British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2017

Well someone had to start it,have to wait for the AGM for next years points and rules but with the team likely to have to be broken up who do we want for 2017,for me Jake and Bradley should be back James Shane's would be good but most teams will want him,if Plymouth don't ride premier jack holder would be good on his average,but let's hear your choices?

Another Aussie on a 5.00 maybe?

Certainly worked with Jake Allen and BWD.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Rebels are the benchmark for team building. Edinburgh to a certain extent though this season slipped up with Jye Etheridge. Just hope the league doesn't reduce points limit or keeps the 3.00 No 7 rule.

Rebels worthy champions and will probably set pace again.

Rebels are the benchmark for team building. Edinburgh to a certain extent though this season slipped up with Jye Etheridge.

What you're forgetting is that so much of it is a gamble, albeit a calculated risk, a significant amount of it is luck or good fortune or whatever you want to call it, avoiding injuries, etc, all of that can be the difference between finishing first or second or well down the table.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

What you're forgetting is that so much of it is a gamble, albeit a calculated risk, a significant amount of it is luck or good fortune or whatever you want to call it, avoiding injuries, etc, all of that can be the difference between finishing first or second or well down the table.

And picking good guests.

• Like 1

And picking good guests.

Indeed, absolutely agree. Somerset have chosen very astutely, so much so its actually strengthened them rather than just maintain their existing team ability. The 14 points of Bewley scored guesting for Somerset at Glasgow far outweighed the guy he replaced who'd hardly scored a point before at Ashfield, so much so instead of a narrow win for Somerset that day, it would have been a convincing home win for Glasgow, and instead of a final table of Somerset 60 points, Glasgow 57, it would have been the other way round with Glasgow on 60 points, Somerset on 57. I aint knocking it though, Somerset's management managed the situation to best effect, their manager is worth a few league points on his own, a good manager in my opinon. Even if roles had been reversed and the 3 league points gone the other way to leave Glasgow at top of the table, I still don't think the play-off result would have been any different.

• Like 1

Well obviously we have to call for Jake and Bradley, first names on the team sheet.

Shanes obviously has grass track to contend with but Bacon, Wajtknecht and Branford are good options for national league reserve.

One of Wright and Starke, they can't ride together and both have big averages. Would probably choose Wright as I think Starke will go elsewhere anyway.

Tungate, i've heard he may want Elite and abroad next season but would love him back. Then Josh, proved me wrong this year but have heard he wants a smaller track.

So would go with:

1. Tungate/ Grajczonek

2. Allen

3. Wright

4. 5.76/ 5.87

5. Holder

6. Wilson Dean

7. Wajtknecht, Bacon, Shanes (not sure what average Branford would be or if he qualifies)

Bradford has an average above 3, but it's a given Somerset will be amongst the top teams again

Branfords last issued green sheet average effective 1st October was 4.6 - he's useful but given his average is close to that of BWD we'd take Bradley I think. That's assuming we are still in the PL!

Edited by Always a RACER

I suspect jack holder and todd kurtz have been tapped up also wouldnt be surprised to see brady back aswell

Try working your teams to 40 points

Hope not, don't want to see a diluted product.

Edited by Endeavour
  • Like 1

Kai Huckenbeck finished on an EL average of 3.67 - looks very tempting if you could get him on a sub 6 point PL average - he'd be well suited to the OTA.

I agree with around the boards (again) the EL is not the place for Somerset. If they were to re-brand as the Bristol Bulldogs & spent big time on advertising that could work?

I agree with around the boards (again) the EL is not the place for Somerset. If they were to re-brand as the Bristol Bulldogs & spent big time on advertising that could work?

No thanks.