British Speedway Forum

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest this is the case.

Biggest myth in speedway.

This is the kind of thing that the sport needs.

Are you suggesting that a better way to attract new or old fans is to have a big screen in preference to improving the quality of the racing ?

At least I suppose they can watch the same old rubbish several times rather than watching something far better once.

Are you suggesting that a better way to attract new or old fans is to have a big screen in preference to improving the quality of the racing ?

At least I suppose they can watch the same old rubbish several times rather than watching something far better once.

Now that you mention it, yes, it very likely would.

There has never been any link to 'quality of racing' equalling 'bigger crowds' in the history of the sport.

• Like 1

There has never been any link to 'quality of racing' equalling 'bigger crowds' in the history of the sport.

There were other factors but I think it's fairly clear that the drop in crowds after the Aces move to the dog track was due mainly to the poorer quality of the racing. Many fans have given that as the reason they stopped going and some who came back last year have said it was because of the quality of the racing produced at the NSS.

I never stopped attending but the enjoyment levels last year were on a par with Hyde Road and must increase the likelihood that any first timers will return. Time will tell.

There were other factors but I think it's fairly clear that the drop in crowds after the Aces move to the dog track was due mainly to the poorer quality of the racing. Many fans have given that as the reason they stopped going and some who came back last year have said it was because of the quality of the racing produced at the NSS.

I never stopped attending but the enjoyment levels last year were on a par with Hyde Road and must increase the likelihood that any first timers will return. Time will tell.

"many fans gave it as their reason"

Why do I have a Trump voice in my head saying "everybody says" ?

• Like 1

"many fans gave it as their reason"

Why do I have a Trump voice in my head saying "everybody says" ?

You won't be joining my "Make speedway great again" campaign then.

Whatever you want to believe about what I have said or however you want to look at it the quality of racing at the dog track was significantly poorer than at Hyde Road, I doubt you will find many who disagree with that and the crowd numbers dropped noticeably even during the first season.

Last year at the NSS I spoke to people I had not seen at speedway since the Hyde Road days and it was the quality of the racing that had brought them back. There are also people on the Belle Vue Army site and the Aces Facebook pages saying exactly the same.

• Like 1

In that case, you might suggest that teams should save themselves the expense of decent track preparation because its not going to attract anyone. The racing might be rubbish but because we have a big screen we'll attract more people.

I suspect about half the people on this thread have stated they stopped going because speedway was no longer value for money - in other words the product wasn't worth the entry price. Make the product better and it just might be.

Its most certainly the case that crap racing drives people away.

Speaking for myself - and I'd admit I am passionate - I went to Lakeside 4 times last year and Sheffield 5. Lakeside is almost 300 miles and a 4 hour drive away, Sheffield is 35 miles and about an hour.

The reason for that is that the racing at Lakeside last season was very good, at Sheffield rubbish. Scunthorpe's gates are poor, but they'd go down significantly if the racing wasn't as good as it undoubtedly is.

To me, a suggestion that the quality of the product makes absolutely no difference to the number of people that buy it is nonsense.

• Like 4

Your absolutely right about the racing attracting crowds back to Belle Vue.

The quality of racing is the reason I don't visit away Prem tracks anymore as it's just not worth it. I never watch live speedway, I just record it so I can fast forward after the third bend.

Before the NSS opened I assumed tracks and bikes had changed so much that good racing was no longer the norm. That's not the case and I believe all tracks should be prepared for good racing first and not the surface that offers the best chance of a home win.

IMO this has been central to the demise of the sport over the last few decades.

The 60 seconds is all in this sport, get that right and a delay here, poor announcer, crap

food or dodgy car park become less of an issue and folk are more likely to return.

• Like 3

This was actually one of the reasons they didn't think it was a good idea, it would potentially reduce programme sales.

I'd think you'd get more revenue through sponsorship on a big tv screen that everyone can see instead of a small advert in a programme not everyone buys.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 3

Wolves regular crowds are at the lowest I can remember them in modern times, this coincidentally at the same time that the standard of racing has probably been at its poorest since I can remember.

Now mid March and in my area at least no sign of the enormous marketing effort promised by the BSPA for 2017. Is it coming after all the tracks are up and running? The number of "hotbeds of the sport" have declined so much, if what we read about Wolves attendances is correct. Is Poole the only track holding it's crowd levels up?

Now mid March and in my area at least no sign of the enormous marketing effort promised by the BSPA for 2017. Is it coming after all the tracks are up and running? The number of "hotbeds of the sport" have declined so much, if what we read about Wolves attendances is correct. Is Poole the only track holding it's crowd levels up?

Probably..

I remember (not sure what year) when the launch of the speedway season was set up at the MCN show at the excel in London, I arranged the stand, promotional material and the attendance of the Super7even girls.

After the show we held a press conference on board the SUNBORN yacht (moored up just outside the Excel) where a special season preview was produced by the team at Sky Sports and shown on a large screen projector with a full volume sound system rigged up..... it certainly put hairs on the back of my neck. It was a well attended and gained lots of national press for the sport, but unfortunately members of the BSPA (led by the promoters up in Scotland) voted it out the following year due to it NOT representing 'Value for money' for all the clubs (think it cost around £10k all in).

I think this highlights the problems the sport has faced in the past, and as this years MCN show was held on the weekend of 17th February and the season starts in 4 days time, we can only assume that things HAVE NOT changed. Looking back at the potential this sport has had at numerous points of its life it is very sad to see it so lifeless and relying on the attendance of the remaining hardcore supporters to keep it going.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 3

Well - if they got rid of 'Double Points' they would get me back straight away.

As long as that Rule exists - I will not attend.

Well - if they got rid of 'Double Points' they would get me back straight away.

As long as that Rule exists - I will not attend.

no double points this season hope you enjoy your speedway this season then.