British Speedway Forum
Dickie Head

Dave Lanning Rip

The voice of Speedway and of course Darts. No one comes close to his Speedway commentary

Proper Speedway Promoter and worked the local rivalry between West Ham and Len Silver's Hackney so well

Great memories from his times at West Ham in the sixties

RIP Mr Lanning

Edited by westhamboy66

I first came in contact with Dave Lanning in the mid-1950s when I was working for Echo Publications (London) Ltd in Cheapside, London, and he started sending contributions to the 'Speedway Star' and 'Soccer Star". RIP Dave Lanning.

Edited by Guest

The voice of speedway, bar none. RIP Dave

How very sad. Meet him a couple times, a nice guy and very knowledgable about all aspects of sport.

Sadly missed.

Edited by pugwash

I am so terribly saddened by this news. I cut my speedway teeth at Exeter after seeing speedway on World of Sport in the early 70's, with the "Voice of Speedway" providing commentary in his own never equalled, never mind bettered, style.

I can still hear his voice now, beautifully toned for the job at hand, coining such fabulous phrases as "That was poetry, poetry on wheels", "High, wide & handsome" & "He's right out on the ring road". His brilliant observations during the likes of PC's world final win, the infamous Penhall/Carter clash in 82, Mauger's incredible win in the rain in Gothenburg & many others, where he held the viewer enthralled with his very own brand of analysis, his unique & brilliant turn of phrase, & that fabulous burr, so perfect for our beloved sport, all of which set him apart as the doyen of his art & very much "Mr Speedway" in the commentary sense. On top of that, having met him more than once, a real gent & a lovely, lovely man. He will be missed. The phrase "they broke the mould when they made him" is often used, but with this man it happens to be true. One of a kind. RIP Dave.

• Like 4

The fact I can still quote pieces of his commentary 30 years after I first heard them tells you that he was the true "voice of speedway"

Sympathies to his family and friends.

Hopefully the fact he is so fondly remembered by many will help.

Excellent commentator...R.I.P.

Very Sad news, i was lucky to meet him and his family many times, he is a very special part of speedway history and his commentary was top class.RIP