British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

A sad day to be sure. Spent many a night there watching the Dons and also a lot of nights at the dogs during the 80's.

I'm sure a well run facility would be able to provide a profitable venue for Speedway, Greyhounds and motorsports, but the second Luke Johnson and his cronies got involved it was always going to end in housing. Don't think they would have ever got total closure if it wasn't for the Trojan Horse of Football, but thats how Capitalism works.

From 'Daily Mail', page 56, March 29 2017

DEATH OF A SUPER SPORT

​THE end of greyhound racing at Wimbledon's Plough Lane stadium (Mail) affects other sports including stock car racing and speedway.

Speedway began at Wimbledon at the beginning of dirt-track racing -as it was called in 1928 - and continued until 2005.

Despite the long absence of the shale sport from Wimbledon there was still a good turnout of bikes, riders and fans at the Farewell Wimbledon Stadium event recently.

Many speedway teams shared their stadia with greyhound racing, and like that sport, there are none left in London. It is a family sport with everyone from kids to grandparents following their favourite teams, but stadiums are being sold off for development and housing.

BERT HARKINS, Wimbledon Dons rider 1973-1977, address supplied to newspaper.

Edited by Guest

I have read on another forum that security guards are in place now at Wimbledon Stadium, and possibly the demolition crew may be setting up there. Does any member know more please?

I have read on another forum that security guards are in place now at Wimbledon Stadium, and possibly the demolition crew may be setting up there. Does any member know more please?

It wasn`t on another forum- it was on this one !!!! on the other thread http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74153&page=36

I think I was correct:

(1) The title of this group is THE BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM.

(2) It has a list of forums - one of which is SPEEDWAY NEWS AND DISCUSSIONS.

(3) It then has a list of threads in that forum one of which is WIMBLEDON STADIUM: SOME IMPORTANT NEWS. It was there that I posted the item which is now under debate.

(4) This forum is YEARS GONE BY.

(5) The thread title is 2002 Wimbledon Revival And Later Happenings.

Edited by Guest

Think they are all sections of the same forum.But if you want to confuse the situation,then calling each section a different forum is a good way of going about it!!!!

It wasn`t on another forum- it was on this one !!!! on the other thread http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74153&page=36

I think I was correct:

(1) The title of this group is THE BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM.

(2) It has a list of forums - one of which is SPEEDWAY NEWS AND DISCUSSIONS.

(3) It then has a list of threads in that forum one of which is WIMBLEDON STADIUM: SOME IMPORTANT NEWS. It was there that I posted the item which is now under debate.

(4) This forum is YEARS GONE BY.

(5) The thread title is 2002 Wimbledon Revival And Later Happenings.

If you go to the very top of the website, you will find four categories listed. They are from the left reading as:

BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM ====FORUMS ===MEMBERS===TERMS

​That again IMO gives support to my interpretation of how this FORUM is compromised of a series of Forums. It looks slightly complex but that's the way it is on here.

If you go to the very top of the website, you will find four categories listed. They are from the left reading as:

BRITISH SPEEDWAY FORUM ====FORUMS ===MEMBERS===TERMS

​That again IMO gives support to my interpretation of how this FORUM is compromised of a series of Forums. It looks slightly complex but that's the way it is on here.

If you look at the official name of North Korea,you will see it is the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea!!!! Nothing Democratic about the country though......

Forwarded message re demolition possibilities at Wimbledon Stadium:

:::::::::

cityrebel

Posted Today, 08:42 AM

Large concrete blocks have been placed around the perimeter fencing since yesterday.
Edited by Guest

Not sure we need two duplicate threads. Can this one be closed, or failing that return to discussing the 2002 revival etc?

Forwarded message re demolition possibilities at Wimbledon Stadium:

:::::::::

cityrebel

Posted Today, 08:42 AM

Large concrete blocks have been placed around the perimeter fencing since yesterday.

Suppose to stop our travelling caravan mates moving in

Not sure we need two duplicate threads. Can this one be closed, or failing that return to discussing the 2002 revival etc?

This is a LINK to a collection of mainly photos taken at Wimbledon in the late 1960s-early 1970s. Click on an image for an enlargement and more details.

http://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection/C204475040

Not sure what Wimbledon in the "late 1960s-early 1970s" has to do with the title "2002 Wimbledon revival and later happenings" :icon_smile_clown:

You make a good point prodons. This thread appears to irritate both yourself and other Posters. Maybe time to take this thread down completely? Overall, the thread appears to have been a complete waste of time. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest