British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

Nice to see that the press release has been amended to clarify the 1.4 issue, it now reads "by a factor of 1.4"

Most people reading the original statement would assume an increase of 1.4 would mean an addition, I did, when all it needed to say was "multiplied by 1.4"

However I do think this just goes to show how the rule book gets into such a mess, if a simple point such as this is so misinterpreted.

The same can be said for "riders who only raced in the Elite League", do they mean that, does the National League come into the equation ? (I'm thinking Adam Ellis here)

A more forward thinking organisation would have gone through the rider list and published new averages right now, to accompany the press release.

Do the Promoters write the rule book ?

The original release said that 1.4 would be added, multiplication or factor were not mentioned at all.

Oh, I don't think it did, go to post no 248 and you'll see that it says "increased by 1.4", which most people I believe would assume to mean a rider on, say, 8 would become 9.4.

I know multiplication or factors weren't mentioned, that was the point of my post.

I'm not sure why you have posted, you appear to be agreeing with me but trying to pick me up on a technicality which you have got wrong yourself.

Promotion and relegation brilliant idea ,dont know why it's never been tried before , gives the lower division something to strive for and aaded interest come the end of the season :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is not football..Promotion and relegation do not work in Speedway Expect problems at the end of the season....

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

Promotion and relegation brilliant idea ,dont know why it's never been tried before , gives the lower division something to strive for and aaded interest come the end of the season :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But speedibee, you are forgetting that the promotion/relegation brainwave is going hand in hand with a major re-branding exercise so that any casual supporter of the sport will have even less idea of who is doing what and where and what effect a team's results will have on what they may or may not be doing the following season, assuming that they are not operating a business plan advocated by the Philip Green school of business management.

:drink:

There's always a way...mystery illnesses, breakdowns en-route, etc...if a Championship team doesn't want to be promoted hen the situation can be "engineered" to prevent it from happening.

That is what happened when we last had promotion/relegation.

• Like 1

Wish people would stop moaning and just enjoy the sport whilst we have it. At least they're trying to make an effort to improve things. And for all the people questioning the riders that want to double up, and want the rule quashed, do they expect people like Sam Masters to come over and try and make it pay with just one British League and maybe Denmark or Poland? Just enjoy what we have.

• Like 7

Oh, I don't think it did, go to post no 248 and you'll see that it says "increased by 1.4", which most people I believe would assume to mean a rider on, say, 8 would become 9.4.

I know multiplication or factors weren't mentioned, that was the point of my post.

I'm not sure why you have posted, you appear to be agreeing with me but trying to pick me up on a technicality which you have got wrong yourself.

I agree with you fully. My point was that the BSPA had to change this press release twice before they got it right.

BSPA Twitter account confirmed that it is x1.4 not +1.4.

Do you think the bspa have thought of that, based on previous agm changes I would be surprised if they have.

They have, I think Chris Louis mentioned something about it on a press release.

Wish people would stop moaning and just enjoy the sport whilst we have it. At least they're trying to make an effort to improve things. And for all the people questioning the riders that want to double up, and want the rule quashed, do they expect people like Sam Masters to come over and try and make it pay with just one British League and maybe Denmark or Poland? Just enjoy what we have.

I fully agree! Whatever changes had been made, you'd get the same moaners on here. I'm delighted by the changes and am already looking forward to next season.

Edited by foamfence
  • Like 4

do they expect people like Sam Masters to come over and try and make it pay with just one British League and maybe Denmark or Poland?

Aussies have been coming over here to do speedway from day 1 and managed to make it pay when affiliated to just one team and no riding in Europe. I'm not saying this is how it should be.......just that a decent living can still be made riding weekly for just one team.

Aussies have been coming over here to do speedway from day 1 and managed to make it pay when affiliated to just one team and no riding in Europe. I'm not saying this is how it should be.......just that a decent living can still be made riding weekly for just one team.

Maybe so but I don't see the problem with allowing them to ride here in both leagues. I'm sure there's a few who might think about not bothering if they only had one team.

I fully agree! Whatever changes had been made, you'd get the same moaners on here. I'm delighted by the changes and am already looking forward to next season.

I used to travel to watch Halifax at the Shay and marvel at the battles between Carter, Collins, Morton and all the others.

The Shay and so many other great speedway venues are long gone.

Where do you watch speedway these days, foamfence?

Perhaps if there had been a few more "moaners" in those days then speedway wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate so badly and people would have put more pressure on the sport's organizers to get their act together, get people coming through the gates, provide modern decent facilities and promote the sport in a professional manner.

Instead of tracks being closed down, the environment should have been created to allow new tracks to open up.

So, foamfence, I am of the opinion that we need more moaners not less.

At least if the patient is moaning, he is still alive!

:t:

I used to travel to watch Halifax at the Shay and marvel at the battles between Carter, Collins, Morton and all the others.

The Shay and so many other great speedway venues are long gone.

Where do you watch speedway these days, foamfence?

Perhaps if there had been a few more "moaners" in those days then speedway wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate so badly and people would have put more pressure on the sport's organizers to get their act together, get people coming through the gates, provide modern decent facilities and promote the sport in a professional manner.

Instead of tracks being closed down, the environment should have been created to allow new tracks to open up.

So, foamfence, I am of the opinion that we need more moaners not less.

At least if the patient is moaning, he is still alive!

:t:

Whatever changes are made would still bring out the moaners. The 'doer's have just had their conference, they know what they can and can't do and what they can afford. I started watching in the 50s at Belle Vue and Odsal, Halifax later reopened and was always my favourite. I sometimes acted as a mechanic and sponsor, these days I'm getting on a bit and not always so well, in the last couple of years I've visited Redcar, Sheffield and Belle Vue, when able. I think the changes make the sport look more credible to those who don't usually go or those who might be taken along for the first time, it even made the sports section of the BBC website yesterday.

• Like 4

Quite a positive AGM chuffed that Somerset are moving up will make the effort to see more of them this year.The only downer for me was i was hoping the EL would bring in a rule that a Englishman had to be in the 1-5 and a young Englishman at 7.

Do you mean "British man"?

• Like 1