British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Air Fences Lifting

Money shouldn't come into it over rider safety.

easy to make those kind of statements when it's not your money on the line , rather shows your lack of understanding of the real financial side of speedway . I suppose you think promoters have a bottomless pit of money to play with

Briggs manufactured the first ones , so they were instantly approved without question

YOUR hatred of all things Briggs surfacing again.

From memory I think the first air-fence, as used by BSI in the GPs, was produced by Andy Coffey in Australia.

The initial air-fences designed and sold by Tony Briggs were not instantly approved without question. Tony went through an extensive testing procedure with people involved with safety procedures at F1 circuits and the FIM set a standard that all air-fences had to meet.

Of course they are not perfect but no one ever suggested that they would prevent injury every time a rider crashed into one. The lifting of the fences has been a problem and I think there are new designs coming out which will help alleviate that.

But let's not forget how many riders have escaped serious injury because of the air-fences. I can still recall Jason Crump having an horrendous looking crash in a GP in Sweden when the air-fence was first introduced and he simply got up, dusted himself off and walked away.

Former BSI boss John Postlethwaite made rider safety a top priority when he first took over the SGP series and there has been huge progress since then. I have yet to talk to a rider who would prefer to go back to the old days when air-fences were not compulsory.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

From memory I think the first air-fence, as used by BSI in the GPs, was produced by Andy Coffey in Australia.

The initial air-fences designed and sold by Tony Briggs were not instantly approved without question. Tony went through an extensive testing procedure with people involved with safety procedures at F1 circuits and the FIM set a standard that all air-fences had to meet.

Of course they are not perfect but no one ever suggested that they would prevent injury every time a rider crashed into one. The lifting of the fences has been a problem and I think there are new designs coming out which will help alleviate that.

But let's not forget how many riders have escaped serious injury because of the air-fences. I can still recall Jason Crump having an horrendous looking crash in a GP in Sweden when the air-fence was first introduced and he simply got up, dusted himself off and walked away.

Former BSI boss John Postlethwaite made rider safety a top priority when he first took over the SGP series and there has been huge progress since then. I have yet to talk to a rider who would prefer to go back to the old days when air-fences were not compulsory.

and your love of all things Briggs has surfaced again , why cant you accept that not everybody sees him as some benevolent character , I'm not alone in thinking he has fleeced speedway for everything he can get , so get over it and stop trolling my posts looking for pitiful excuses to sing his praises , your obsession is becoming rather tedious

• Like 1

and your love of all things Briggs has surfaced again , why cant you accept that not everybody sees him as some benevolent character , I'm not alone in thinking he has fleeced speedway for everything he can get , so get over it and stop trolling my posts looking for pitiful excuses to sing his praises , your obsession is becoming rather tedious

Don't think Rising is trolling your posts, but instead provided some historical facts (unless you dispute them), that contradict your assertion that

"Briggs manufactured the first ones , so they were instantly approved without question"

• Like 2

Will these new designs be used in SGP this season?

Will these new designs be used in SGP this season?

A+ fences are mandatory in FIM speedway since yesterday. When talking of air fences, they are 15 % "deeper" than previous ones and a "flap" on the bottom thats dug in to the track to prevent anyone going under them. This rule change was introduced about a year ago along with forcing the start of the straights fencing being absorbant for the first 20 meters.

I am aware of the safety of solid foam fences, but they can't really be a realistic mandatory requirement at most tracks. Berwick can leave their fence up, but at Stock Car venues they have to be totally removed from places as Kings Lynn, Lakeside, Ipswich, etc. This involves great teams of volunteers, mostly taking the fence panels down immediately after the speedway meeting. In the case of air fences fitted at Dog Track venues, the air fence is dropped, after being deflated, so saving there after meeting removal. If all these fences had to be physically removed after meetings, you might as well close up shop, as it is already very difficult to get volunteers to drop the fence, as well as removing the large sheets after the speedway meeting. The air fences are not unsafe, and their design is constantly being reviewed with new features being added or amended as time goes on.

