racing PL, of course they enjoy it but some of them would like to break through in Sweden and Poland where the big bucks are but simply can't so they need PL racing still. I read in the ELRC prog that Nick Morris and Bomber want PL racing next year because they need to race more. The amount of fixtures the EL offers is not enough but they can boost their earnings and time on the bike in the PL.

So many EL riders are plying their trade in the PL as it suits their career and earning potential, it's not because they are just "PL" standard ....

Years ago the PL was the training ground for riders to then make the step up to the EL, it still is to a certain extent but as I said above riders can't then make a living off EL fixtures alone so they stay PL.

EL bosses need to find a way of giving EL riders more fixtures so they don't need PL racing (PL fans and promoters won't like that, if their star riders were missing eh!), more NL boys can then get places in the PL which would help their development. Obviously some sort of job share\squad system could be put in place for the guys who have got rides in Sweden and Poland (if costs could be met? .... I guess there is good reason why this hasn't been done yet though).

Let's see what they come up with.

Buster says in the ELRC prog that the Gerhard engine has reduced costs dramatically for those who have used them this year, that sounds a good thing for speedway

Oh yeah and while I'm ranting, the pigging names Elite, Premier and National are just pigging names to differentiate between the piggin leagues, arghhhhhhhhhhh

It's also quite interesting running through team line-ups to see who these PL & NL riders are that are propping up EL sides.....a large percentage are owned by EL Clubs, so the argument could well work the other way around.

• Like 1

It's also quite interesting running through team line-ups to see who these PL & NL riders are that are propping up EL sides.....a large percentage are owned by EL Clubs, so the argument could well work the other way around.

The asset system is a nonsense that needs to disappear as soon as possible anyway in my opinion. They are owned by EL clubs in name only, youngsters whose head was turned by the opportunity to sign for a big name club which will do well if the rider does and not care if he doesn't.

• Like 2

The asset system is a nonsense that needs to disappear as soon as possible anyway in my opinion. They are owned by EL clubs in name only, youngsters whose head was turned by the opportunity to sign for a big name club which will do well if the rider does and not care if he doesn't.

Don't disagree with the first part...more the attitude of many believing the PL is the be all and end all and that it props up the EL. Both leagues have their pros and cons and both need each other, that is the reality.

• Like 1

What I find most disturbing whenever suggestions are made to improve the domestic product ,is how many people are prepared to sacrifice the whole of speedway ,for a glimpse of a "Top rider " whenever said rider can fit us into his schedule , and when his service does not conflict with Poland ,Sweden , or the GP's . we have been pandering to Top Riders , Poland and the GP for too long now ,while our own leagues have suffered and been used by Gp riders as a "day job " at the end of the day ,with Harris's departure from the GP , Woffinden choosing to ride here ,only to top his earnings up when the cash cow of Poland dries up , How many riders are we actually bending over backwards to accommodate ? I estimate about 6 , and for the benefit of seeing them as and when , we have to accept the impact on clubs . supporters and other riders . Time to cut the GP riders loose , and the Journeymen foreigners who will not accept the U.K as their priority , then we can set about restoring our own leagues and clubs ,without trying to run leagues with one hand tied behind our backs .

• Like 7