British Speedway Forum

It was interesting to see the German speedway publication Bahnsport Aktuell get a mention. That's one of the German publications I was associated with in the 1980s. Its editor is an old speedway friend Kristian Kalabis.

Obviously not a close friend.You have spelt his name wrong :rofl:

• Like 1

Quick scurry back and edit but too late, found out to be deceiptfull yet again. :sad:

It could be a typo of course. I do them sometimes and I am sure you do too.

It could be a typo of course. I do them sometimes and I am sure you do too.

It was an error on my part. I did key the name in as Kristian and not Christian. It has been corrected now in my original Post but of course, very obviously, would not have appeared as a correction in a subsequent quote of the original Post.

Quick scurry back and edit but too late, found out to be deceiptfull yet again. :sad:

Spelling error? It's amazing that even the cleverest among us can sometimes make a mistake.

Edited by Guest

Interesting to read Paul Burbidge's tweet suggesting that British speedway should take note of the pricing in Poland where a season ticket at one track is £35 and admission is £5. How many more punters could they pull in if they only reduced the prices in the UK?

I have a similar thought on Speedway Star. TYGODNIK ZUZLOWY The polish equivalent is 3.20 Zloty or 60p. Just think how many more people would buy the star at that price!

Edited by Stan Duppcomic
  • Like 1

Interesting to read Paul Burbidge's tweet suggesting that British speedway should take note of the pricing in Poland where a season ticket at one track is £35 and admission is £5. How many more punters could they pull in if they only reduced the prices in the UK?

I have a similar thought on Speedway Star. TYGODNIK ZUZLOWY The polish equivalent is 3.20 Zloty or 60p. Just think how many more people would buy the star at that price!

Not many because SS would exist!

• Like 1

It's a useless thought though. By your financial estimates, you have to have 4 more readers for everyone that buys it at the moment, and that is just to stand still. Don't try and run a business. please.

Hi Phil, just would like to ask a question about Speedway Star, At the BSPA AGM in November, all the "big fixtures venues" were released for the British 2017 season, can the Speedway Star yet confirm if any of the "big fixtures venues" for Poland or Sweden have yet been confirmed. Stating this because two meetings I personally would like to attend is the Senior Polish Final, as well as the Swedish Final, have the PZM or SVEMO published their biggies dates yet for 2017.

Would also like to know if any "big" Danish meetings/venues have been released

Edited by STEPHEN 333

Easy to say,look at Poland it is so cheap there compared to us.But then look maybe at the reason why........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Then you see in real terms they are pretty much the same prices.If you want to swap British wages for Polish,then you can also pay their prices to get into speedway.Saw a programme last week about a Polish furniture company that get their furniture made in Belarus.Seeing the comparable wages i now understand why.......

Edited by iris123

A possible way of maybe increasing sales in SS, would be to print a generic race 'programme' on the centre pages.

They do it for GP's...so why not club meetings?

It'll probably piss the Clubs off, but tbh, £2.50 for a programme is a complete waste of money imo, unless you like reading adverts and old news.

Sell advertising space around the edge of the printed generic race programme as well.

I've stopped buying programmes, print my own out instead, and buy the SS occasionally.

I'd buy the SS weekly if it did this.

I'm not tight or skint...but Programmes for most sporting events, are a waste of money these days...unless you are a collector.

• Like 2

A possible way of maybe increasing sales in SS, would be to print a generic race 'programme' on the centre pages.

They do it for GP's...so why not club meetings?

It'll probably piss the Clubs off, but tbh, £2.50 for a programme is a complete waste of money imo, unless you like reading adverts and old news.

Sell advertising space around the edge of the printed generic race programme as well.

I've stopped buying programmes, print my own out instead, and buy the SS occasionally.

I'd buy the SS weekly if it did this.

I'm not tight or skint...but Programmes for most sporting events, are a waste of money these days...unless you are a collector.

The idea that the Speedway Star should take revenue from the clubs is self defeating.If the clubs earn less money the ygo broke and Speedway Stars revenue also declines!!!!! Is that a good strategy?

The idea that the Speedway Star should take revenue from the clubs is self defeating.If the clubs earn less money the ygo broke and Speedway Stars revenue also declines!!!!! Is that a good strategy?

Agreed...but if programme sales are the difference between a Club running or not, then I'd say British Club Speedway is totally broke.

If people want to save money, they can already print out race cards online.

Printing a race card in the SS wouldn't have an influence on programme sales substantially, as the option is already out there.

However...it might increase SS sales if it was printed.

I'd rather spend the money I've saved on a programme, on an extra beer. I wonder what earns the biggest profit...the beer or the programme?

Agreed...but if programme sales are the difference between a Club running or not, then I'd say British Club Speedway is totally broke.

If people want to save money, they can already print out race cards online.

Printing a race card in the SS wouldn't have an influence on programme sales substantially, as the option is already out there.

However...it might increase SS sales if it was printed.

I'd rather spend the money I've saved on a programme, on an extra beer. I wonder what earns the biggest profit...the beer or the programme?

You contradict yourself.You admit doing so would "probably piss the Clubs off" then say i shouldn't make any difference.Why would it "piss the Clubs off"if it isn't for the revenue reason?

The fact is if people don't want to spend money on a programme why would they want to spend more on the Star,just for a printed racecard?The fact of the matter is the Star wouldn't exist without speedway and just the idea of them competing for revenue with the clubs is self defeating.

• Like 2

Probably about the same number of people that buy it now. I wouldn’t buy Knitting Weekly if they reduced it to 20p because I don’t care about knitting..

If clubs sell even 200 programmes a meeting at an average of £2.00, across a year that is the best part of £7,000.00 a season. I would imagine most smaller businesses would notice that as a missed revenue stream rather than meaning either a business, or speedway club is broke as a dependence on such income.

Edited by Minor Interest
  • Like 1