British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

Lawson Or Masters?

This isn't a frivolous one!

Sam Masters, Australian and average 8.97 has a team place in each league.

Richard Lawson, British and average 8.22, has one team place but isn't fixed up with one in the Premiership.

Is it time for Wolverhampton to now do the decent thing and give the Brit a job?

• Like 1

Richard Lawson, British and average 8.22, has one team place but isn't fixed up with one in the Premiership.

Is it time for Wolverhampton to now do the decent thing and give the Brit a job?

If every other club were made to do the same then yes.

Masters is miles ahead of Lawson so would be an unfair disadvantage.

Aussies give much more respect to our leagues so even more reason to say it's beyond grossly unfair.

• Like 5

Aussies give much more respect to our leagues so even more reason to say it's beyond grossly unfair.

Agreed.. Lawson also has the same average as Kenneth Bjerre but again there is no comparison between them. If they were at the same level then it would be a fair question to ask why it was the foreign rider who was preferred but in this case it's obvious and the right thing to do.

Is it a shame for the likes of him and Richie Worrall that they don't have Premiership places? Of course, but at the same time they do still have places in the Championship and are likely gain a Premiership spot not too long into the season.

The one to feel sorry for, assuming he's not at Belle Vue, is Stefan Nielsen who looks set to miss out in all 3 leagues and I would say that is wrong.

• Like 1

Masters, with a fair wind and a lot of luck could be the next big thing for Australia.

Lawson is the next Les Collins.

It's also grossly unfair Aussies get better looked after than British riders do in British speedway.

• Like 3

It's also grossly unfair Aussies get better looked after than British riders do in British speedway.

It isn't unfair, Masters is a much better rider than Lawson, why would you want an inferior rider in your team, fans want to see their team win.

Masters, with a fair wind and a lot of luck could be the next big thing for Australia.

I think Lawson would probably settle for being second best in the world.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 7

Noooo waaaaaaaaay!!! Les Collins only missed out on being a world champion!! And the field Inc PC, KC, BP!! What's Lawson done on the world championship trail??

• Like 2

It may not be frivolous but it is, if you'll permit me, a little short-sighted from the point of view of Wolverhampton "doing the decent thing". Masters was a pivotal part of last season's title-winning team and clearly enjoyed a breakthrough season, form which (for what it's worth) he has subsequently underlined in the Australian championship. He would surely have been regarded by pretty well any speedway fan as a nailed-on Wolf for 2017, assuming him not to be in the plans of his parent club.

Lawson, who I think is a fine rider and a top bloke (and I think the same of his dad), is not yet at that level. I seem to recall he had a Monmore season at No.8 back in the day and while that was perhaps 12 months too early for him, I'd be more than happy to see him return at some time to the black and gold. But there's no way that, for this season, I'd take him over Masters.

As far as "give the Brit a job" goes, you will doubtless have noted that there are three in there already.

It isn't unfair, Masters is a much better rider than Lawson, why would you want an inferior rider in your team, fans want to see their team win.

Maybe British riders would be a lot better if they got the Aussie deals but seeing they don't then it's unfair to judge Lawson with masters.

Edited by robert72

Maybe British riders would be a lot better if they got the Aussie deals but seeing they don't then it's unfair to judge Lawson with masters.

i know for a fact that the top brit in the world Tai Woffinden was on a very good deal last season.

Masters is a better rider than Lawson so why wouldn't he be used ahead of him???? The one that annoys people is things like Adam Ellis moved on to have a young Aussie who so far hasn't shown he is better than Ellis.

Comparing Masters and Lawson is like asking Poole fans if they preferred Holder or Chris Harris???

• Like 2

Maybe need to wait and see who Belle Vue name until Lawson's situation can be properly known. Same with Steffan Neilsen although it's unlikely to happen. The Neilsen situation is a right shocker, didn't realise he's completely without a team place.

I think Lawson would probably settle for being second best in the world.

Noooo waaaaaaaaay!!! Les Collins only missed out on being a world champion!! And the field Inc PC, KC, BP!! What's Lawson done on the world championship trail??

I was using the Les Collins analogy as someone who would earn a good living from the sport at his level. I forgot about his world champ runner up :shock::D

• Like 1