British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

After the debacle at Kings Lynn tonight it seems Jon Cook's decision to distance the club from 'top level' speedway as it exists in this country at present, may have been a good move! ;)

Despite Zach and Alfie being elsewhere the Hammers never broke sweat tonight. Williamson was excellent for Buxton, bettered only by 18 point maximum man Ben Morley. Other than that a rather forgetable meeting attended by a worryingly low crowd. I think a good crowd and a cracking meeting when Birmingham visit in 2 weeks is badly needed.

I went to the reverse fixture at Brum a few weeks ago. It was a decent meeting, but the crowd wasn't great.

Difficult to assess the crowds at Birmingham as most of them are behind glass. Hope they bring a few to us. I went to Kent last night

to see the Eastbourne match. With a comparatively weak team, missing both Hopwood and Stoneman with only Connor Coles ( who did

not do his reputation much good), I expected the Eagles to dominate. How wrong I was . Our Ben ( Morley) was superb and both Jack Thomas

and Anders Rowe stood out for the home team. Great entertainment for me, pleased to see Eastie getting walloped for change.

• Like 1

KO Cup......finally a statement:

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/hammers-update/

So NEARLY A MONTH after it was reported on the Speedway GB website, Jon Cook finally decides to communicate with the Lakeside Supporters.

Not enough dates?

Really?

July: We had a total of two meetings (None Away).

August: We've got 3 Home Meetings throughout August - one of those being a 'Reserved' date. 'Reserved' for what?

So once again, during the main Summer month with kids off school and families taking breaks, we have just TWO home league meetings.

Keeping up so far? Not difficult really is it. In a two month period, 2 + 2 = 4. Oh.....plus a 'Reserved' date.

Onto September: ONE home meeting and a (wait for it) another 'Reserved' date.

So, over a THREE MONTH period, we've had/got programmed a TOTAL of FIVE home league meetings.

But there was not enough time to fit in the KO Cup.

Seriously?

Meanwhile, Season Ticket release info stated they would cover a minimum of 14 meetings http://www.lakesidehammers.co/?s=Season+tickets

Well, that appears to be the exact bang people are getting for their buck.......if you include the two 'Reserved' dates.

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/fixtures/

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

defo something not right with this as we can see plenty of dates free

and if most of the reason is riders in senior leagues then surely belle vue

should have fallen on their sword as the have more than us.

as I have said lot going on behind the scenes of which I heard were

positive but the lack of communication and this debarcle then maybe not

just hope its not terminal.

The point is, we are the host club but can only get dates that are not already booked stock cars, bangers, drifting, etc. On top of that we already have Zak injured and as the rules stand at the moment Rye House have first call on Ben and Newcastle have first call on Alfie. It would be disastrous if we had to go into a meeting with a guest for Zak, and r/r for Alfie and Ben.

Who was your source who said its positive news.....HP?? ;)

The point is, we are the host club but can only get dates that are not already booked stock cars, bangers, drifting, etc. On top of that we already have Zak injured and as the rules stand at the moment Rye House have first call on Ben and Newcastle have first call on Alfie. It would be disastrous if we had to go into a meeting with a guest for Zak, and r/r for Alfie and Ben.

you would have 2 guests and 1 rr, but your point is still valid

Woooo hang on a minute.

Jon Cook chucked the towel in a few weeks before Zak was injured. What is he - psychic?

And with our flexibility at home Fri/Sat nights plus Sun afternoons, we couldn't fit the KO Cup date(s)?

What about the 2 dates that are showing in our fixture list as 'Reserved'......what is planned for them - in order for Lakeside to meet it's 'minimum of 14 meetings' quota as mentioned for Season Ticket Sales?

When I think about it, a promise of a minimum of 14 meetings seems ridiculous. I come from the Old School of expecting something like

25 - 30 meetings a year. Now I know that those days are long gone, but only 14 ?????

Just compare that to a properly ran club, and at Kent we have already had 15 home meetings this season (plus at least 1 rain off.)

Ok the SDL meetings may have attracted only 200 or so fans BUT I still had something to do on that Monday night.

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1

Just compare that to a properly ran club, and at Kent we have already had 15 home meetings this season (plus at least 1 rain off.)

Ok the SDL meetings may have attracted only 200 or so fans BUT I still had something to do on that Monday night.

Importantly, those meetings keep the momentum going for supporters.

Even back in the 70's and 80's, there were 3 and 4 Team Tournaments, Individual Events, Local Cups, etc. I don't really remember crowds at these Meetings taking too much of a hit - because it was a Friday Night, at 8 O'Clock......and nothing whatsoever came in the way of going to Hackney Speedway; and no doubt other supporters to their repsective tracks.

As has been alluded to many times before, if people get out of a routine then it's quite easy for them to find other interests. So fair play to Kent - who by the end of July have delivered EIGHTEEN Home Meetings, compared to Lakeside's NINE.

No doubt there will be more bleating by Jon Cook on low crowd numbers. Does it really take much logic to work out why?

Oh my goodness, yeah you think back to a time when the old National League has 16-18 teams, you would at least one koc match, one round of a fours qualifier, a spring or Autumn triangle involving local teams but normally Hackney and Rye House, a pairs meeting, the huge supernational marathon (before promoters butchered individuals) if you had less than 22/23 home meetings in a season, you felt hard done by.