British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Jason Crump.

Great to see him mixing it with the new brigade in the Darcy meeting what a rider he was.One of the best riders i ever saw when he retired he had a few injuries he had to clear up also those bad burns he had.Be interesting to see if Jason enjoyed racing or whether he just rode for Darcy will never ride fulltime again a shame be great to see this version ride again.

• Like 1

Great rider who won many titles but I found him boring to watch. Gate and go. Similar to Hancock. Hope he stays retired as it would be a shame to see him at 90% of his old self.

Let's face it he could have ridden a few more seasons and churned out top 8 spots. But it was noticeable that extra edge, the mentsl hardness needed to be world champion seemed to have gone - in 50/50 situations you just had the feeling he would take the safe option.

One of the top 10 riders of all time imo, certainly he could come back and be an el heatleader but best to stay retired imho.

Great rider who won many titles but I found him boring to watch. Gate and go. Similar to Hancock. Hope he stays retired as it would be a shame to see him at 90% of his old self.

Very surprising Marky just shows you how people have different opinions.For me he was a proper racer his battles with Leigh over the years were brilliant remember the last year he rode at the Abbey Leigh beat him 2.1 but Crump made a great pass in one of those races.

Very surprising Marky just shows you how people have different opinions.For me he was a proper racer his battles with Leigh over the years were brilliant remember the last year he rode at the Abbey Leigh beat him 2.1 but Crump made a great pass in one of those races.

Not saying he didn't pass riders, he had great equipment, but he won most races from the gate. I'd rather see a Loram type rider than a guy like Crump who won 95% of races from the gate. I only saw him ride Belle Vue a couple of times but he was almost impossible to beat as he was quicker from the gate than everyone else. Brilliant rider and a wonderful ambassador for the sport but not box office for me.

Not saying he didn't pass riders, he had great equipment, but he won most races from the gate. I'd rather see a Loram type rider than a guy like Crump who won 95% of races from the gate. I only saw him ride Belle Vue a couple of times but he was almost impossible to beat as he was quicker from the gate than everyone else. Brilliant rider and a wonderful ambassador for the sport but not box office for me.

Would agree with that,as an example Gollob was more box office Crump was a good gater very quick when in front.First see Jason with his dad in the pits at Swindon so waited until his debut at 16 think he came in on a 2 point average.?To think he ended up better than his dad who was some rider himself unreal really a great rider and a great ambassador for speedway.

Had the pleasure to see a few seasons when Nicki P and Crump were at their peak 10 years or so ago at Eastbourne,if you saw their head to head races he was far from boring.They did bring the best out of each other,not quite the racer Nicki was, but the fastest I've ever seen there,not always from the gate and he's still joint track record holder.Like all the top riders at that time needed to be up against a Pedersen or Adams not to look boring

Edited by gazzac

He was box office for his pits tantrums on their own.When he cooled his temperament down he did become a bit boring

He was box office for his pits tantrums on their own.When he cooled his temperament down he did become a bit boring

Would you say Hancock is boring? did you see alot of Crump in league racing.?

Would you say Hancock is boring? did you see alot of Crump in league racing.?

I am talking mainly about the GPs.He was great to watch because you never knew when he would blow a fuse.Once he calmed down he just wasn't as interesting.That has nothing to do with how many league meetings and in which country i saw him

I am talking mainly about the GPs.He was great to watch because you never knew when he would blow a fuse.Once he calmed down he just wasn't as interesting.That has nothing to do with how many league meetings and in which country i saw him

As a domestic league rider he was always one of the best to watch at the Abbey.As for his tantrums he did have them but what youngsters don't with experience that went.When coping with riding against Rick and the few disappointments he had in the WC he showed great heart and a brilliant temperament to overcome them.Can never remember going to watch Crump just for the outside stuff i went to see a brilliant rider strut his stuff.