Our 2 year old fence at Newcastle is an air fence that has to be dropped after each meeting so the dog punters can see the dogs little feet during the dog racing. The panels are 5 metres long and have 4 straps attached to the bottom of the underneath fence which is loosely clipped by a carabino clip to the mesh fence behind the air fence, we still retain a kickboard behind the air fence to give the bottom end some stiffening and support. A rider or bike can edge under the fence, but the gap is covered by a rubber skirt that does offer some resistance to either going into the fence so low down. Two suggestions that fans often come up with are having solid fastenings in the track under the fence(see speedibee's post above), and digging a pit under the whole length of the air fence, and as you can imagine neither is really practical. Another idea is to fill the air fence with water, which just shows what a furtile mind can come up with without thinking of the consequences.

I believe Swindon's is like that. They have a kind of trench into which the fence is lowered so it is nigh on impossible to go under it.

• Like 1

I believe Swindon's is like that. They have a kind of trench into which the fence is lowered so it is nigh on impossible to go under it.

That's the correct way to fit them I believe , but you can only do that if they stay in place all week . if they have to come out for stocks it's too big a job to dig them up and then bury them again each week

ANYONE, including speedibee, is at liberty to design, have homologated by the FIM, produce and sell air-fences. There is no monopoly.

And, for the record, Barry Briggs has never had any real involvement with the air-fences manufactured by nonpainbarries, owned by his son Tony who saw an opportunity to design a new type of fence many years ago. Tony has consistently worked to improve the fences and is, in fact, the brainchild behind the new type fences that fsp refers to.

As someone who came perilously close to suffering life changing (paralysis) injuries himself when crashing at Coventry while riding for Reading, it is a subject that has always been close to Tony's heart.

ANYONE, including speedibee, is at liberty to design, have homologated by the FIM, produce and sell air-fences. There is no monopoly.

And, for the record, Barry Briggs has never had any real involvement with the air-fences manufactured by nonpainbarries, owned by his son Tony who saw an opportunity to design a new type of fence many years ago. Tony has consistently worked to improve the fences and is, in fact, the brainchild behind the new type fences that fsp refers to.

As someone who came perilously close to suffering life changing (paralysis) injuries himself when crashing at Coventry while riding for Reading, it is a subject that has always been close to Tony's heart.

and anyone Including Speedibee is entitled to their opinion ,without having to be subjected to your pompous rantings ,

Thats true. But it's a crappy business to get in to as a newcomer. I say this while holding the pricelist beside me.

Anyway, not much help in digging the fence in to the track like in Swindon if the bike goes in first clearing it away.

I do not think that is the case, from what I recall the air fence sits on a slightly flatter piece of track at the top of the track camber on the bends and the airbag has a rubber flap, about one foot high that is attached to the bottom of the airbag and initially lays on the track but then gets covered by the shale that is thrown out by the bikes. This flap should act as a buffer but bikes have been known to go under it. The flap does stop some bikes going under the airbag if they slide across the track.

The airbags are attached to the wire fence at the top and bottom of the rear of the airbag which does allow the front of the bag to lift if hit at high speed.

and anyone Including Speedibee is entitled to their opinion ,without having to be subjected to your pompous rantings ,

YOU flatter yourself if you think for a second that I need to troll your posts.

Nothing wrong with an opinion ... just get your facts right.

• Like 1

I do not think that is the case, from what I recall the air fence sits on a slightly flatter piece of track at the top of the track camber on the bends and the airbag has a rubber flap, about one foot high that is attached to the bottom of the airbag and initially lays on the track but then gets covered by the shale that is thrown out by the bikes. This flap should act as a buffer but bikes have been known to go under it. The flap does stop some bikes going under the airbag if they slide across the track.

The airbags are attached to the wire fence at the top and bottom of the rear of the airbag which does allow the front of the bag to lift if hit at high speed.

Almost there mate.. But ignore what the other clowns say.

The ones we have Phil are different class to the old blue ones we had, this is a Tony briggs fence. But you will never stop them from lifting. And ours are pinned in tight at bottom and top.

Edited by Starman2006

The airfence used in Moto GP and BSB doesn't suffer from this problem, and their bikes are far heavier and hit the fence at twice the speed, and they are portable.