British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

Superb promotion by Barry & Co. Once again

Taken from the Warriors FB:

"Today the Wightlink Warriors announced the Bring My Classmates scheme for Warriors to invite their entire class and their classmates parents to be guests of the Wightlink Warriors.

The scheme will enable any school class from any school on the island to come and visit the Warriors to watch speedway on one occasion during the 2017 season.

Steph Whitlock from the Warriors said, "This is a wonderful opportunity for students of all ages to experience the Warrior Way with their classmates. This is a fun time to be part of the club with lots of activities for kids and this for sure will introduce new people to this great sport. Who knows this could be the next generation of Warriors."

Commercial Director Barry Bishop added, "This scheme, to bring your class, is an amazing offer to pupils and their families on the Isle of Wight. The idea behind the scheme is to further spread the news that the Warriors fun packed family nights out are quite simply the best family fun on a Tuesday or Thursday night and that speedway is an amazing family sport. We know that we compete with many other attractions and entertainment for kids on the Island but we also know that once through the door most want to return to watch and support the Wightlink Warriors. We know this type of offer will be a success, we tested it last year to see if it would be viable for 2017 and the result was that we cannot wait to welcome your class to the Warriors."

For more details please email speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk"

• Like 3

What a promotion team, every club needs a Bishop and a Widman.

Really hope they start attracting rediculous crowds this year.

• Like 2

Hi guys, this coming Saturday, over on the Island we are having a pre Valentines party named "For The Love Of Warriors Speedway" where there will be much fun and frolics going on I am sure.

A part of this evening will be a question and answer section with promoters Barry Bishop & Martin Widman on the mic.

Whilst there will be many questions taken from the floor I am sure, we wanted to open it up to the speedway community and invite you to post any questions you would like answered on here that we can present to them on the evening.

This section of the evening will be filmed and placed on the Warriors Media Channel with all the answers to your questions.

Many thanks,

Andy

Just a simple question, not for the party. For those living on the mainland, what is the simplest and cheapest way of getting over for a meeting with the certainty of knowing you also have a ride back the same evening?

David

Hi David, quite a lot of people, myself included come over from the mainland each meeting.

The cheapest way I would say is to book the FastCat from Portsmouth. Book your ticket through the www.wightwarriors.co website and you get a discount on the ticket. You would have to pay for parking for the evening in Portsmouth, or find a free spot somewhere. You can book a FREE Taxi up to 24 hours before the meeting by contacting the club on speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk which will pick you up from the ferry crossing point and take you to the stadium, and after the meeting the taxi will return you to the ferry point FREE of charge also.

However, the most fun way is to drive over from Portsmouth, come up to the Premier Lounge after the meeting and talk to the promoters and riders etc, and then catch the 11pm ferry back with most of the riders and other fans. Makes it more of an event.

Andy

I use the fastcat, and expect to travel down for a good number of meetings. Let me know when you are interested in going and I can give you a lift if I'm planning to go.

• Like 1

Thanks very much Andy and Arnie for your help and advice. If you haven't heard about it from any other post, following one of my best mates suffering a double stroke just after Christmas, I have set myself the target this season of visiting every track in the UK and collecting sponsorship in aid of the Stroke Association.

I have never been to the IOW track so wasn't sure of the travel logistics but guessed that the fastcat may be the most practical option. The other suggestion does sound like fun Andy, but there's the driving back to Berkshire afterwards and, I'll whisper it quietly, I'm 70+ years old.

I am very grateful for the offer of a lift Arnie and would appreciate the company if it fits in with your plans. All we need now is the fixture list! I presume there are very few rain offs taking into account the wonderful climate you have down there.

David

Thanks very much Andy and Arnie for your help and advice. If you haven't heard about it from any other post, following one of my best mates suffering a double stroke just after Christmas, I have set myself the target this season of visiting every track in the UK and collecting sponsorship in aid of the Stroke Association.

I have never been to the IOW track so wasn't sure of the travel logistics but guessed that the fastcat may be the most practical option. The other suggestion does sound like fun Andy, but there's the driving back to Berkshire afterwards and, I'll whisper it quietly, I'm 70+ years old.

I am very grateful for the offer of a lift Arnie and would appreciate the company if it fits in with your plans. All we need now is the fixture list! I presume there are very few rain offs taking into account the wonderful climate you have down there.

David

Famous last words :D

Reading my updates from mid May last season, I commented that it was colder for the Mildenhall meeting than the 'Russian Front'.

Wrap up well is my advice if you are going early season.

Its one of the few tracks where I have had a 'fog off' as well - and that was in July :o. My old mate Mr Brading still blames me for that :D

I'll be surprised if the whole experience isn't one of your best. By far and away my promotion of the year in 2016.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Well I will be giving it a try in August. As soon as the fixture list came out I booked a 5 day break at Warners, Bembridge so I can support the Eagles on the Thursday.

Whilst I have passed by the Stadium before I have not been inside. Can you tell me if there is adequate seating for a couple of old codgers who cannot stand or must we bring our own?

Well I will be giving it a try in August. As soon as the fixture list came out I booked a 5 day break at Warners, Bembridge so I can support the Eagles on the Thursday.

Whilst I have passed by the Stadium before I have not been inside. Can you tell me if there is adequate seating for a couple of old codgers who cannot stand or must we bring our own?

It depends where you want to be. If you want to sit on the bank, I like it there. You would have to bring your own but there is a stand providing seating the length of the Home straight.

It will be good to see Kelsey visit the island. He will be sorely missed

Edited by TMW

Hi Arnie,

I have now put together an itinerary of sorts together up to the end of August taking in every track in the UK for my Stroke Association project. That theoretically gives me September/October to cope with any postponements etc.

I have slotted in IOW for Thursday 6 July. Sounds a long way off I know, but if you are planning to go that day the company would be great.

On a wider topic, if there is anyone out there who is willing and able to support me with a donation of any kind in aid of the Stroke Association please send a PM via the Forum or contact me on pineprogs@gmail.com

Thanks, David

I am a huge fan of what the Isle of Wight have achieved. However, I just do not understand the signing of Mullins. Little talent and must be the most unreliable rider ever. Inevitably he will let the Warriors down so they must already have an alternative plan.

I now remember why i don't ever look on here or have much to do with social media anymore :t: