British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

All the speculation depends on the points limit again, once we know that we can have a really good guess. Think the lower limit will stay at 3 though whatever.

Can't see the limit dropping that far if at all. Based on Mildenhall's signings so far (4 riders 28.19) the lowest it could drop and still field a side is 38.00.

The lower limit needs to stay at 3.00 as some riders deserve an extra chance if they have stayed on a 3.00 plus there would be the argument that last years 3 pointers wouldn't be as high as they are now and would be deemed less attractive for team building purposes.

Strudwick young? There will probably be reserves in the NL next year that were still in nappies when Strudwick started riding and they're probably miles better than him already too.

Could be argued that Strudwick has spent those years gathering experience that younger riders clearly don't have? Ultimately my view is that the most important thing is being good enough not old/too old enough.

Interesting comment from Dan Bewlay on signing for Glasgow. He is apparently potentially riding NL on Fridays.

Who rides Fridays next year? Belle Vue or Plymouth?

Can't see the limit dropping that far if at all. Based on Mildenhall's signings so far (4 riders 28.19) the lowest it could drop and still field a side is 38.00.

The lower limit needs to stay at 3.00 as some riders deserve an extra chance if they have stayed on a 3.00 plus there would be the argument that last years 3 pointers wouldn't be as high as they are now and would be deemed less attractive for team building purposes.

Could be argued that Strudwick has spent those years gathering experience that younger riders clearly don't have? Ultimately my view is that the most important thing is being good enough not old/too old enough.

I would be very disappointed if Strudwick was selected.

How about:

1. Mark Baseby 7.73

2. Kelsey Dugard 4.28

3. Connor Coles 7.11

4. Ben Hopwood 5.83

5. Georgie Wood 7.62

6. Richard Andrews 4.26

7. Tom Brennan 3.00

Total 39.83

Or

1. Kyle Hughes 8.67

2. Kelsey Dugard 4.28

3. Connor Coles 7.11

4. Ben Hopwood 5.83

5. Georgie Wood 7.62

6. New 3 pointer

7. Tom Brennan 3.00

Total 39.51

Any thoughts?

I like most of us hope it stays at 40, but even a drop to 38 will have a big impact on team building, would have to re think most ideas for Eastie.

Edited by gazzac

Strudwick young? There will probably be reserves in the NL next year that were still in nappies when Strudwick started riding and they're probably miles better than him already too.

25 isn't exactly ancient though? There's plenty of other 'old' riders who ride in the national league, if we're counting 25+ as old

Or is he 26 now? Either way... Not so old

I am only suggesting Niall as a 3.00 rider though, can anyone suggest any others who would ride for Eastbourne? Thanks, Sam Woods?

Although he's getting on a bit now... He'll be 23 next year :o

Two days to the AGM and still no sign of who is our No1. With so many potential No 1's moving up the leagues and several teams getting in early to sign up some of the best available the list is getting thinner and thinner.

With Morley looking certain to be at Lakeside, Bewlay at Belle Vue , possibly Zach at Brum there is not much left, so Kyle Hughes looks odds on.

Whilst I like Mark Baseby, not as No 1 we really need an approximately 8.5 pointer to be competitive in the final heats. I am sure Martin will have something up his sleeve but is keeping us in suspense.

It could be that Belle Vue and Coventry will still be in the League because they have had over a month since their AGM to announce their intention not to run, as indeed Rye House did, what is the point in waiting until Tuesday and making the others revise their planning at the last moment.

Two days to the AGM and still no sign of who is our No1. With so many potential No 1's moving up the leagues and several teams getting in early to sign up some of the best available the list is getting thinner and thinner.

With Morley looking certain to be at Lakeside, Bewlay at Belle Vue , possibly Zach at Brum there is not much left, so Kyle Hughes looks odds on.

Whilst I like Mark Baseby, not as No 1 we really need an approximately 8.5 pointer to be competitive in the final heats. I am sure Martin will have something up his sleeve but is keeping us in suspense.

It could be that Belle Vue and Coventry will still be in the League because they have had over a month since their AGM to announce their intention not to run, as indeed Rye House did, what is the point in waiting until Tuesday and making the others revise their planning at the last moment.

Isn't that exactly the point? Wait until the points limit is set.

Not sure exactly what point you are referring to!

Surely they don't turn up at the meeting and if its a point limit they like they say we run otherwise we are out.?

If you mean the planning of the team makeup, that is not the issue as you do not need to know the limit to get a good No 1 which is essential and 5 teams already have.

When I refer to planning I mean such things as knowing the number of teams and their race nights, which controls the number of meetings and available dates, whether a team can fit the Trophy into their season etc.

I have to re-iterate the point as I was making it, that if they have decided against the NL this year no purpose is served in waiting until the AGM to say so as their original Lease and Managerial problems were resolved in time to enter the new Premiership over a month ago.

Back on the original tack if any team (& I was referring specifically to my own) has not got their No 1 lined up they are going to be left with the left overs. As an aside if any team is holding back thinking they might have a 42 or more limit to enable them to dig out from somewhere a 10 or 11 pointer then they are taking a terrible risk because if the limit comes down to 38 they will find most of the best 8 pointers gone.

Not sure exactly what point you are referring to!

Surely they don't turn up at the meeting and if its a point limit they like they say we run otherwise we are out.?

If you mean the planning of the team makeup, that is not the issue as you do not need to know the limit to get a good No 1 which is essential and 5 teams already have.

When I refer to planning I mean such things as knowing the number of teams and their race nights, which controls the number of meetings and available dates, whether a team can fit the Trophy into their season etc.

I have to re-iterate the point as I was making it, that if they have decided against the NL this year no purpose is served in waiting until the AGM to say so as their original Lease and Managerial problems were resolved in time to enter the new Premiership over a month ago.

Back on the original tack if any team (& I was referring specifically to my own) has not got their No 1 lined up they are going to be left with the left overs. As an aside if any team is holding back thinking they might have a 42 or more limit to enable them to dig out from somewhere a 10 or 11 pointer then they are taking a terrible risk because if the limit comes down to 38 they will find most of the best 8 pointers gone.

My point was that the Dugards are probably waiting until the points limit is set so that they can sign further riders. There's no point in having a quality number 1 on a big average but then the points limit decreasing. They've signed 3 riders so it's hardly as if they're slacking and those 3 were obviously in all permutations. Look at Rye House last year! The secret to a good team isn't about having a good number 1, it's about finding riders who can improve their average which is why the Eagles thought it's important to sign up Brennan & Wood quickly (and they must rate Coles too) as opposed to signing top end riders first. Having said all that, it's obvious that Eastbourne and other clubs will have spoken to more riders than the Ines they've signed so they won't have to pick up the scraps, they'll just pick up the phone and offer a contract because the details will have already been discussed!

If its 38 limit , baseby wood coles hopwood would be a v solid top 4 and nobody over 8 to suck the points up

Well, Eagles No1 certainly got that right. Hope he is right with Kelsey & Ben leaving 3.43 for the last one.

Certainly different from last year and looks like it could turn out the most well balanced side in the league but along with that we could be struggling in heat 13 & 15. There are already some very strong combinations being formed,

The big question is what are the likely options if they don't get Ben who I suspect is looking at the best part of a dozen offers. I am sure Kelsey will be a shoo-in as he ought to be. His first season average was built on about 5.5 at home and 2.5 away so to nearly maintain it last year away from the track he grew up on was a promising improvement. Include the movement up from reserve to No2 last year highlights the improvement.