British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Promotion/relegation.

Chris Louis has stated the Ippo side has been put together specifically to win the Championship so that they can operate at the top level in 2018.

Ipswich could have applied to join this year (or any previous years) couldn't they?

• Like 4

Promotion and relegation between the top leagues will never work unless it is very, very lucrative to be in the top division and that is never going to happen in speedway unfortunately.

Well they all agree to it so it's time to accept it's happening.

• Like 1

Well they all agree to it so it's time to accept it's happening.

It's not a question of me accepting it Steve, I am just a mere supporter. Just because all promotions have signed up to it doesn't mean it will work.

• Like 1

It's not a question of me accepting it Steve, I am just a mere supporter. Just because all promotions have signed up to it doesn't mean it will work.

Time will tell I guess however it works well in Poland, less so in Sweden tho.

It's clear the long term plan is to keep weakening which to me is the most worrying and probably the one thing that has the lower level of teams on side.

• Like 2

As costs at the top level now should be much lower plus adding the the Sky money on top I guess moving up could prove more lucrative for Championship clubs.

• Like 2

I guess the only alternatives would have been to have one single league of 18 teams, or go for regional north/south conferences.

Probably not enough riders to fill 18 teams in a single league with no doubling up possible, and would probably result in the same 4-5 clubs dominating the league table with the rest cast-off behind. In the county cricket championship, the two division set up has been fairly successful.

I'm not sure if north/south conferences have been tried before in the dim and distant past, but I think the novelty would soon wear off.

No, reducing the gap between the two divisions to a smaller one makes most sense, and should make it hard for anyone to reasonably decline promotion.

The main issue is the price of the product, and the quality, as always but now even more so.

Having a 'senior' league structure is a requirement of Sky, but I gather the name change hasn't gone down too well at Sky Towers, so it'll be interesting to see how keen Sky are by the time 2018 comes around.

Ipswich could have applied to join this year (or any previous years) couldn't they?

I would think that with all the major track changes taking place at Ipswich they would want at least one season to get used to them !!

If the championship teams were serious they would have insisted on a straight promotion for their champions.

How can spectators take any play-offs fixtures seriously knowing one team might not actually be trying to win. Fans aren't that stupid!

• Like 1

If promotion and relegation is going to be introduced then it should be one up and one down, no play-offs. Otherwise it's just bluster ultimately.

• Like 3

If Coventry are bottom of the premiership, quite possible, and Ipswich are top of the championship, quite possible, how will the Ipswich public enjoy their number 1 riding for the opposition in the promotion play off.

Why does Speedway go out of its way to make itself look stupid? If we have to have this ridiculous doubling up surely an automatic promotion and relegation would have been far more acceptable.

• Like 2

Quite agree and also how will a rider feel riding for a team that wants to stay up which means his other team may have to stay down!

Promotion and relegation between the top leagues will never work unless it is very, very lucrative to be in the top division and that is never going to happen in speedway unfortunately.

It works fairly well in football to be fair. The finances received from the TV companies make it very lucrative to be in the "top league", so why should speedway be any different..........unless not all of the TV money is finding it's way back into the sport. ;)

• Like 1

It's clear the long term plan is to keep weakening which to me is the most worrying and probably the one thing that has the lower level of teams on side.

In Poland the bottom team get automatically relegated and the top club from tier 2 get promoted. The play offs are contested by the 2nd top and 2nd bottom team. Nothing like the system we will have in Britain.

It works fairly well in football to be fair. The finances received from the TV companies make it very lucrative to be in the "top league", so why should speedway be any different..........unless not all of the TV money is finding it's way back into the sport. ;)

Teams out of the Premiership do not play teams from the championship for promotion

It works so well in Poland that the team that won the Promotion play off wasn't allowed to go up and the team that they beat chose not to go up, leaving the 3rd place team as the one that accepted the promotion...I can see Britain reproducing that level of success ;)
  • Like 3

Chris Louis has stated the Ippo side has been put together specifically to win the Championship so that they can operate at the top level in 2018.

Unless they change their mind mid season

• Like 1